Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I posted this in the WritingPrompts sub on Reddit and they banned it for being too long. But I've been thinking about this as a starter for some sort of short story for a while so I'm posting it here. If this is too long for SA as well, whatever. Most of it is just a recap of history from the Bible.

Prompt:

In the time of the Old Testament, God's presence was palpable.

After selecting the Israelites as His chosen people, He led them out of exile and to the promised land in a series of monumental events including a great string of miracles. He rode above them in exile as a cloud, as a pillar of fire, clear and true and manifest. To keep them well and set them on the right path, he decreed a set of laws for them to follow, passed down directly by his word.
But people are fickle, and against His plans things went bad again and again. Every attempt to set the populace back on the right path was followed by more turning away. It became clear that no imperfect being could follow all the laws of a perfect one, and things would never be truly right. Sin was an inescapable facet of Man's free will.

A solution was needed, and finally the ultimate solution was chosen. God sent his son, his only son down to Earth to create a new covenant. His son would die, and in dying would account for the sin of all humanity. From that day forward, all who truly believed in God would be allowed to enter Heaven, the sins of their lives forgiven, covered by the death of Christ. The life of Christ himself brought more miracles, and more direct exhibition of the presence of God, subsequently passed down through the generations.

Now, two thousand years later, evidence of God's presence has all but disappeared from the world. The Christian church carries on, but reports of miracles are rare, isolated, and impossible to prove. Over these 2000 years the Christian church has spread and multiplied, been challenged and split, grown and also withered. But a communiqué from Heaven itself has been a rare, some say entirely absent thing.

Some say God fell into a deep depression after the death of His son. Some claim that in an attempt to treat all of humanity fairly, God became afraid to act at all, holding back His great hand with indecision as the world slowly falls to ruin. Others more optimistic, say He has merely begin to employ a light touch, a subtle guiding to the ways of things.
The history on Earth we can study. The question is, what has been happening in Heaven and in the mind of God over the last two millennia, to have things as they are? And what is His plan now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I tried to sort of suggest some directions it could go at the end but probably didn't go a very good job.

What I was trying to get at is probably better summed up as: Assume that all the Bible stories are true. Why does God not seem to be around anymore?

While the usual conclusion from God's seeming absence is that God really isn't there and the old stories aren't true - or are at least greatly embellished - I thought there could be an interesting short story in explaining what's actually been going on up in Heaven to end up with things as they are.

• Locked thread