Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

TODAY'S PROMPT FEBRUARY 10th 2017: The sun is missing. Metaphors are literal now. Somebody is searching for something they didn't actually lose.

Where is she?

Sunshine, where did you go?

Just a short moment ago you were warming my with your light, firing up my life.

Please come back.

I must find you, but all I do is spin fruitlessly. I looked left and right. I looked up and now. I looked within me, within my burning heart. I cannot find you anywhere.

I grow frigid without you. Please come back. Please come back.

Please come back!

I want your warm caress. I want to feel your soft touch again. How I wither without you... I cannot live without you.

And it isn't just me.

Terrified are the creatures on me. Your disapperance was taken as a sign of evil times coming. Sacrifices are made to prevent bad fates. The priest gesticulates with the dagger. Much blood is being drawn on every bit of land. Cities burn as offerings to Gods which aren't.

Oh. Wait.

Is that you?

Sunny, you are back!

Playing peekaboo? Don't do that to me, Sunny... Don't hide your beautiful face behind that ugly rock ever again. I was so worried. I thought I'd never see you again.

I missed you.

I love you too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

You're not actually scared of monsters -- nobody is. You're scared of what they say about the world, or yourself. With that in mind, write something that scares you shitless.

"That's all? A dusty table, a camera, a TV, two horrible chairs... Surely there must be something more to it", thought Samuel Pokojnik.

He waited in line for six hours to get into the world's scariest room. He watched countless people run out of the room screaming. A troll left the room crying. Even a topielec seemed outright blue with fear.

The room had a great reputation and was priced accordingly. The reservations had to be made weeks in advance and even then the line-ups were atrocious.

Samuel sat down in one of the chairs. He didn't like the camera looking at him. The smell was unpleasant, bleach and antiseptics, with a tinge of incense.

A figure slowly took shape on the opposite chair. The hair. The scars. Everything was the same. The Other Samuel nodded his head in a gesture of greeting.

"Oh, a mimic. I'm so scared. I think I need my mommy", the Original Samuel quipped sarcastically. Mimics were old hat and no one was scared of that.

The copy smiled faintly. "I want to show you something."

The giant TV screen in one of the walls came to life. Times Square was particularly busy at this time of the day, it being rush hour. The screens on Times Square changed. Every single one of them was now showing the room, two Samuels included. A crowd gathered quickly. The Original Samuel thought he saw his mother in the crowd. Or maybe his girlfriend? It was hard to tell.

"We are being recorded", the copy continued. "Everything that is said in the room will be said on Times Square, for everyone to see. The same program airs in all of the other major cities of the world, at their local rush hour."

"How come I never heard anything about it?", Samuel the First puzzled.

"The room has a special presence. You have to visit the room to see its activities. Only those that confront their fears are privileged enough to witness the broadcasts. Or... Maybe this is a fake? Who knows. To be honest, I have no idea myself. The previous host also had no idea."

"I am afraid of nothing. No human, no monster, no thing can terrify me!"

"How brave of you, Samuel Pokojnik. Yes, you have died many years ago and nothing has even made you even a bit anxious since then. So typical for a zombie, yes. I have my ways, however. I look like you, but any mimic can do that. I can also think like you. I can also be like you. I can become you."

"Try me"

The copy nodded and began. "Age two. Your first memory is your crib. You were always alone. Your parents never liked you. You were a mistake, a broken condom. Age four. Your grandfather teaches you cruelty to animals. You pull frogs apart with your hands. You throw snails around and crack their shells. You still enjoy it to this day, Samuel Pokojnik of the Bronx."

An ogre rickshaw driver on Times Square stood up to his full height, accidentally dumping out his cargo.

"take my life take my life take my life", Samuel the First chanted dumbly.

"Two days after your sixteenth birthday. With Laura, yes? You don't remember her name, but I do. You two were..."

"NOOOOOOOOO! STOP!"

"... but you weren't really agreeing. You imagined his face smeared in dragon excrement. And then..."

"... so drunk that you don't remember that you bought ten... "

"... it did not matter to you that he was family, you just wanted to feel alive again... "

"...and then you entered the room. And here we are."

The monitors on Times Square returned to their usual broadcasts, restoring the traffic patterns. The TV switched off. Samuel had no words.

"Mimic. Mimic, please. Tell me... Was this real? Was all of this really broadcast? Please, I need to know."

"It might have been. It might not have been. Who can tell."

The Samuels were quiet for a moment.

"I don't want to go out there. I'm scared. My whole life, out there... My every secret. Every thought. I can't face this shame."

"Maybe there is a way out. I know you. I am you. I know what you want."

"There is a way? Oh please, please, please..."

"I will take your life"

"Yes! Yes! Do it! DO IT!" Samuel Prime closed his eyes and awaited the killing blow.

The killing blow did not come.

One of the Samuels melted all over the chair, losing his shape. The other stood up from his chair, took a deep breath and ran out of the room, making sure to look as scared as possible.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sitting Here posted:

This was written in response to Muffin's first prompt, though I think it could fit with the second one too! Mainly I just used this thread as an excuse to vent about a horrible nightmare I had, but I think I have something worth building on. All crits welcome, if anyone is so inclined

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vFnva8lEiKRNKBgpMDOcjUgDzb38vCELARKxpAAskNk/edit?usp=sharing

Wait. What? First prompt? "The sun is missing"? But there isn't a missing sun in the-- Oooooh.....

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Prompt for tomorrow: What the gently caress did just happen?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Prompt: All this work for nothing, but at least we get to share a moment of time together before we die.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Prompt: A bell is rung. A candle is blown out. The book closes. The dance begins.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Prompt: He knew he was wrong, but he chose to argue anyway. The heat was oppressive, despite the downpour.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to be busy all day tomorrow, so might as well do this now.

Prompt: Everything is perfectly still, except the two of them. She's frowning. He's smiling. They are here to save the world.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Prompt: Everything is backwards and sideways. Her agility is unmatched. Only three more to go.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Prompt: I'm joyful. I'm beautiful. I'm loved. Everything is fine.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Prompt: A new warlord rules the streets of the city. The party was interrupted by an armed gunman with a sense of humour. A muffin has been left behind.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Prompt: Numbers. You need the numbers. You need all of them. All of them. The numbers are important, yes they are.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Prompt: March 13th is Holi, the Hindu holiday of colors, love and forgiveness. Will the bad luck of the unlucky 13 win? Or will the carefree joy triumph? The talking black cat knows the answer.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Prompt: You had your fifteen minutes. You squandered them. What now?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Here were supposed to be dragons, but they are out to lunch. You need to wait and the weather is making it hard not to be upset.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Go. Blue. Red. Flash. Green. Red. Flash. Yellow. Red. Flash. Sound. Stop.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rewrite an ancient Roman scene, using at least one anachronistic piece of modern technology to skillfully derail things. Include Norse Gods too.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
We are running a very elaborate checklist. Everyone hopes that something was missed. Nothing was and we regretfully have to proceed to the next stage.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

5D AUTISM SPEX posted:

prompt: my thoughts circle like ancient sharks when my feet have trespassed 'cross sainted grass blades

"Praised be God, the Lord.", I mutter as I cross the grass.

"Praised be God, the Lord.", like butter I bypass the glass.

"Praised be God, the Lord.", the shutter I harass with class.

"Praised be God, the Lord.", "Nutter!", I utter, as I reach impasse.

"Praised be God, the Lord.", big cutter so I can pass the mass.

"Praised be God, the Lord.", I stutter, their nerve gas has sass.

"Praised be God, the Lord.", the clutter!, alas, I feel no stress.

"Praised be God, the Lord.", heart aflutter I surpass and ingress.

"Praised be God, the Lord.", Poisoned supper! Success! I egress.

"Praised be God, the Lord.", that I don't have to keep saying that. They should be dead by the morning. loving saints and their telepathy.

Long live the North Wind Deiciders, the men who have made up their minds to be free!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Prompt: The secret country of Taured exists. You'd know, being one of the people who killed their ambassador and participated in the cover-up. The problem is, we now need help of the people from Taured. Awkward.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Prompt: The woman is carrying a cross up a hill. Saturn is overhead. The moon is red and in pieces. The end of days is coming.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A reclusive writer, she was a shy and bookish girl. For her day job she wore round glasses, a polka dot dress, a disarming smile and a loaded shotgun.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
We are out of fuel. Did you hear me, dumbass? We are loving out of fuel! poo poo!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Prompt: And so it came back full circle. The Gods once more have ascended to the aether, leaving only legends in their wake.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The birthday is coming. How does one give a gift to someone who needs everything but will accept nothing? The ground rules of reality itself will need bypassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

How much more must I wait?

She said she would be back, she said... She always keeps her word.

I have been here for a decade, waiting. I know she will be back.

Honey, not even death will stop you, I know it.

Please come back.

• Locked thread