Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Out of all the theory-crafted "if pros used this it would actually be useful" that are out there, I've always thought D-Web had the most potential. I will lol forever if in 2017 it actually becomes part of the meta
It was an odd serious of counters that led us there, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else gives it a shot at some point

EDIT: In Group F, FBH showed that even after all the time away he's back in classic form and got wrecked by Protoss as usual. I respect that he was going a modified Deep Six but I have no idea why he was trying to contest the nat low ground so much

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Since it all got noticed late it's really hard to say the exact order of things without replay, but Ample was rallying the ghosts to his front door and I was able to hear a ghost shot being fired a fair bit before the ASL observer caught what was going on, so I suspect that Ample scanned the stargate tech going up at some point, threw down the covert ops (Lockdown can work against arbiters too I suppose,so not sure how far along his tech path Rain was), Rain saw the ghosts at the front door and while bailing out on carriers still decided to make the Beacon tech still work for him

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 20, 2017

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Super Duper Disagree, having a variety of colors is part of what makes Brood War so much more visually interesting. Everything being Red and Blue is boring as gently caress

EDIT:

Elephunk posted:

I definitely have lost at least one game to brown units moving past my scouting ling without me seeing

Shift-Tab homie, it's what all the pros do

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 21, 2017

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Outside of B being fairly lmao on the face of it, I gotta say that man those are some pretty solid groups across the board. Outside of one or two people I can see almost anyone moving on

Gonna be a Good Ro16 I think! Tell yo friends!

dogmother1776 posted:

Shine is gonna beat Conor mcgregor and 2-0 his group
Trump_Saying_"Wrong".gif

This is the year Larva unlocks his true potential. The power of goon will carry him far

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 22, 2017

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
As I understand it, and I haven't dug that deep tbh, Sea touched a woman on stream and people said it was inappropriate so he was banned. He proclaims that it was staged or something, and I haven't cared to watch the video to see how bad it was. But there you go.

There was also someone on TL trying to stir up that he was match fixing for a mysterious hard-core rightwing mobster known only as "Mr. Mo" or something to that effect but ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh didn't really hold together for me

Group A : Also kinda legit shocked that neither Mong nor Shine, who both looked like straight killers in there groups, didn't make it out. But Baxter really did play well. Maybe mutas are coming back into the meta?

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 25, 2017

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
So Fish, which for a long long time was the major Korean server, has closed down. It's a bit of a surprise to me after the included Fish support in 1.18, but there you go.

There's a lot of gnashing of teeth on TL (of course), but I don't know enough to say what really went down. What is of note, and its why I'm posting it here, is that it may signal a bit of a retreat of the Koreans from 1.8/SC:R back towards 1.16.1. It's also not good that the prime circuit for Korea players went away, even if MMR is much better in SCR (which I can't really comment on personally)

Also gently caress the GSL Super Tournament for making this a week without Good Starcraft

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Tastless is back for Group D

First two games have been p. good

Also on top of the official broadcast 30,000 people were watching Bisu's stream during Jaedong v Stork

Antares posted:

it's low praise but i would take him over GTR

I feel so loving dirty finding myself agreeing with this

EDIT: JD :smith:

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 10, 2017

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Y'all

Y'all

Rain v Larva Game 3 Y'all

Y'all

EDIT: Game 4 also p. good

Larva is just about to show us his final form

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 15, 2017

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
I don't mind ads that much Jesus KT get some new ones in rotation

Also bring back ~*~SPARKULING~*~

Also wanna echo that yeah, Tastetosis were in really good form last night, probably the funniest they've been in a while

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
So while there was some solid micro in points Soulkey v Hero was wholly skippable. Game 4 was pretty sloppy and therefore kinda interesting if you have time I guess

I think Larva gonna straight murder the winner

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
I personally think that ZvZ is generally more coinflippy than a lot of really into BW people are willing to admit, but this:

Elyv posted:

The number of times they lost a drone to a single zergling without even reacting was very frustrating to me when watching a quarterfinals match. I actually think ZvZ is a deceptively deep and skill-intensive matchup, and I thought some of the play and decision making was below the level I'd expect in the quarterfinals.
is pretty spot on. For a Ro8 set, with both players having ample time to prepare, and one of them just being ranked #1 on the ladder, it was a very frustrating set to watch

Also, I was thinking while watching it, "man, I really miss Proleague." I think ZvZ works really really well as something that pops up in a situation where matchups are fluid, but a 1v1 long set, loving woof

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Flash started playing at 14

Funnily enough, right when he started he had a reputation as a cheesy player who was pretty strongly dislikedd

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

Elyv posted:

Rapid solo cast :chloe:

ffffffffffffffffuck that

Between that and the results I'm glad I had other things to do last night

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Yeah, I'll probably watch the Korean VoDs at some point to catch up

I heard the games were decent but I really wanted Larva to win, so it's going to be a bit heartbreaking

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Watching Bisu-Flash on the ASL2 account with FlashFTW, certainly not may favorite castor but less bad humor than Rapid

Game 2: Proof why you should always stasis the back tanks, not the front. Bisu walled himself off

Game 3: loving lmao at Flash going Deep 6 in a semi-final game, shame it didn't quite work but I enjoyed it

End of series thoughts: Pretty disappointing set from Bisu, of course Flash rules but a lot of Bisu's play just felt off in the clutch moments. Game 4 just felt kinda sad. Was hoping that things would have gone longer
I think that Hero may take a game off Flash, but Flash should be winning his second consecutive ASL. 3rd/4th place match between Bisu and Larva should be p. good I think

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 31, 2017

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
I feel kinda bad for hating Rapid, because he clearly has passion for the game and wants to do well, and he also has to cater to a pretty low denominator (ole DubDee here is most certainly no fan of the TeamLiquid """""""community""""""", and I can only image the SC reddits are worse)

But his knowledge just isn't there and his humor is just nails on the chalkboard for me. Maybe I'm just too old

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
The old prevailing wisdom that top players were one rank lower on off races. So if Flash is an S class Terran, he's an A class Zerg/Protoss, because even if he doesn't main those races he has to be pretty initially aware of those races's mechanics and timings.
However, I suspect that that maxim doesn't quite hold up in a non-pro team setting.

In the old days for the Proleague Allstar event they would do fun things like have three players of each race on a team, go into a game random, and then do 5 minute rotations for each player. Want to see things like that again.

I don't know if people saw it, but Bisu pulled out of his automatic seeding for ASL 5, which almost certainly means that he's going to the military. So that's Bisu and Jaedong both gone it seems. And I've had the feeling the Stork is wrapping up too as well :/

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Bisu will enter the military from December 5th

Look out Kim Jong Un, the Revolutionist is coming for your short and fat rear end

In the old Proleague days the Korean Air Force made a Starcraft Team originally to utilize popularity of Boxer, so maybe they'll come back!!!!!..... probably not

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Larva is truly the hero we all need and deserve

Of course a bunch of the TL Autist crew are mad salty which makes it even better

(BM is the best thing ever)

E:crazy lolling at the dude in chat talking about North Korean Metal. Also Larva's Terran is seemingly legit legit

E:

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 4, 2017

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Hey there fam, if you've been wondering why things got quiet again it seems like Afreeca was trying to do another Team Battle League but Blizz shot them down again.
gently caress you Activision fucks!!

But prelims for ASL 5 are supposed to start in February, so hold on a bit longer

Also Bisu shot expert in his marksmanship training and got a medal, because of course he did

Anyway, that was meeting reading TL so you don't have to!!

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Update:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/530249-afreeca-ceo-calls-on-fans-to-pressure-relevant-gaming-company-to-begin-asl5

quote:

Thanks you for the encouragement, [username redacted].

It's true, in terms of just business, ASL is in the red, and our world first APL is also deeply in the red. But it's not about business, it's about creating culture where our BJ's (streamers) and users get together to create content, and that's way more valuable than a balance sheet.

Everyone called BW a dead game, but the ASL has revived it as a culture that fans around the world enjoy. Battlegrounds was considered difficult to turn into an esport, but I'm happy and satisfied that we're the first to step up to the challenge.

However... as with ASL4, ASL5 is going through a rough patch. The cooperation of the relevant game company is important, but it just isn't working out. The important thing here is the voice of StarCraft 1 fans. I request our users to strongly urge that relevant game company to start ASL5.

AfreecaTV is already ready to start ASL Season 5.

Everyone had left Brood War, saying it couldn't make money, all the companies had left, but it was able to revive itself through ASL. The reason that it was able to live again as memory and culture for fans in their 20's to their 40's was because of streamers and gamers who love Brood War.

Make your voices heard.

I want to start ASL Season 5 quickly. It saddens me.

This is why I was solidly on kespa's slide when Blizzard/Gom were doing their smear campaign when SC2 launched

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
So after missing the first bit of the tournament due to an extended work trip I finally managed to catch up (although I skipped all the Rapid games)

While I'm certainly not 100% sold on this map pool I have to say I enjoyed the majority of games I watched. Ro16 Group C brought the hype like the old times

As a Flash Fanboy I'm kinda sad that he got bumped out, but considering that Snow was one of the "this guy is so much better than his record suggests" dudes I'm pretty happy with it.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
In terms of pure entertainment I think it's pvp > zvz, but zvz does have the advantage of being over far quicker.

Of course TvT master race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Oh yeah I made this thread
Between work, getting a PS4 and pretty much leaving SA I stopped following stuff, but in checking some retro stuff and seeing this thread I was reminded that "Oh yeah that's right, Brood War rules."
Think I'll go back and watch through the ASLs (starting with 6 it looks like). Also this team league looks right up my alley. Any other tournaments work going back and watching or major drama/developments/happenings since early 2018?
Also Flash is playing random now? That's pretty cool.
Sucks about the English cast, but reading that news takes me back to the old days with Cholera and Rise and Diggity commenting over 240p videos broken up because of the Youtube 10 minute limit... and loving every second of it