Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition is just a really well done update of the original Titan Quest and its expansion Immortal Throne.

At its core Titan Quest is an ARPG in the vein of Diablo, but based in the ancient world and around various mythologies. We'll be starting in ancient Greece, but we'll get progressively crazier from there. I'll be playing with Agent355, showing off this game that we've both sunk hundreds of hours in to playing. From basically when it came out to when Diablo 3 was released it was THE game in its genre. I think it's very well done and would like to convince you all of the same.

Titan Quest was made by a company called Iron Lore, who you almost certainly have never heard of. The company released THREE whole products: Titan Quest, its expansion Immortal Throne, and the Dawn of War pseudo-expansion Soulstorm. Shortly after Soulstorm came out in 2008 is when THQ decided to poo poo the bed and Iron Lore disapeared into the ether. There were a few rumblings from a company named Crate Entertainment being founded from the ashes by a few members of the Iron Lore team, but not much of substance was released. In 2012 Crate Entertainment posted a kickstarter for a game called Grim Dawn, which recieved over half a million dollars of backer money. It was finally released in 2016 to great critical reviews and is hailed as kind of a grim dark spiritual successor to Titan Quest. If you've heard much about it or even played it, this is where it all started.

I'm sure we'll wax poetic about this game plenty, so let's just roll film:

Blackmage Yapo fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Masteries

We talked about them a little in game, but here are the full descriptions for them. Imgur gallery if you prefer

Defense - The Defender specializes in surviving battles but offers little in the way of offensive enchantments. Many skills focus on utilizing the shield to deflect attacks and disable enemies.

Dream - Drawing power from the dream world, the Seer uses sheer force of will to dominate the battlefield. The arcane workings of the psyche, time and reality itself are all playthings for those who have mastered the secrets of the mind.

Earth - Adept at raining down destruction over large hordes of enemies. With most skills designed to deal damage, the Pyromancer relies on a colossal Earth Elemental to hold the attention of enemies.

Hunting - Master of bow and spear combat. Piercing attacks penetrate enemy armor and high level bow skills will tear through large groups of enemies. The Hunter must rely on speed and range to stay out of the reach of enemies.

Nature - The Wanderer can call on denizens of the forest to deal damage and shield them from enemies. Healing and defensive auras allow allies to survive longer and fight more effectively.

Rogue - The rogue is unmatched at dealing rapid damage to single opponents or wearing them down with poison and bleeding. Reliant on hit-and-run tactics, the Rogue is less well suited for handling hordes of enemies and must employ trickery to avoid being overwhelmed.

Spirit - The Theurgist combines offence and defense with insidious life stealing skills that leech enemies' vitality while bolstering their own. At higher levels the ability to summon a powerful Liche King dramatically increases damage-dealing ability.

Storm - Excels at dealing massive lightning and cold damage to single opponents or small groups. The Stormcaller has limited personal defenses but can slow, freeze and stun enemies with frost and thunder attacks.

Warfare - The Warrior excels at dealing out physical damage but pays little heed to defense. With higher mastery levels the Warrior can learn to deal damage to several adversaries at once.

And since I'll be using two classes, here are the combo names:

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Voting

So I'm going to be playing whichever classes you guys vote for. Agent will be playing something with an opposite playstyle to show off a bit more of the game. Vote in BOLD for the TWO classes you would like to see me play, most votes is my first class and runner up is the secondary. We'll run voting for a couple days at least, but I'll probably cut it off abruptly when we get time to record the next section.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Hunting and Spirit sounds like a necromancer which is always fun, or is summoning kind of the least useful way to go?

Super stoked to see a new LP from you two as well. Loved Grim Dawn and kinda bounced off Titan Quest so keen to see more.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Rogue and Earth because who doesn't want to be a jazz hands style magician. Flaming daggers for life (this was a combo I remember enjoying).

Kin-Kin
Apr 23, 2014
Earth and Dream as earth has an appealing picture and dreams are our future.

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Dream and Rogue is pretty fun. IIRC it has a synergy that teleports you into the middle of a mob and sets off a huge explosion, turning you into a human cruise missile.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Nature and Spirit, assuming your partner takes a pair of classes that can pick up the slack against certain bosses.

Ptolo
Oct 31, 2011
Dream and Spirit sounds like a magical combination.

This is a good ARPG, with fun gameplay and an excellent setting. I recall getting quite far in a solo playthrough with a Defense/Attack combo so I'm keen to see you play a more caster orientated character :D

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Rogue and Hunting

You probably shoulda just had people vote for one class at this step. and either picked #1 and #2 as your class, or had another vote post level 8.

Never did finish this, let alone the expansion.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've played this game a bit but don't think I've ever gotten anywhere near to finish it however. Looking forward to it a lot. :v:

Ptolo posted:

Dream and Spirit sounds like a magical combination.
This sounds fun.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dream and Earth look cool as hell. Evoker sounds like a recipe for fun times.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lots of magic options being bandied about. Looks like I might be playing a martial of some sort.

I won't vote because conflict of interests but I'm real happy to see this picking up a bit of steam. I love this game and can't wait to share more with you guys.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Fair warning I haven't played any magic classes in this game since like, 2008. Agent is gonna be laughing at me all the time :(

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Defense/Storm :colbert:

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Defense/Rogue. Critting with a shield bash or charge and sending enemies flying across the map is just good old-fashioned fun.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
More DoTs. Apply ALL the DoTs.

Rogue/Nature

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
Storm/Dream

Might as well break this poo poo over your knee for our enjoyment. Thats what LPs are for right?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Rogue/Warfare. Poison everything with your maximum glass cannon build.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
It's a good thing this LP wasn't already done!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I loving love Titan Quest. It's still my favourite game of its type - bar none. I always liked it more than Diablo 2, Diablo 3 was incredibly disappointing, and I don't know... I couldn't quite get into Grim Dawn. I should give it another go now that it's finished. I think they'd only done the first two acts when I played it.

Since I'm old-school enough to have a physical copy of the Gold Edition (main game + expansion) - rather than a Steam copy - I didn't qualify for a free upgrade to the Anniversary Edition, unfortunately. I got it in a sale recently, but haven't tried it yet - so I'm curious to see how different it is.

Anyway, I always, always played a Rogue + something else. Always. Nothing else I tried felt fast/punchy enough. I'd prioritise gear that had attack speed bonuses, sometimes maxing out attack speed, making my character a little dervish of destruction.

So I'd actually be interested to see one of these apparently amazing Hunting/Something combos. I remember hearing about them, but could never tear myself away from a Rogue combo.

Maybe Hunting/Dream (Haruspex), then? Apparently a "Spear Haruspex" is very powerful. I've played hundreds of hours of Titan Quest, but know next to nothing about those classes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Alexeythegreat posted:

Defense/Storm :colbert:
This is actually probably my favorite combination and this is another vote for it. The idea is that you're slow but who gives a poo poo because you make everyone even slower; you're the turtle that outruns Achilles.

Pair it with an archer rogue/hunter for 100% offense and you've got the ultimate buddy pest exterminator team.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 11, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I was considering doing a gimmick retaliation build. It's one of my favorite characters in grim dawn and I believe it's legit valid in TQ as well, but ultimately it's probably too slow/boring for an LP.

It's still fun as poo poo watching enemies die as they beat on you.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Rogue/Warfare. Poison everything with your maximum glass cannon build.

This because it sounds like it would be hilarious with a Thorns build to carry it.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I tried Titan Quest a few years ago but every time I play an ARPG I end up just wanting to play Diablo II instead. Maybe I'll try it again.

Go Defence/Rogue because I like the idea of you wearing heavy armour and a big shield with a teeny knife.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Antistar01 posted:

I loving love Titan Quest. It's still my favourite game of its type - bar none. I always liked it more than Diablo 2, Diablo 3 was incredibly disappointing, and I don't know... I couldn't quite get into Grim Dawn. I should give it another go now that it's finished. I think they'd only done the first two acts when I played it.

Since I'm old-school enough to have a physical copy of the Gold Edition (main game + expansion) - rather than a Steam copy - I didn't qualify for a free upgrade to the Anniversary Edition, unfortunately. I got it in a sale recently, but haven't tried it yet - so I'm curious to see how different it is.

Anyway, I always, always played a Rogue + something else. Always. Nothing else I tried felt fast/punchy enough. I'd prioritise gear that had attack speed bonuses, sometimes maxing out attack speed, making my character a little dervish of destruction.

So I'd actually be interested to see one of these apparently amazing Hunting/Something combos. I remember hearing about them, but could never tear myself away from a Rogue combo.

Maybe Hunting/Dream (Haruspex), then? Apparently a "Spear Haruspex" is very powerful. I've played hundreds of hours of Titan Quest, but know next to nothing about those classes.

Pffft physical copy of the gold box? I'll have to go dig out my box for the original game and the immortal throne box.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My favorite thing about steam is I don't have to keep giant game boxes anymore!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I loved my Nature/Earth build when I played which was basically letting my wolves and golem munch the enemies while I ran around like an idiot.

Pet builds are always fun.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Putting a Vote in for Storm/Defence.

Yes, the order matters.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Haruspex (hunting+dream) was crazy good back, but I love defence, so I'll throw another vote for Storm/Defence, a shame there's so little love for the conqueror though. I'm really looking forward to see if the act V archers on higher difficulties are as murderous as I remember.

Edit: I've just remembered why order it's important, don't pick defence first.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 11, 2017

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Counts so far:

Rogue - 8
Dream - 7
Defense - 6
Storm - 5
Spirit - 4
Earth - 4
Hunting - 3
Nature - 3
Warfare - 2

Looks like if these results stand I'll be a Dreamkiller, which to be fair sounds super awesome. If you would like to change your vote please put something in bold about changing because I'm bad at reading.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Dreamkiller does sound interesting. It's a Rogue combo, but one I don't think I ever tried.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

This game is very wonderful, and the ridiculousness of the third saga is amazing. I hope you'll show off the extra bosses from the later difficulties, as whilst I've finished the game I've never personally done them.

When I play I tend to go for Warfare/Defender, because I am boring and it's funny to be this madman who never dies and becomes a whirling dervish of steel.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Finally get to see our first class shenanigans. This is about the point in the game where it takes the gloves off and really starts throwing some serious enemies at you, as well.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Joke's on you, assholes, I'm sitting in a red chair wearing black pants, so there!

Also, Yapo not putting even a single point into Envenom upsets me more than it should. It's a great skill with steady DoT, adds debuffs as you go up the skill tree and it works (or at least, it used to, not sure if it still does in AE) with a huge number of skills. Sniping enemies with throwing knives or a bow and having them half-dead by the time they reach you never gets dull.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That is some frantic, constant clicking. I mean it's to be expected in this sort of game - but Titan Quest does let you click and hold on an enemy to continue attacking them.

Speaking of frantic clicking though, can you still do the trick where you click rapidly on your gravestone to get more XP back?

Anyway, you know what? This game still looks really good. I always liked the use of colour in Titan Quest.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I remember loving this game but I don't remember much of any of it beyond that. I might get the mobile port of it which I think just came out.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Joke's on you, assholes, I'm sitting in a red chair wearing black pants, so there!

Also, Yapo not putting even a single point into Envenom upsets me more than it should. It's a great skill with steady DoT, adds debuffs as you go up the skill tree and it works (or at least, it used to, not sure if it still does in AE) with a huge number of skills. Sniping enemies with throwing knives or a bow and having them half-dead by the time they reach you never gets dull.

I'm like super glad nobody gets to see my allocations and judge me. I've never been world's best builder, I'm just going off stuff I know to be good.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I thought I made it pretty clear at the beginning of this that I am dumb and also bad at video games? Just wait until we get a little further along and Agent and I start doing real dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Man I love this game, and I'm glad we're getting a more modern lp than the one in the archive that was recorded at like 240p.

Also the summon playstyle is ironically weakest in normal difficulty. In the later ones your summons get ridiculous boosts and rip through enemies while they peak in normal around act 2 and you spend most of act 4 resummoning them.

• Locked thread