Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ugh wow that's the final trap upgrade? Bleh.
I guess it might be cool if you can get like 2 or 3 on the field at once, but ehhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

Ugh wow that's the final trap upgrade? Bleh.
I guess it might be cool if you can get like 2 or 3 on the field at once, but ehhhhhhh
Yeah, even the crappy old traps we saw the enemy use in Greece were more impressive. :v:

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Whoops, I just realized I didn't post an update on Friday. Sorry to anyone who was waiting for that.

We finally fight the last boss of the original game! Before Immortal Throne came out that portal ended your normal playthough and you got to start the higher difficulties. But since we're playing IT we've got some more game to work through before we get there.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I thought my weekend was a bit incomplete.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
You're thinking 'come together' by the beatles originally. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMdD8MwUQpw

The REAL question is if you prefer the Stones or Aerosmith cover of sympathy for the devil, I definitely prefer AeroSmith's in that case.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
So, to get the hidden legendary in act 3... all you need to do is hurt the telkine before the freeing typhon cutscene starts. The Lich and the nymph can do it with manual moving them a bit then letting the AI of them do the rest..

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

ssmagus posted:

So, to get the hidden legendary in act 3... all you need to do is hurt the telkine before the freeing typhon cutscene starts. The Lich and the nymph can do it with manual moving them a bit then letting the AI of them do the rest..

I'd never heard of this before, that's really cool. Still finding out things I don't know about this game. I'll have to show that off in the next difficulty.

In grim dawn there are special chests that always contain a unique the first time you open them on each difficulty and there are maybe 6 or 7 throughout the game and they're all super hidden (aside from one or two which I think are boss rewards), it's cool to know there is some guaranteed drop stuff in TQ as well.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Agent355 posted:

I'd never heard of this before, that's really cool. Still finding out things I don't know about this game. I'll have to show that off in the next difficulty.

In grim dawn there are special chests that always contain a unique the first time you open them on each difficulty and there are maybe 6 or 7 throughout the game and they're all super hidden (aside from one or two which I think are boss rewards), it's cool to know there is some guaranteed drop stuff in TQ as well.

Literally all this LP is doing is making me want to hit Grim Dawn more and more.

Immortal Throne! We get a bad case of crabs and thin out the local moose hordes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Those don't look like real moose to me. :colbert:

Would the Greek know what a moose was at this time?

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Poil posted:

Those don't look like real moose to me. :colbert:

Would the Greek know what a moose was at this time?

If Wikipedia is to be believed, during pre Roman times they were around the Gauls and others in northern Europe. I'm sure at some point a couple made them down there as a curiosity.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Blackmage Yapo posted:

If Wikipedia is to be believed, during pre Roman times they were around the Gauls and others in northern Europe. I'm sure at some point a couple made them down there as a curiosity.

Moose seem the sort of things Romans would want in their gladiator games.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Blackmage Yapo posted:

During pre-Roman times, there were a few funky animals living in Europe that ended up being exterminated by humans/human colonisation. I mean, for most of those we're talking very pre-Roman, but still.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I am kinda not feeling the traps. You honestly might want to spec out of them. They have synergy with Mastermind, but they don't really seem to do much. It'll free up points for Psionic Touch and other stuff.

What you can do is this: http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc....8-6-0-0-0-8-8-0

Flash Powder seems to work well as filler in between Phantom Strike and Distort Reality cooldowns. You want it at level 8 though since that's when its radius becomes equal to Distort Reality's. Use Poison Bomb as another AoE too, though its range is much smaller.

Should be a fun build. "*Phantom Strike*AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*explodes into poison, blindness, stuns in crowd*"

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Woo sidequest hubs! We also delve a little more into Greek mythology and get to take in more of the beautiful expansion.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I dunno, while the textures and everything look nicer, that brown-green swamp design with the brown-darkblack temples really aren't doing much for me.

The frogmen are adorable though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah the terrain is kinda dull looking. But at least it's not also covered with excessive bloom.

Recipes are so annoying. Too much crap too keep track of and hoping you get lucky with drops so you can actually get them.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I dig the terrain, besides we're still in the early stages of the expansion, aren't we?

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

SSNeoman posted:

I dig the terrain, besides we're still in the early stages of the expansion, aren't we?

Yeah, here before too long we'll hit a whole bunch of completely new textures.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

You wanted less green and brown and you got it! Welcome to the second half of the act. Strap yourselves in, it's gonna be a doozy.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

That's definitely less green and brown :) Also, why haven't we heard the anti diablo 3 rant yet? It's been teased for so long now ...

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Nobody really wants to hear me spout out a verbal essay on the mistakes D3 has made that irrevocably ruin the fun of the game do they?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:justpost:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Would this be a rant about 2012 Diablo 3 or 2017 Diablo 3?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

2012 D3 made such terrible decisions that while 2017 D3 is better it's still a poo poo game. So both.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Agent355 posted:

Nobody really wants to hear me spout out a verbal essay on the mistakes D3 has made that irrevocably ruin the fun of the game do they?

To hell with Odysseus, the rest of us want to hear it!

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
So I got a new headset because the speakers on my old one were going out. The audio will probably be a bit wonky for a few videos while I work out all the kinks so just stick with it.

Woo more quest hubs! I actually really enjoy almost all of this section, looks super cool and feels reasonable for being a city of shades.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Not impressed with Psionic Touch either tbh. You're prob doing work since a lot of your skills are anti-demon.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
So basically the entire part of Missouri that I live in has been turned into a lake since Thursday. Everything is just starting to dry out now but we're hella down on bridges, including some that are just loving gone. Updates may be a bit spotty as I'm called to go do cleanup for relatives and poo poo.

So this is basically just 45 minutes of us trying to clear a single dungeon. I wish it was prettier than that but holy poo poo this game hates us.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

That re-skilling made a huge difference in this video, it looked like a bit less of a slog.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Oh also we've recorded up to the point that we'll start taking guests. I think as if the last recording we're in epic at level 45 or so, so I'd you've got a character and are interested in joining us let me know.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
I've got a character that I made just to follow the LP, so I'm up for guesting. It's a level 40 at start of epic, so do I need to level it or push it forward to some place?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy gently caress that passive buff loving skyrocketed your murder potential :stare:

I suppose I feel you on the Blade Honing. It's prob something to invest in when it's like "I literally have nothing else to put this poo poo into"

And yeah you guys breezed through that tower.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

SSNeoman posted:

Holy gently caress that passive buff loving skyrocketed your murder potential :stare:

I suppose I feel you on the Blade Honing. It's prob something to invest in when it's like "I literally have nothing else to put this poo poo into"

And yeah you guys breezed through that tower.

I feel like constantly fearing for our lives due to errant arrows isn't exactly breezing, but sure we'll go with it.

Also I think I finally have my mic issues sorted out. Figured out a way to filter all my mouse clicks without losing too much audio quality.

Hope you're ready for a big Diablo 3 diatribe! Also not a whole lot of towns or anything in this run, just a bunch of cool looking demon encampments.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
I liked Starcraft 2 before blizzard decided to balance it stupidly for 8 or so months (probably earlier) before HOTS came out.

Pro tournament players were already 75% Terran at the start of this time, and every patch from that point was a Nerf Protoss/Zerg buff Terran.(I think it started with the dropship change that gave them a speed boost for some stupid reason)

I stopped playing and uninstalled at 3 or so patches in, And it made me very mad the right before HOTS was released Pro play was 95% Terran at that point. (I remember that a single Protoss/Zerg player in top 32 tourney results was a rare thing!)

It still makes me mad.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Blizzard is mindbogglingly bad at balance and I don't know how that happens because each game has it's own team, but still across the board they are universally poo poo at balancing their games.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Terrans don't win anything anymore unless they're Korean. They still have a dumb unit in the widow mine, but by itself it's still not enough for foreign Terrans to bullshit their way to a tournament victory.

Medivacs were given a boost to give them a chance at retreating. Before that, any medivac that wasn't staying in your base was committed. If you lost or retreated from an engagement at any point, all your medivacs would die.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

From the sounds of it I thought you were gonna die a few times per floor, so by that metric it went pretty well!

Re: D3

So I never played the game, but I over the years game devs have made an effort to appeal to more casual fans. And these people usually get super paralyzed whenever it comes time to make some super-important decision when it comes to your build. So being able to hotswap builds, signposting for bosses and whatnot is very much in vogue. Of course it sounds like Diablo 3 has a balancing problem where One Build Rules Them All, but that's a balancing issue, not a design issue. Would being locked into a build matter that much if the game balance was a lot better?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Making a build (or following one) and creating characters that are unique from other characters you have played is a cornerstone of diablo games. I tend to make my own builds for hundreds of hours before I remembe rI'm bad at making builds and then follow somebody else's guide to make stronger characters and experiencing end game.

In diablo 3 not only can you not make your own build because hotswapping skills destroys any and all enjoyment I get out of making a build but without exeption the best builds for any class is going to be whatever set got the most recent buff (which obviously means its going to be the best because RE: blizzard balance above). And because each set is 6 pieces and you need all 6 (or 5 plus a special ring) to make the build work 6 of you 11 pieces of gear are already determined before you even consider what the rest of the build is going to be.

It's design by commission, blizzard is basicaly telling you what build is good and then you follow the road.

I don't even think its a matter of designing for casuals, because the casual experience is even worse. Casuals play through the game exactly once with one character and then stop forever and D3 has the worst campaign of any diablo-like by far.

Right now diablo 3 is designed to appeal only to people who like to run on loot treadmills and see what shiny things they can get before they get bored, but because none of the shinies matter and there is only one or two ways to run ont he treadmill each season the game is pretty well dead. They're catering to a single playstyle and not even doing it very well.

I think originally D3 was at least trying to cater to different playstyles, there weren't any obvious 'use this set' builds, there wasn't a blatant greater rift grind system. Of course it had it's own problems outside the skills and weak campaign, largely the unfair difficulty and loot problems introduced by the auction house, but I'd still say it had a wider appeal than D3 in it's current form.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The unfair difficulty was exactly what their customers asked for in D3, so they delivered it on launch. Specifically, they playtested and tweaked Inferno to the point that it was too hard for the devs, and then made it harder. It was designed for the nutters that thought killing D2 doublesecretmegahell superdiablo while naked with no stat points spent was passé. That was the community that wouldn't shut up about how their last game was too easy (after more than a decade of mastering its mechanics and quirks, crafting ladder-only runewords that you had to have been actively playing at the time to have access to, leveling characters past 100 and other stupid poo poo).

The launch difficulty (past normal) was an intentional "gently caress you, now shut up," from the devs, and it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Note: I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here. I don't actually find D3 very fun, although my reasons are a little different than yours.

Agent355 posted:

In diablo 3 not only can you not make your own build because hotswapping skills destroys any and all enjoyment I get out of making a build

Cognitive dissonance detected. Or, more accurately, a false dichotomy. Just because you can't enjoy a build unless it's hard coded into your character does not mean you can't make your own build, and especially doesn't mean I can't do so. It just means you, for whatever grognard reason, can't enjoy it. Personally, I quite like being able to experiment with skills without having to make an entirely new character for every single combination.

quote:

but without exeption the best builds for any class is going to be whatever set got the most recent buff (which obviously means its going to be the best because RE: blizzard balance above). And because each set is 6 pieces and you need all 6 (or 5 plus a special ring) to make the build work 6 of you 11 pieces of gear are already determined before you even consider what the rest of the build is going to be.

This isn't really all that different from D2. You needed a bunch of specific gear for most end-game builds there, as well. It wasn't usually sets, but you still needed several specific uniques per character.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 7, 2017

• Locked thread