Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

The brood war resurgence has been the only good thing in the past year and I'm so glad it's happening. Setting an alarm at 5am to watch Flash v Jaedong a few weeks ago was definitely worth how miserable I was at work that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

I might be getting a little too hyped here, but HD Brood War is kind of unprecedented. Reviving the former king of esports is kind of A Big Deal, and, along with Dota 2, if it does well can usher in a new ideal of keeping the same esports just updating their look/polishing the engine now and then.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Synastren posted:

I mean, except for the HD remakes of the Infinity Engine games, the HD remake of Age of Empires 2, and the incoming FF7 HD remake, sure. Devs are cashing in on nostalgia for 90s games pretty hard in the last couple of years.

None of those are former esports. None of those games (arguably) redefined their genre.

I was saying unprecedented in that the remaster could make brood war the number 1 competitive RTS again, and even potentially bring it in-line with Lol/Dota/CS:GO in terms of current esport popularity. I'm very, very excited at the prospect of brood war coming back to the forefront during a time when esports is actually understood and moderately accepted, rather than what it was in the early 2000s.

It's unprecedented because we've never seen a game be a hyper competitive esport with an insanely huge scene get brought back and remastered years after its declined and its playerbase has moved on (for the most part.) Mostly because esports is so young, but seeing where this goes is a huge part of my hype with it.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Remastered BW isn't going to get anywhere near the constant levels that LoL, CS and DotA get. I doubt even Overwatch numbers, although it could probably pass HotS.

Looking at it now with modern sensibilities, it's a janky as gently caress game with strange unit interactions and deliberately limited control options. It's not going to bring in vast numbers of new viewers, just bring back some old BW grognards that lived it in its heyday. Nostalgia sells, but it's not going to bring back the crown and fully revitalise the scene.

Have you played Dota? Dota 2 is literally a game where they intentionally replicated every single stupid janky interaction that was a limitation of the original engine the game was on. You can STILL a-click the ground to drop turret aggro on you. Sure, BW has some quirks, but they add to the ceiling of the game.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Actually the Dota meta is pretty diverse atm. I'd say 35-40 are picked routinely, give or take.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

WDIIA posted:

DAT SCAN

This game was so loving good and reminded me why I used to fanboy so drat hard for Flash.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Elyv posted:

oh, bisu vs soulkey happened a night ago

it wasn't great

no not at all actually

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

isndl posted:

They don't have vision to know how far back the tank line extends. Terran has Vessels out by that stage of the game so Observers aren't going to last very long, and if you try diving in with your Arbiter it's going to get hit by EMP.

Just stasis the backline after EMP goes off, obviously :v:

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

What a loving bummer. No wonder he just played like, 2.5 straight up macro games against the best macro player in history.

He probably didn't even want to be there.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Minrad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTdGqzrv7wQ&t=210s

v nice

:roflolmao: when he collapses screaming into his pikachu doll while jaedong watches holy poo poo

I love this so much

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

blizzard is such a garbage loving company.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Yeah for all the illegal copies of brood war I made for friends in middle school I definitely paid that back over the years with repurchases.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

I would love a super minor balance patch that just made some of the unusable/fringe poo poo fractionally better just to see how much it would shake up the meta

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

God drat Group B just gonna be muta/ling for like 4 solid loving hours

Zombies magazine fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 22, 2017

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

animatorZed posted:

There was a brief mention of it after one of baxter's games, but what's the deal with sea not being in this tournament? They didn't really explain other than saying baxter replaced him.

Didn't sea have some like ridiculous poo poo going on with his ex-wife and the custody of his kids during that last tournament? Maybe he just needed a break/is still dealing with that.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Yeah it was shine, I saw the S name and blanked :shrug:

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Yeah the bisu/flash match bouta be hype, then a quick stomp in the finals almost assuredly.

But I'm glad Larva got as far as he did. He's fun to watch and I hope he continues to improve off-ladder, I love watching his stupid aggression

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Flash is my hero for game 3 but what are you gonna do against that hot Bisu tech

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

It looks like Sky might have been arrested for match fixing

https://compete.kotaku.com/starcraft-remastered-pro-arrested-for-match-fixing-1823809648

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

loving rapid annoys me every time I see his face.

Even Artosis seemed pretty over his poo poo during the shuttle/rain match

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

I'm trying to avoid spoilers about this series but re game 1: i'm so glad valkyries are being used, i was hoping that the remaster (which notably fixed the valkyrie bug) would allow pros to actively take advantage of them in tvz

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Elyv posted:

Pros started using valks back in 2009 and I don't think the sprite bug would have been relevant in the spots where they were built that game.

I'm still a full KSL day behind and effort v last had some great games and some innovative ideas but I'm pretty sure the best part of Starcraft in the last week is Artosis repeatedly dunking on Tasteless for his unironed shirt in KSL game day 1.

loving lmao guess I’m gonna catch up on that tonight

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Those finals were good. This was one of the better ASLs imo, at least the knockout stage portion. It had some clunkers but man there was some really awesome, innovative play and effort looked monstrous in the finals. that game 1 win was the most "oh poo poo" moment in recent brood war for me, the vulture surrounds were absurd

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Man some real fuckin good brood war the last few days

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Lilsusie is in overwatch with Cloud9 now I believe. Also, is married to Montecristo, notoriously annoying former League-turned-Overwatch caster/analyst. At least he's not Thorin, I guess

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Jesus that game lmao, Tasteless had me rolling

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

"but what if this is brilliant"

not even a GG at the end, and the observer doesn't leave immediately holy poo poo I'm crying

Zombies magazine fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Is there a vod/stream timestamp anywhere? I just woke up from a turkey coma

Nvm there's a video on the official twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/514721194