Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
This guy casting with artosis shouldn't cast with artosis. Tasteless could maybe save him from himself, but I don't think "somehow a bigger goober than artosis" is a good pairing with artosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zillions magazine posted:

This game was so loving good and reminded me why I used to fanboy so drat hard for Flash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQq2zHWSamU

Flash first person is kinda insane. Even compared to other top korean terrans. I have pretty decent apm in rts games, like 240-280 average depending on game, and the speed he does certain things at blows my mind. Specifically, mouse movements mid-game. Especially when clicking on multiple production buildings or using science vessels. Lots of other great stuff about his play from a "good at bw" perspective.

Also, that game is cool as hell in itself. It's not really something you see in tournaments.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 31, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I wish they streamed ASL on Twitch. I only find out about these games after they happen :(
I think they stream them on the GSL channel on twitch.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Elephunk posted:

i don't really get the context - why is he so upset? got 3 hatch linged or something?
He had a build order win but got out microd hard and also didn't have anything to defend. (maybe, not familiar w/ zvz)

It's also just a show. It's his gimmick.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 11, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Blizzard just wanted control over esports, and look at what they've done with it in every game they have had that control: sucked balls.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 19, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Did larva gain like 50lbs?

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Larva is probably the best zerg in the world right now.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ShadeofBlue posted:

Just mute the video :shrug:?
Then you can't hear the starcraft sounds!!

It's weird that BW is one of the few games that doesn't release pro replays.

edit: vvv I know, but that's not the same as a tournament replay.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 5, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002
where are people watching the brood war

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

no zergs advance past ro8 :whitewater:

e: no terrans advance past ro8 either :whitewater::whitewater:

Tossed out of the competition.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
This is a pretty entertaining TvZ from recently. Lots of twists and turns.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Anyone actually playing SC Remastered?

Any tips on where to find people to play against, any good videos or websites that go over current meta builds (and opponent's builds, and key concepts in matchups and build vs build)?

Any good practice maps?

I'm a bit undecided between terran and zerg as well.

Seems like battlenet is always super dead.

The videos I found on youtube weren't very informative.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 2, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Please link games you're talking about. I don't know if I'm an old man or what but I never remember where to watch brood war.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Do you think they named overlords because they are reminiscent of WW2 overlord or were they named overlords because it fit the theme and then someone made the connection and thought it'd be cool to add drops and stuff?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

as bad as sacsri's performance was today, he's sadly the second best zerg in the world who is actually playing, and the best is action who seems off his game. maybe larva will get up there but that dude has consistently underperformed like hell. with effort and soulkey gone, i doubt we see a zerg in finals in the next year or longer.
Larva beat a top chinese player with his feet and knew he would never be better than he was at that very moment.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 14, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Game 3 of finals was insane. It's not particularly insane for spectators, but if you've ever played starcraft in your life think about it from a fog of war or game plan perspective for either player. Just nuts.

I'd have ggd g4 in the first 5 seconds after that one. Props for him trying to stick to his plan even though g3 was a literal "greetings from masters league, gold league player" tier refutation of his entire play style.

I don't think I've ever seen someone predict everything so wrong that it was bordering on a build order loss, give a protoss that many bases for so long, and then casually walk out and win at this level of play in BW. Flash's entire push was just a "well, I shouldn't sit here I should poke a bit because this is only going to get worse" and it just snowballed to an instant win.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 2, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Elyv posted:

Not that the push wasn't insane, because it was, but Flash's siege harass on Snow's third was like equally insane to me. Casually sends out his dropship with 2 tanks, sits there denying mining from those 3 patches for 30 seconds, and is somehow able to get out right before that little squad is surrounded? Flash's game sense is so absolutely absurd
The wraith doing exactly what artosis said it wouldn't was good, too.

I'm surprised they didn't point out how uncharacteristic of him it was to just casually lose the wraith after seeing the base.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 2, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002
My favorite finals game is when one of the observers desync and you can see them switch to the other observer briefly but then switch back to the desyncd one and it takes them a while to resolve it completely.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Elyv posted:

A much, much better set of games than Sunday's mediocrity.
It's always kinda interesting seeing someone like Stork play. You can tell he's a total monster at the game, but he was right in his exit interview that he screwed up macroing really bad at one point and his timings were slightly off.

It didn't mater at all though because he completely out classed his first opponent and just straight called out Larva's greedy play and broke him through brute force in a way most pro protoss would not even try. 5 sunkens and some lurkers? I'm going to walk right in with no loving observer, stand there hitting the sunkens while getting a lurker beatdown, get stopped, and I'll just keep the gateway train rolling behind a casual third and attack a few minutes later even though my opponent could have fully recovered. There are some pro players who just "get" the game and Stork is one of them.

A bit disappointed Larva lost that. Larva's mechanics and play seem so solid this ASL compared to the previous. That game was not out of reach, but Stork just kept saying "prove to me what you're doing is actually legit" and Larva couldn't because Stork sat on gateway units and didn't give him any breathing room.

Maybe I'm writing Starcraft Fiction because I'm garbage at the brood war.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 19, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Elyv posted:

I was very skeptical about Inner Coven but so far all the games on it except group a have been good to great

This last group was just good in general too, I thought games 1, 2, and 5 were all great

I wish it had been forgg and light that advanced, Light because he was the best player in the group, forgg because he really put in the prep. I definitely didn't have 14 CC middle vs floated barracks bunker rush vulture drop on my bingo card
The interesting part is 14cc mid actually worked well and wasn't why he lost.

I'm also glad the two who advanced, advanced. That protoss player is extremely good. Not Bisu level in terms of micro, his micro seemed more pragmatic, but the other parts of his play were at a higher level than many other people we've seen so far. I wanna see some Z :(

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i am pretty sure he just means on his streams. last i knew, random was banned for tournament play.

unless he means he will pick a random race for that given tournament, which would be fun. tasteless mentioned how flash's protoss was almost as good as his terran, but personally i'd love to see how flash played zerg.
I'd love to see him really play zerg too.

Flash Zerg would be insane because he knows when he can get away with more drones and when he can't, and he is one of the best in the world when it comes to managing multiple fronts while still macroing. Which could be huge with zerg.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The finals weren't bad. The game on the 2p map was interesting to me.

They weren't insane best finals ever or anything, but it was a solid end to a tournament with a ridiculous number of amazing games.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
When is there gonna be more brood war?

I was also debating picking up aoe2 or sc:remastered as a game I actually play. Not sure which I'd choose. It doesn't help that the only people I know who play RTS these days play age of empires 3, aka the most boring RTS game I've played this decade.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

College Rockout posted:

Does the T next to Flash's name mean he won't be playing random for this teamleague? I really want to see his random game.
I hope Flash crushes as random so that they ban random from tournaments and force you to pick a race in the lobby. Random is going to give flash an immediate advantage in most matchups provided he can perform. And 1/3 times he gets Terran which means he gets to be flash playing super-terran due to the opponent being forced to consider if he's Z or P.

It makes sense that he is playing Terran in a team league. I hope the next ASL he busts out random.

Gmaz posted:

I tried both and if you're interested in online play then I recommend AoE2: DE - much more players (outside Korea), and less brutal skill curve.
Skill curve isn't too big of a deal. Being an east coast US player is the bigger issue in SCR which ties into the player count thing you pointed out.

I like the macro of aoe2, kinda I wish certain things scaled a bit faster, but I've never liked the units/combat aspect of it that much. Certain things are fun (dodging siege, boat combat, microing to keep melee/cav on things, splitting archers/focus fire with archers) but overall Starcraft is the game that originally killed Age of Empires for me due to micro and unit design. Warcraft 3 too, but well reforged ruined that.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 14, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002
it's august 4th where is flash getting crushed or crushing while offracing

Khorne
May 1, 2002
finally watched the flash random games

flash is really good at bw, had some trouble executing at the highest level at off-race unit control but everything else was ridiculous & even there, he out controlled in the pvp he won to a disgusting degree even though the cameraman failed to show it, and he had some really smart/good play in the zvz vs queen where he put himself in a winning position and then lost from underestimating what queen could/would do

bw is a complex game and I hope we see more flash random or flash focusing on one off-race at a time

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 6, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Ultra impressed with the protoss in that game.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I wish more scourge connected in the protoss base in the ogre gamer game. It would have been a wildly different game!

Ogre gaming is a sound strategical choice.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 8, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002
It always cracks me up how frequently flash can blindly move his army and just completely out position people. He just sits around for a few minutes with no vision and then casually moves around an army he can't see getting the perfect position.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 11, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I finally had time to watch the second half of today's games. What an ASL so far.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mata posted:

I love how they show the countdown in the lobby during flash's games just to add that extra bit of suspense to the race coinflip. I really hope he makes it to the finals, the potential for amazing storylines is just so high regardless of whether he wins or loses.
I just hope he doesn't get a lot of ZvZs. I feel like any other matchup he has a real chance, but in that matchup it just requires way too much micro that has no terran analogue and doesn't play into his strengths at all.

I'm glad Tastless+Artosis are realizing what the zerg life is all about. You are playing a race that can gambit in 3 different directions at any given moment. Direction 1, you make a few more drones than you "should" if it were a game of perfect vision. Gambit 2, you make a few less drones than you should and make your opponent prove he's being honest & on your level. Gambit 3, your opponent counters your tech but you don't switch and keep massing that tech unit anyway (OGRE ZERG GAMER).

Ogre zerg seems to have a massive issue in BW where when your opponent gets enough corsairs they hard counter scourge. That happened a few times this ASL.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 13, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Aces High posted:

Is that what that stupid OGRE ZERG bit was about? I felt like changing to the Korean streams every time because christ were those forced
It was about in ZvP where you go mutas and your opponent knows. Artosis, the principled player, views the only option as then tech switching or moving the game plan forward. In his mind it's a dead end because not only are you stopped in the air and by static defense but the psi storm followup is inevitable. Tasteless said a lot of times the zergs will just keep making mutas and hide it from you. Maybe they won't even show you the initial mutas. You'll start making corsairs and cannons to prepare for the mutas that never come or where they come and you stop them. Then you feel comfortable and think the game goes to the next phase until the zerg shows up with 20 more mutas a few minutes later.

They dubbed it ogre zerg because it doesn't seem smart to keep making units that your opponent "countered". The ogre is stubborn and is going to beat you to death with his weapon of choice whether you think you countered it or not.

The reality is ogre zerg works fairly well. If your opponent under reacts in a game of imperfect information you just roll him. If your opponent can't keep up mechanically you will roll him (and overrate the strategy, the players who overmade scourges and got crushed fell for this imo). If he makes sufficient things to negate it his tech is delayed and he is "matching" your resource expenditure on static defense and a flying unit that can't hit ground. You can then use mutas to snipe high templar, get great information, and be a constant pest while he can use corsairs to constantly scout & threaten your mutas and overlords. It's a very dynamic way to play that isn't seeking an advantage so much as an imbalance where both sides now have to juggle machetes in addition to the rest of the normal matchup. The zerg has the worse end of it in an actual fight, but to get into an actual fight you have to cross the map and the mutas can more than pay for themselves in high templar snipes & storms cast.

Then there is the reality that zerg has the option to not make mutas at all. Or to stop at a few. Whether the player has a tendency to crutch on mutas or not can heavily weigh on protoss decision making. Larva abuses this often, because he loves to get mutas vs protoss but he will fake or avoid getting mutas sometimes in critical games.

edit: Just watched today's games. You can see this stuff at play even more than in the previous games of the tournament. Including what happens when Protoss doesn't buy into the corsair hype.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 13, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If flash could play random vs terran only I'd probably bet on him to win the tournament.

I really want to see how he approaches ZvT. His opener was clearly to punish CC first, but that's more meta gaming against how rush expects flash to play: scout late, be as greedy as possible. Zerg should be flash' weakest race both playing as and against. And it looks like the top 4 is going to be a zergfest

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 18, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Keegers posted:

As someone who doesn't play scr, I noticed during Flash vs Rush they all have different sized view boxes on the minimap. Both flash and rush have a smaller window available where as the observer is biggest. I know in sc2 observer can zoom out farther so i assume the same is true in sc1. But what I don't get is why flash would play on a more zoomed in screen. Wouldn't he want the most vision possible? Does a lower resolution help with micro?

SC:R added spectator zoom. One player plays at 16:9, the other 4:3.

People who played old BW a ton will play pillarbox (4:3) so they have all of the muscle memory/pattern recognition that they practiced for thousands (probably 20,000+ hours for those who have been grinding since the kespa team house days). Blizzard were kind enough to add a dpi scaling option so the mouse will even feel identical to old 800x600 bw at modern 4:3 resolutions.

New players need to choose between pillarbox and bottom-left ui 16:9.

There is a "standard" minimap position option in 16:9 that pads the side and matches 4:3 minimap position, but it can obscure units due to UI size. Especially near the sides of the map. The other frustration is you can't scroll past the edge of the map in BW, so when you go to the edge of the map everything is in a very strange position relative to where you expect it to be if you played a ton of 4:3. Even if you are a 16:9 player, like me, who has played other RTS games a lot (like SC2) the edge of map behavior is frustrating enough that you might consider playing 4:3.

4:3

Standard (same position as 4:3, notice you can't see the drone, also notice the drone could be hidden in tons of places because you can move behind those minerals)

Bottom-left

The drone in the bottom left illustrates the main differences. The edge and corner of the map are super important in BW because bases tend to be there and lots of harass happens there too. The screen is in the same position in all 3 screenshots. I just want to emphasize again that you literally can not scroll farther left or farther down in any of those three screenshots.

16:9 doesn't give enough of an advantage to get people to switch, but it might give enough of an advantage that new players should play 16:9. You also see people playing 4:3 in counter-strike quite often, although stretched 4:3 not black bar 4:3, for similar minor min-max reasons + muscle memory/visual pattern recognition. And there are times they will get killed when they would have hit a flick shot had they played 16:9. In BW you can play around the vision difference quite well due to the nature of the game, but there are probably times it helps. I haven't really played SCR more than a few hours so maybe there are even more differences I didn't notice.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 19, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Larva vs Soulkey is up. It's not bad as far as zvz goes.

soulkey's interview before the match gives away how the match is going to go

One interesting side effect of ro8 is if zero beats best then flash will only have to prepare vs z. I think tastosis are sleeping on how game warping the 1/3 zvz will be for his opponents on some maps. Flash is the type of player who will choose a single all-in for zvz and do it every single time he randoms zerg.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 25, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Heavy_D posted:

Quite a series today, especially games 3 and 4...
G3 was crazy. Flash was completely outplayed and going to get crushed. It looked like the typical skill gap between flash and other players but in reverse. Anyone else would have lost that game probably. The spectator wasn't even following everything he did to make that work.

G2 was the kind of strategy I expected. With real unfortunate results that time, but imagine how that game would have gone if soma opened a bit more normal. It would have been crazy.

G1 was really typical: extremely tight macro, extremely tight timings, being in the right place at the right time, and putting the least actions possible into as many places as possible.

G4 is a good game also. I am confused about why he didn't go up the ramp and instead auto attacking the sunk with a few marines from the bottom. Looked like the worst of all worlds - mutas can just pot shot the frontline & you miss the sunk so much with those marines. Was his attention just elsewhere and that wasn't the sunk position he expected so it looked weird to spectators but wasn't an active choice from the player?

G5 so much went wrong :( everyone has had plenty of those games but not as the best player in the world in the ro4 @ asl

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 2, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I don't get why tasteless & artosis favor queen. Yes, when he was at his peak he was a better player than Larva was at the time. Right now in 2020 I'm not convinced. Larva's ZvZ has been very good & consistent lately. He likes to get slightly ahead and then play defense until just overpowering the other zerg.

Second Ro4 match is up between those two. Can't wait to watch.

edit: G1 reaction: see it's exactly like I thought. Rest of the games: ouch.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 2, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Flash vs Larva 3rd place match is up.

G2 is very fun.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 7, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002
It's not ASL but it's about as entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSnHyt-S8U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Are there any custom ais for bw and/or are they good/worth playing against? I very rarely have trouble against the comp though sometimes they'll 4pool me and if you haven't built for it lol you're gonna lose to the comp it seems
https://www.schnail.com

artosis playing them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAhf-g6qND0

I don't think they support scr which is kinda lame but understandable.