Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This manga freakin blows rear end and isn't worth the minute it takes to read each new chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Ah, I love the smell of shitposting in the afternoon.

Not.

It's a series with obvious flaws, of course people are gonna chime in with them in a thread.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Yeah, I have my issues with it too. Just remarking on the quality of the complaints themselves.

On the flip side the praise is basically just "it's cute and good" which ain't high quality critique either!

But I'll step it up and say that it's a manga that starts off with some decent gags, but then it's content to spin its wheels and repeat the same gags with its one-note characters over and over. Sometimes it breaks out of that cycle and there's something clever (usually involving Carol) but for the most part it misses more than it hits and as a result that just makes it incredibly stale to me.

I know there are people here that read a lot of manga that can point to a bunch of series that do similar things with much better execution, but I'm not much of a manga guy these days so I can't name those alternatives off the top of my head.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dryzen posted:

It being cute doesn't really help that it lost any of its initial draw after nothing kept happening over and over and over and over again. If nothing happens again from the current thing that's happening then it pretty much perfectly illustrates what everyone doesn't like about it.

Yeah basically this. I assume there are a lot of cute series out there that also have other merits to them! It's why I don't like "but it's cute" as a general defense, there are a lot of options out there! You might as well be drinking dirty rain water when there's a perfectly clean water fountain a few steps away.

El Burbo posted:

Recently I was reading Mousou Telepathy, another daily 4koma, and then memory of Tomo made me really appreciate how well paced and meaningful the development of the main character's female friend from two-faced liar to genuine best friends felt.

I binged that recently and yeah, it might only one page a day but it's clearly developing its characters and knows how to tell more than one joke.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

wheelgun wielder posted:

I like Tomo-chan. I suppose I could list reasons why, but I will not.

Because I've learned that, for myself, taking apart a thing to figure out why I do or do not like it, is similar to taking a pet frog to a junior high school science class and having them vivisect it. Yes, we all learn much more about frogs, but our pet is never going to jump around ever again. It will sit there and rot, and that is all.

I'd rather have a pet with innards that are all a mystery to me. But that might just be me.

Proceed with the vivisection, if you must.

:pwn:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

What even is-

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ka0 posted:

There's a chance this won't turn into Ranma 1/2, it might be interesting.

This is an insanely hosed up out of nowhere diss on Ranma, what the h*ck

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I remember watching super low res Ranma 1/2 episodes on RealPlayer in 8th grade (1999) and thinking it was the most badass thing when Ryoga learned that move that made rocks explode and actually put up a decent fight against Ranma.

Does Ryoga ever get hooked up with anyone, or do all the romantic spoils go to Ranma?

Pretty sure he doesn't get anything official. In fact nobody really gets to hook up by the end, because even when Ranma and Akane are finally about to get married at the end, it winds up being like everything else in the series. The mood is ruined because of all the hijinx that you would expect to happen when the entire cast is gathered into one place.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Chat thread hive mind have decided it's bad so now no one can post about it anywhere

This is a lame post!!

I believe in the ability of adtrw posters to dislike a thing of their own volition.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Disliking it is one thing, descending upon its thread to shitpost is another. I have no idea why tomochan elicits such a volatile reaction from chat thread posters but boy folks get worked up over tomochan not being perfect.

On the flip side even mild criticism of it gets some weird reactions. There's no cabal of people that decided to hate tomochan for no reason, it's just that when any negativity at all is called out as shitposting that happens to fuel some resentment that keeps bouncing between both sides!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Your interpretations of other poster's reactions do not belong in this thread. Please stop the spam.

The posts about shitposting fall under that same umbrella too tho. I'm just trying to reach some sort of earnest understanding about those reactions.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Then PM me, or use the report button please.

I think we're in a misunderstanding here, nothing I'm talking about requires any action, and the posts I was making were related to the subject of the thread!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Burbo posted a funny edit and reacting to it with a victim complex is friggin AIDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

El Burbo posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yo on what planet is making funny edits of a manga spamming

What the hell

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)