Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The last chapter will involve both Tomo and Jun when they're 85 years old and Tomo will be on her deathbed from cancer or something and will say "I like you" to Jun and then Jun will say "I also think you are a good friend Tomo" and then she will die and it will end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Srice posted:

This is an insanely hosed up out of nowhere diss on Ranma, what the h*ck

I remember watching super low res Ranma 1/2 episodes on RealPlayer in 8th grade (1999) and thinking it was the most badass thing when Ryoga learned that move that made rocks explode and actually put up a decent fight against Ranma.

Does Ryoga ever get hooked up with anyone, or do all the romantic spoils go to Ranma?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

2/22/2017 - The Tomo-chan Massacre

Never Forget.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Manga like to have romantic/pseudo-romantic scenes during fireworks and then reset the status quo immediately afterwards.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I will never stop finding it funny when teenage boys are portrayed in manga as not knowing what being attracted to a girl feels like. I can excuse it in shoujo manga or when the author is a woman, but you'd think a male author would understand that there isn't really any ambiguity there unless the guy is actually confused about his sexuality or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dire Lemming posted:

What Tomo really needs is a wardrobe change. Something that says you should really go out with me to Jun.

I don't mean like a dress, I literally mean a shirt that has "Jun you should really go out with me" written on it.

No, Tomo needs to learn from Yamada in "B-gata H-kei" and just flash Jun.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I forget, is Carol actually a white person or is she half-Japanese?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm pretty sure Misuzu is just going to end up being upset about a potential relationship between Jun and Tomo causing the friendship dynamic between the 3 of them to change.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wait, what's going on with Carol here. Is that last comic a joke about Carol feeling disdain towards Tomo's lack of knowledge of fashion, or is it Carol having a blank face because she's acting crazy/weird?

edit: I'm guessing the former but I dunno about Carol man

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jun seems pretty enthusiastic about protecting Misuzu. I think I know where his real interests lie!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm starting to think Carol is some sort of supernatural entity.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wallrod posted:

Tomo doesn't need protecting and misuzu is a dumb dumb. Also i'm glad i don't have to scan through 500 chat thread pages for new tomos.

Even Tomo wants to be princess carried every once in a while.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Bruce Lee did not die from a brain tumor

When I was a kid my dad told me Bruce Lee died because he just became too strong/fast and that the human body couldn't sustain that level of performance. He did not tell me this as a joke.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like Carol because she's the only character in this manga who doesn't really fit any existing manga character stereotypes. Misuzu is cool, but she's also a relatively standard "acerbic ice queen" type character, while I can't really think of any clear comparisons for Carol.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like anime denseness makes more sense when you mentally translate things to a real-life situation. Like, with anime faces it's really obvious when a character is romantically interested in another character, but in real life there generally aren't the same "this person is obviously attracted to this other person" expressions (at least not unless the person is specifically trying to show their interest).

There's also the fact that, as readers, we're aware from the beginning that there's going to be some romantic pairings between characters, but in real life someone could always just be attracted to an "NPC" instead (or no one at all).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This Jun + Carol mini-arc is actually kinda unexpected. I wasn't really expecting the comic to put these two particular characters together for any extended period of time. Having Jun interact with non-Tomo characters actually makes me like him a lot more as a character.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does Jun have some actual reason for being so standoff-ish with Carol? From his perspective, it seems like he's being a dick for no reason to this random cute girl who wants to hang out with him. If he knew her well I could understand him (correctly) assuming she's loving with him, but otherwise it just makes him come off like an antisocial dweeb.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Carol will come to school the next day wearing Jun's skin.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I will never cease to be fascinated by the complete and utter terror anime/manga fans have of NTR. I have a very difficult time even thinking of any mainstream titles where something that could be defined as NTR actually occurs, yet the mere presence of a male character other than the protagonist speaking with a potential love interest causes the comments section to be flooded by people completely flipping their poo poo ("OH GOD IF THERE'S NTR I'M DROPPING THIS!!!").

I genuinely do not understand the response. I'm imagining that every single one of these folks must have PTSD from walking in on their S/O in the middle of a gang-bang or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I Was Reborn in a New World Where Nerd are Freaked Out by Stories of Betrayal by People They Trust!

Man, these isekai novel names just get more and more obvious.

Well, actual betrayal is one thing, but "the mere possibility that betrayal could technically occur" isn't quite the same thing. I can understand people getting bothered by when NTR/betrayal actually occurs, but it's another thing entirely to preemptively expect it, especially in a genre where it's virtually guaranteed to not actually occur.

I agree with the guy who said it's a meme. It feels like "NTR fear" wasn't really a thing (at least in the sense of a bunch of people specifically referring to it by the Japanese acronym) until several years ago.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What is the Japanese that was translated to "RAWR"?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

「がお〜」

Ah, thanks. Yeah I guess that's about as close a translation as makes sense.

I wish Carol had kissed him on the lips instead of the cheek and then used the typical anime "kissing on the lips is a normal greeting for white people" excuse.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Grouchio posted:

The first chapter.

This gave me Girls the Wilds vibes and they almost feel like NTR-pissed level vibes.

In Girls of the Wild's, didn't Queen confess to the protagonist and then the protagonist said "no" for some completely bullshit reason like "because you're richer than me" and then they randomly met in Japan after a time skip for some reason? That guy was such a dumbass, I remember he would literally reject the financial assistance of his gazillionaire friend because of his ~pride~ despite it actively preventing his siblings (who he supposedly cares about) from having a drastically better life.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, the point of that was to make Walt's actions completely inexcusable and prove that he wasn't motivated by his family like he said

In the case of Girls of the Wild's (and other Korean fiction I've read), I get the impression that "the nobility of poverty" is even more of a trope there than it is in the West, with characters just sort of assuming that if someone else is rich and they're poor that that's the immutable and correct state of the world and that it is noble to accept your station in life. Like, as mentioned, I realize this is a trope to varying degrees in many different cultures, but at least in the US they usually try to justify the situation through portraying the wealthy as smarter and more hard-working. But in Korea (and Japan to some extent from what I've seen) you'll frequent see people who literally inherit their parents' huge companies and are portrayed as being somehow innately superior due to their lineage. In the US, media usually tries to at least give some illusion of meritocracy (which, to be fair, is arguably just as harmful).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Has this boyhood pact been referenced in the past?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

There was an entire flashback arc about it

I don't remember it. What was it about?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Onean posted:

It's literally on this page of the thread.

Ah, sorry, somehow I didn't make the connection.

Jun will defeat Tomo by suddenly hugging or something during a fight and throwing her off guard.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When you think about it, it's kind of messed up that Jun needs to establish his physical superiority and dominance over Tomo for a relationship to be possible. Like the idea of dating a girl who is stronger than him is inherently out of the question.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

These characters using a DS as part of their childhood makes me feel really old. I remember getting a DS after it came out while I was in college.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

This girl named Caroline tried to assault me. (self.mensrights)
submitted 1 hours ago by Notagameboy

Carol creates 10 sock puppet accounts to reply to Jun's thread. They later decide to do an offline meet-up and Jun shows up and no one but Carol is there. Carol then blackmails him with all his embarrassing internet posts.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Near the end of the manga it will be revealed that Carol is actually the Prime Minister of the UK here in disguise. To, uh, learn about Japanese schools or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

is she angry because Carol messed with her friend, or because she still has feelings for Jun? I'm assuming the former.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think Carol stabbed Tomo in the comic before the most recent one. Both Tomo and Jun are looking at the knife that is currently embedded in Tomo's torso.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I can't wait for him to gently caress it up in typical romcom fashion.

I wonder how badly he'll pull it off. Will he say he's already in an arranged marriage? Or simply go with 'I'm gay'? Maybe he'll go completely out of left field and claim to be Genghis Khan!

Eh, since they're not the Alpha Couple it's entirely possible this could work out and they end up together.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tomo actually has ebola, but is just so strong and healthy that it only affects her to this extent. Jun and others will not be so lucky.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Now Jun is free to pursue romance with his crush, some unnamed girl in their class at school. Before he was bound to Tomo, but now he is free.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

As someone who has been kicked in the face by a world champion female kickboxer -

Women can more than keep up with men.
Holy poo poo.

- and yes. Gakuran tomo would be good :hai:

I mean, at the top competitive level in certain sports, they generally can't. Of course some women can beat/keep up with some men, but if Tomo wanted to actually do competitive sports as a career or something that wouldn't work out so well (though it's not like she'd be allowed to compete with men at the professional level, so I'm not sure why her dad would be concerned about that in the first place).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I didn't realize that Jun honestly thought Tomo was a guy (up until middle school, at least). I thought that he technically knew she was a girl but just chose to ignore it and treated her like a guy friend.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if misuzu was actually any good at being a puppetmaster she'd be insufferable. instead, she's actually just as dumb as the rest.

Didn't her plan with Carol basically go exactly as she intended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Misuzu should have kept the short hair.