Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Raere posted:

home server

use the cloud, bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

intel keeps cramming more cores in to their xeons and thats all I care about

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

h.265 encoding is a serious problem, even on some of the fastest intel processors it's barely 1 fps with a single pass encode on 4+ghz quad core systems. Someone needs to up the game.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

it will be hardware encoders on the gpu, same as 264.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ryzen is looking to be good compared to previous AMD offerings and on par with intel chips from a gen or two ago which given Intel's last several generations means that it's basically almost on par with current gen intel poo poo.

That being said, no way am I switching to AMD for anything. My Ivy Bridge 3770k is still fine.

If it does turn out well, AMD will actually be back to "Not as good as their competitors but cheaper" instead of being a comedy option

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

you know intel is just waiting on the next μarch to be like "OOOHH OOHOHHO OHOOH HAPPY FEET, WOMBO COMBO OOOOOHHOOHHOHOOH GET YOUR rear end WHOOPED"

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

pagancow posted:

you know intel is just waiting on the next μarch to be like "OOOHH OOHOHHO OHOOH HAPPY FEET, WOMBO COMBO OOOOOHHOOHHOHOOH GET YOUR rear end WHOOPED"

are you ok?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yea i love intel

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

pagancow posted:

h.265 encoding is a serious problem, even on some of the fastest intel processors it's barely 1 fps with a single pass encode on 4+ghz quad core systems. Someone needs to up the game.

sounds like u hosed up by not using the Intel Quick Sync Video hardware HEVC Main10 codec

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Nvidia drivers have a weird default where they don't let dark areas get too dark if using hardware rgb -> yuv conversion. It's dumb and bad but you can perma-disable it in one click

that sounds dumb

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

atomicthumbs posted:

sounds like u hosed up by not using the Intel Quick Sync Video hardware HEVC Main10 codec

lol its only 8 bits

https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2015/12/11/codecs-are-they-slowing-you-down

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also thats like the best local news headline ever

CODECS. WHAT ARE THEY, AND ARE THEY SLOWING YOU DOWN? TONIGHT AT 10

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cant they just double the bits

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pagancow posted:

it's not a problem because almost nobody uses h.265 aside from 4k bluray and pirates. it was stillborn thanks to patent pool bullshit and garbage licensing fees

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pagancow posted:

also thats like the best local news headline ever

CODECS. WHAT ARE THEY, AND ARE THEY SLOWING YOU DOWN? TONIGHT AT 10

It's u!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

that's from 2015; kaby lake and above has 10-bit

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

The_Franz posted:

it's not a problem because almost nobody uses h.265 aside from 4k bluray and pirates. it was stillborn thanks to patent pool bullshit and garbage licensing fees

lol if u arent mastering everything 10-bpc hdr just lol

12-bpc min is the new acquisition format.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

imma let you processor chat but, we're all kinda hosed with 8-bpc limited bit-depth support on reasonably compressed file formats.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

processor chat:

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-full-lineup-pricing-clock-speeds-leaked/

okay now lets armchair EE this motherFUCKER!!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

4 core HT at 65w for $199

basically intel will just slash their prices to destroy amd

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

At $370 the cheapest 8C/16T is still the most attractive out of them all. It's the 4C variants that are disappointingly priced since you can get the Intel equivalent for only $100 more for the past 6 years.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i just use lagarith to make sure i retain as much of the vhs grain and noise as possible

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

mishaq posted:

use the cloud, bitch

lol and rely on Comcast for everything? lmbo

little AMD Turion is pretty miserly on power and can transcode 720p no prob

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

corncobbed

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

the leaked benchmarks looked decce

people going crazy because it doesnt crush intel but lol if anyone thought that was in the cards, all amd needs to do is be in the same peak perf ballpark while hitting at least 15% better ops/$ to not piledrive/bulldoze itself into irrelevancy again

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Breakfast All Day posted:

people going crazy because it doesnt crush intel but lol if anyone thought that was in the cards, all amd needs to do is be in the same peak perf ballpark while hitting at least 15% better ops/$ to not piledrive/bulldoze itself into irrelevancy again

cool i'm excited to replace my 2010 amd cpu with a 2017 one.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i have a token amd friend box, i celebrate computer diversity

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

i have a token amd friend box, i celebrate computer diversity

same. it is an athlon xp. i think the last time i powered it on was 2008

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Skim Milk posted:

corncobbed

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Raluek posted:

same. it is an athlon xp. i think the last time i powered it on was 2008

same and same

also 2 pages and no more cores amd comic? did they change to something normal?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

athlon XP / nforce2 supremacy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTn8QjTHAgo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
it's a little befuddling to me seeing people go :supaburn: over cores

when i upgraded three years ago i got a non-k i5 and it's been great to me, i still feel like i "just" upgraded to haswell

but then i rode a core 2 duo for like five years

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I'm still mad about single-thread performance.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just going to point out once again that it was easy to see a better try from amd coming based on them having jim keller back for a couple of years to design zen

guy went alpha 21164 -> 21264 -> amd k7 -> hypertransport -> amd k8 -> (a high-performance mips implementation that broadcom bought out, but not one would remember) -> pa semi -> apple a4 -> apple a5 -> amd zen -> uber (in a bit of a tragedy for all)

since he is gone amd will shortly go back to bungling all things, but at least they are likely to have a decent uarch for a generaiton

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
wasnt there news at some point of a bio cpu made from fish cells

what ever happened to the fishy cpu

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Agile Vector posted:

also 2 pages and no more cores amd comic?
:agreed:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's a little befuddling to me seeing people go :supaburn: over cores

when i upgraded three years ago i got a non-k i5 and it's been great to me, i still feel like i "just" upgraded to haswell

but then i rode a core 2 duo for like five years

yeah it's because intel stopped making faster cpus after sandy bridge.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

the problem with amd isn't that they don't have decent price/performance on benchmarks, its that their ecosystem is total poo poo and an amd cpu with an amd chipset is basically unusable. it might be ok for certain large scale computing where individual core pricing becomes more important, but for workstations and consumer systems AMD will still be non-competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

OH NO NOT YOUR ANIMES

• Locked thread