Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Warfare + Storm forever. :colbert:

Defense or go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'd be down for punching goatmans.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Suspicious posted:

X filters out whites. Wish there was another key to filter out yellows.

That filter exists in Titan Quest 2 Grim Dawn.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

PureRok posted:

Why does the sun rise in the West?

It is as Helios wills.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Suspicious posted:

You can just hold the mouse button down, you know.

If I right-click to shield bash without ever letting go of the left button, my dude stops making normal left-click attacks after the bash goes off and I have to click on the target to start up again. I was playing earlier today and it was pretty annoying because I found myself standing in a giant mob of dudes not attacking anything more than once. I wonder if there's an option in the menu to toggle or something?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Antistar01 posted:

Fun fact: "soda" is called "soft drink" here. I don't know why; maybe to differentiate it from "hard drink"?

Also I just fought ~Jacinto, the Rotten Hyacinth of Thessaly~ myself last night, in exactly the same place. I'm getting a lot of the same hero monsters as you guys, actually; I'm starting to think they're not that random.

There are four acts (three without the expansion), and each act is in a different place; so about a quarter of it is in Greece. (... More or less.)

I think soft drink goes back to when the soda jerk had to manually mix the soda and syrup, so yeah, a mixed drink without alcohol.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Get on my level fellas. Working on a warfare/defense mans right now. At level 10 I have 7 points in mastery (4 warfare/3 defense).

All of the other skill points are in warfare currently and I'm maxing out the defensive stuff/attack speed. This character is going to be a wall with 15% physical/piercing resist, 21% dodge + defense tree stuff.

It doesn't hurt that I'm keeping on top of resistance gear, either.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Slaan posted:

I played through that section last night. The labyrinth just became boring after a while. They could have shortened it quite a bit while still making it seem mazelike.

On subsequent runthroughs I've learned to just run through the maze, stopping for big chests and shrines, or to fight dudes I can't shake.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm gonna have to watch this ep. Imma be salty about some D&D opinions.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

5th edition anyone can be a rogue. I like wood elf dex based fighters (with one-handed fighting focus for a really nasty rapier attack) with the urchin or criminal background to pick up the thiefy skills. You won't have ALL of the thief stuff, but Stealth and thieves tools proficiency and one other roguey skill is more than enough. 5e is cool that way. Rogues are awesome in 5e though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Poil posted:

Rogues should be awesome. But really so should every class. Please never 3.5 monks again. :(

Classless systems can be pretty good, or with soft classes that doesn't lock you out of anything.

3.5 monks and paladins need too many good stats. Give your monk/paladin players three guaranteed 15s and let them roll the other three, if you do rolls. Otherwise, bonus points. Monks need good str dex con and wisdom to even function, plus they need a decent intelligence to even make use of their ok skill list (2+into mod but a large list of skills? What?) if they're going to fulfill any out of combat role. Paladins need good str con wisdom and cha to function, and once again, can really benefit from an ok intelligence.

Rogues can function fine with just a high dex score. Casters only need one high score (yes, even druids and clerics) and fighters rangers and barbarians can get by with two good scores, and though they'll always benefit from more good scores, their core class features aren't hamstrung without them.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Poil posted:

After playing with people who always manage roll up great stats (legitimately, in front of everyone), point buy all the time!

Druids are crazy, they can manage with good wisdom and a 6 in every other stat. Also I read somewhere that warlocks don't really need any stats, sure they're better if the have them but they're still playable even with a zero point buy.

That's why I don't really generally care what stats my player's PCs have in 3.5/Pathfinder poo poo. After a few sessions I'll have their power roughly pegged anyway (which includes teamwork and actually exploiting abilities) and just eyeball encounters. If I make a character, I'm a crazy sperglord powergaming optimizer, but since I usually play with laid back people who don't give a poo poo, I use that knowledge to craft weird characters that are still useful to the party. Like the time I played a commoner as the party tank for shits and giggles and nobody really noticed. Smart race/stat/feat/skill selection and solid tactical play go a long way some times.

I'm more into 5e or stuff derived from OD&D these days, though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

RickVoid posted:

There's also nothing more fun than surprising your own party with the ability to do something your class doesn't. I once played a rogue in Pathfinder that picked up a feat that let him cast a level 1 wizard spell x number of times per day (based on int bonus I think, you had to pick a specific spell and your rogue levels counted as caster levels for scaling purposes). Announcing to the party that my character had pointed a finger gun at the enemy, said "BANG", and shot x number of magic missiles from his fingertip always led to some pretty hilarious reactions

Never could get a DM to agree that I should get sneak attack dice the first time I used it in an encounter, though. Come on, who the hell would ever see it coming?

You get sneak attack dice by RAW for spells with attack rolls (touch, ranged touch etc). While thematically appropriate for magic missile, what with its unerring accuracy, the fact that it is multiple projectiles that cannot miss would lead to some hilariously abusive funtimes. There's no actual attack roll and if you took a one level dip into sorcerer you could be putting out fireballs worth of damage in every fight, but fireballs that allow no save. If it was a table of minmaxers, knock yourself out, otherwise I'd say no as well.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Agent355 posted:

sneak attack specifically says only once per round, unfortunate for dual wielders.

Sneak Attack: If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The rogue's attack deals extra damage anytime her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a weapon that deals nonlethal damage (like a sap, whip, or an unarmed strike), a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty.

The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment.

That's straight from the Paizo page and 3.5 didn't cap it to one attack either. I believe 4e and 5e do, but they both work on completely different sets of powers and scales of abilities. I've played with several GMs that house-ruled it that way, and beyond early levels, rogues don't have enough punch to be useful in serious encounters without the extra damage. (Say you attack a DR 15 monster, your d4 or d6 +1 damage is pointless, while the fighter happily power attacks and the casters bypass the DR with magic)

In 3e stuff, the only special thing a rogue really has is his buckets of damage if he gets into position. Hell, until Pathfinder, a rogue couldn't even use sneak attack on half the poo poo you fought anyway.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 9, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Poil posted:

So it's like the houserule that a 1 on the attack roll doesn't just miss, it causes severe fumbling damage to yourself?

I've seen a high level monk break all four limbs of his limbs (lvl 20+) in one round of combat because of multiple fumbles. Missing is already bad enough, Christ.

Remember, this is a martial artist that has honed and perfected his body so much that he no longer ages and has ascended into a heavenly form and is no longer whatever race they started as. Snapping their own limbs like a spaz. I don't stay at tables like that for long. Dude playing the monk was hella salty about it, too.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 9, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Poil posted:

The more skilled you are the more attacks you make and therefore more chances at cutting your own leg off. :downs:

Yeah, with crit fumbles, the more skilled you are, the more likely you are to seriously injure yourself. Level three, 8 damage hurts. Level 15, 65 damage from your two-handed power attack hurts pretty badly, plus oops you failed your save and your soul is stuck in the sword forever. Thems the breaks

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Blackmage Yapo posted:

I will fire up my inventory a bit more often in the future then. Unfortunately I grabbed some really good stuff a while back so I haven't switched much around for a while.

Shits been so crazy for me lately that I can't even remember what we did in this video!

What the? How did you end up in Tennessee?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Tennessee is starting to become a common theme for this LP, not sure how that happened.

BTW since we've been talking about it so much there is a weekend sale on steam for Grim Dawn, its down to like $13 http://store.steampowered.com/app/219990

Excellent. I haven't quite caught up on videos yet, so I was just making the needful Memphis reference. I'm glad to know it came up.

Grim Dawn is totally worth the money, holy crap.

Also, if you play Titan Quest along at home, talk to NPCs, even the ones without quests. Multiple times. Before and after completing quests in the area. There is a ton of dialog in this game, all voiced.

The storytellers will even regale you with the Cliff's Notes version of their religion's myths that are tangentially related to the plot. Like in the very first village, you hear all about Heracles and how great that guy is. You get told that he's not here loving poo poo up because the gods rewarded him by taking him into heaven for being a cool swolebro. He laments that there are no such heroes around to save the day. This reinforces the point that the ball is in your character's court, even before you learn that the gods unwillingly are absent.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The ocean is called the Mediterranean for a reason; it's at the middle of the world, at least from an ancient perspective. A lot more of the world was connected way back when than you might suppose.

At the time the Jews were in captivity in Babylon, the Greeks were futzing about with democracy. Greece would soon see the battle at the Hot Gates (where 300 oiled rentboys fought ninja orcs) and then at Marathon, both against the owners of Babylon.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Natty posted:

All the Grim Dawn talk during the LP convinced me to pick it up. Really enjoying it, although I miss the more MMO-ey aspects of PoE.

Watching you two clean house with pets has given me an itch for the "sit back and watch minions lay waste to everything around you" style of gameplay, currently playing a 2H melee commando while I wait for the Necromancer that's supposedly coming out as part of the upcoming expansion pack.

For pets, the spooky warlock sorcerer class has a raven and a hellhound and some good buffs, and the druid has a big tanky, angry ball of thorns and hurt, and some good buffs. Together, they are the Summoner!

Dump points into the base hellhound skill with warlock and then mix with whatever class to taste and branch out once you have your angry fur ball maxxed is what I've seen or the lazy pet mans game. Same applies to the druid but with his pet. That's what I've seen. I dunno how well it works.

Looks up the Lazy Pokémon Master guide on the GD forums.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Zore posted:

Yeah, that build is ridiculously strong and good. You just sit back while your tree abomination melts things at first and eventually you have an army of horrors killing stuff.

Still slightly annoyed skeletons are going to be a temp summon for the necro. What is even the point :(

Summons are summons. I like the rings and poo poo that summon short-lived pets on-hit with a cooldown. Throw a couple of those on for more spam!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The unfair difficulty was exactly what their customers asked for in D3, so they delivered it on launch. Specifically, they playtested and tweaked Inferno to the point that it was too hard for the devs, and then made it harder. It was designed for the nutters that thought killing D2 doublesecretmegahell superdiablo while naked with no stat points spent was passé. That was the community that wouldn't shut up about how their last game was too easy (after more than a decade of mastering its mechanics and quirks, crafting ladder-only runewords that you had to have been actively playing at the time to have access to, leveling characters past 100 and other stupid poo poo).

The launch difficulty (past normal) was an intentional "gently caress you, now shut up," from the devs, and it worked.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Suspicious posted:

A very small, albeit vocal, minority. The overwhelming majority of D2 players did not ask for a difficulty level that is literally impossible without months of grinding.

Yes, I realize that. It was still amazing to witness that vocal minority dash themselves on the very rocky shore they had mapped for themselves.

Probably not the smartest business move, buuuut, crunch time is stressful and you can only take so much histrionic screeching before snapping. So petty, but I'm sure it was very satisfying for some of the devs.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The original Diablo is Good if you play it as intended. If you don't remember or don't know, single player would only let you save and quit and if you died, that was it. The project started out as a roguelike, so it makes sense. Everyone played single player as LAN games or on Battle.net so they could die over and over again. Don't be a scrub; get good and murder Satan like a grognard.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

So i picked this game up again, and I think it has a few bugs?

Yeah, the +89% bleed time means the bleed will tick for that much longer. Each tick still does damage as if it were the original shorter bleed, so it's never a bad thing. Just no bonus damage in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Blackmage Yapo posted:

So apparently I had one last video kicking around on my hard drive!

ratchild continues to kind of join us? Partially? Anyway we make it work as we move along to Act 3.

Sorry guys, but I got engaged a couple weeks ago and it has been absolutely murdering my video game time. I've been able to sit down at my computer for about an hour in time since, and most of that is spent trying to e-mail people for price quotes and poo poo. I'm afraid there's not gonna be any real ending for the thread.

:sever:

• Locked thread