Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
guys i heard the new generation of amd cpus might be... good?

it even clocks up to four gigahurtz. i thought the average was 2.66, this is very unsettling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
everyone at Intel has been on vacation for the last four years. they just keep releasing the same CPUs every year with a new name. so far no one has noticed.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

even if they bench really well, i still won't believe it.

on the other hand, the bar is so low that it would be difficult not to surpass expectations. they released a lemon architecture and locked themselves into three revisions. they gave up producing high end desktops after the first revision, and left us with a parting gift of a 220W cpu. it would have been fine if they stuck to the original roadmap, and had been done with the bulldozer nightmare in 2014. it is now 2017

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

amd is still and will always be trash for poors, op

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

St Evan Echoes posted:

amd is still and will always be trash for poors, op

do not forget the glorious athlon/opteron timeline

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
im actually pretty hyped about it, they showed ryzen is the same speed as a 6900k in blender (not avx512 optimized like real 3d software) and now the price leaks show its under $500 vs $1000 for the 6900k

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

man intel needs some real competition real bad-like

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

intel keeps cramming more cores in to their xeons and thats all I care about

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

amd lol

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i bought amd stock when it was $3 and sold it at $5

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hifi posted:

same, but bitcoin

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

meanwhile intel has this bullshit going on with the C2000 series atom: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/07/intel_atom_failures_go_back_18_months/

*glances at 20-month old DS415+* gently caress

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SO DEMANDING posted:

meanwhile intel has this bullshit going on with the C2000 series atom: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/07/intel_atom_failures_go_back_18_months/

Lol at all the cisco enterprise dickheads having a cry about it. this bad boy is Latvian powered

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

it would be cool to have 8 cores for a home server at reasonable price

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I bought myself a Supermicro Atom server and thought it was really awesome, of course it had to be too good to be true :(
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101837

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SO DEMANDING posted:

The intel puma 6 chipset a lot of the new high end cable modems are using is a disaster.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Raere posted:

You can always keep an eye out for idiots selling used equipment for hilariously cheap. I scored a dual xeon e5520 w/ 48 gig ram on craigslist for like $200 last year.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Raere posted:

get one of the expensive compute sticks, slap a usb ethernet dongle on it, and mount vhds to your nas over smb

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

intel keeps cramming more cores in to their xeons and thats all I care about

yeah

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i got a 8320 plus motherboard for $50 a while back and i only had to update the bios so the onboard nic would work in linux. it 's better than the q6600 it replaced. the weak link now is the laptop hard drive that holds the os. i should figure out how to move the non essential for boot crap to the big zfs fs

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lol at yahoo finance not showing the name of the symbol anywhere on the page

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lol at yahoo finance not showing the name of the symbol anywhere on the page

he's scrolled down

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
remember when i posted a thread about how i was thinking of buying amd stock less than a year ago when it was at like 3.5 and didnt and NOW ITS AT 13 loving DOLLARS

i remember

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
this is only going to drive intel's chips to be cheaper and still no one will buy amd so this is, in the end, a good thing

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

hifi posted:

i got a 8320 plus motherboard for $50 a while back and i only had to update the bios so the onboard nic would work in linux. it 's better than the q6600 it replaced. the weak link now is the laptop hard drive that holds the os. i should figure out how to move the non essential for boot crap to the big zfs fs

125w

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

everything in this screenshot is second-rate

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it runs cooler than the q6600. people seem to think that the tdp is what it runs at all the time

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hifi posted:

it runs cooler than the q6600. people seem to think that the tdp is what it runs at all the time

well yeah obviously you set the power profile to MAXXXIMUM PERFORMANCE and disable all the thermal management settings

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

you amd bro?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I bought a radeon rx480

I've gone full AMD

looks like it somehow is able to make richer blacks than my previous card (gtx 750), maybe it was configured wrong?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I bought a radeon rx480

I've gone full AMD

looks like it somehow is able to make richer blacks than my previous card (gtx 750), maybe it was configured wrong?

now that pagancow is back he can tell you all about crushing blacks

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

rule 36 af if your posting rig isnt an 8xE7-8894 v4 within 24 hours of release

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

wheres my skylake e5s

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hifi posted:

same

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Raere posted:

wheres my skylake e5s

WHEREEEEE

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'm enjoying this fully sick amd video card

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

I bought a radeon rx480

I've gone full AMD

Nvidia drivers have a weird default where they don't let dark areas get too dark if using hardware rgb -> yuv conversion. It's dumb and bad but you can perma-disable it in one click

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

akadajet posted:

now that pagancow is back he can tell you all about crushing blacks

Baha'i ain't fixing grandpas computer.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Skim Milk posted:

you amd bro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

• Locked thread