Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Surprise announcement at the GSL semifinals.

We get a single elimination exhibition tournament from our BW bonjwas before the GSL final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Preface: I enjoy watching pro BW. I like playing it on some occasion.

Zillions magazine posted:

I might be getting a little too hyped here, but HD Brood War is kind of unprecedented. Reviving the former king of esports is kind of A Big Deal, and, along with Dota 2, if it does well can usher in a new ideal of keeping the same esports just updating their look/polishing the engine now and then.

I mean, except for the HD remakes of the Infinity Engine games, the HD remake of Age of Empires 2, and the incoming FF7 HD remake, sure. Devs are cashing in on nostalgia for 90s games pretty hard in the last couple of years.

BW is unique, but that's about it for how unprecedented it would be to remake it. :v:

Fanatic posted:

Really? Says he played in a major Sc2 tournament just last year: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/IEM_Season_X_-_Taipei

Edit: Anyway I haven't really followed Sc2 in a couple of years so I'm a bit out of the loop on the pros, watching deathballs running into each other got too boring. I'm just glad BW came back! I even used to hold a subscription to watch it back on GomTV when Tasteless would cast on his own (sometimes with Susie or SuperDanielMan) :)

Flash literally officially retired three months before that tournament, for what it's worth. Hell, Flash won his only SC2 gold two IEMs before that.
Soulkey was left teamless as of June of last year and basically left SC2 around that time. There is maybe 6 months difference between them both retiring from SC2.

As for deathball problems, that's not really the thing in pro SC2 as of Void. The game is drastically different than it was before Void. Swarm had a LOT more in common with Wings than Void has with preceeding SC2, in fact.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Zillions magazine posted:

None of those are former esports. None of those games (arguably) redefined their genre.

I was saying unprecedented in that the remaster could make brood war the number 1 competitive RTS again, and even potentially bring it in-line with Lol/Dota/CS:GO in terms of current esport popularity. I'm very, very excited at the prospect of brood war coming back to the forefront during a time when esports is actually understood and moderately accepted, rather than what it was in the early 2000s.

It's unprecedented because we've never seen a game be a hyper competitive esport with an insanely huge scene get brought back and remastered years after its declined and its playerbase has moved on (for the most part.) Mostly because esports is so young, but seeing where this goes is a huge part of my hype with it.

Brood War didn't redefine the genre. You had two styles of RTS back then: C&C and *Craft. The Craft version was much more popular until things like SupCom extended the C&C formula a lot. And C&C eventually used the Craft formula in Generals.

SCR will not be the number 1 esport anywhere except for Korea; thinking otherwise is wishful optimism on the magnitude of thinking Hilary would have had enough dissenting electors to be POTUS. :v:
It will enjoy a brief resurgeance for a few weeks, but it will likely go back to niche status within a few months. Granted, the scene will be much bigger than it has been--the game will be free, after all, and will get exposure--but it will not dethrone anything. It might be the deathknell for SC2, but I doubt that.

poo poo, Dota2 was very nearly a remaster in the same vein.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

WDIIA posted:

As the resident Brood War grognard, I really don't think that BWHD is going to send BW back to what it was, or even close to the big esports in Korea. But I think BWHD's greatest potential is that it gets more people playing the PC Cafes, which is where new talent is formed. The greatest threat to BW is the lack of new blood; TBLS is dominating, but they all have to go into the military fairly soon. If BWHD can help churn out some hot new stars, it would go a long way.

You aren't yalmsteen???

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

JollyPubJerk posted:

Where the hell is SC:R? I thought it'd be out already. School is starting. They've killed all the excitement for it. Even Day[9] has hosed off to host the Dota 2 tournament.

August 14.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Loiku posted:

Does anyone know when the first tournament will be shown using the remastered version?

There was a casters-only launch event using SCR. :v:
As for Real Tournaments, I would assume the next one will be broadcast in SCR.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Fanatic posted:

I was wondering that too so had a google. Flash missed the qualifiers because he was already committed to playing tournaments in China. Of the other missing big names, Bisu & Hero are doing military service and Larva got eliminated in qualifying by Movie.

Ya, Flash had prior commitments, and decided to uphold his word rather than ditch a much smaller Chinese tournament to play in a bigger KR league. Ditching local events does horrible horrible things to those tournaments, so he got a fair amount of praise for that decision when the league started up.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Dancer posted:

Hey, so my pet favourihe player back in the day was Fantasy. Is he still relevant, like, at all?

Fantasy recently completed his military service.

He made the bold choice of returning to StarCraft 2, rather than ride the new wave of SCR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Rain vs Last is about to go down on the Official StarCraft twitch! SC2 showmatch to cap off the first round of the SC2 global finals!