Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Stanfield posted:

I've been playing Grim Dawn thanks to this thread, and I turned the 'hover over enemies to attack' option off pretty early on. Maybe it's 'cause I only really play ranged characters so I never actually click on guys and instead just shift-click in their general direction, but I found it more annoying than anything.

I also have the same problem with GD that I have with this game where the mastery system means there's so many options for classes that I end up playing Act 1 over and over and burn myself out.

My solution to that is the same as it was in TQ - level a character to a point that isn't too painful without putting any points in attributes or skills. Find the save file and rename it a bunch of times, then use a character editor to change their names. You now have a bunch of characters that have cleared a quest or two legitimately and you can get a jump-start on with their skills.
Or just use a character editor to clear Act 1 and give yourself some levels/skill points. These aren't competitive games, so as long as you're having fun, who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Act 3 is utter insanity from start to finish.
The environments are really cool; the monsters a series of incredibly bad ideas, each worse than the last.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Blackmage Yapo posted:

If Wikipedia is to be believed, during pre Roman times they were around the Gauls and others in northern Europe. I'm sure at some point a couple made them down there as a curiosity.

During pre-Roman times, there were a few funky animals living in Europe that ended up being exterminated by humans/human colonisation. I mean, for most of those we're talking very pre-Roman, but still.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Zurai posted:

Hell, when I stopped playing Diablo 3, I still had a grand total of like 10 high-level unique items across all my characters and they were ... not very good, for the most part. One of the things they did really wrong was to turn off the Skinner Box. What's even the point of playing an endless loot grind when you can't actually expect to get any of the cool loot?

If you watch the GDC Postmortem, the game director for Reaper of Souls highlights that they didn't actually turn it off, they just planned for people to still be getting upgrades 8-10 years down the line. Thus the scarcity of drops in the first couple of years.
The astonishing thing is how no-one apparently realised what a terrible idea that was until launch.

I don't agree that you have to stick rigidly to the 'best' build, though, unless you're planning on being in the top 1-5% of players. In this Season, I just finally got a ring that lets me get Set bonuses with 1 fewer pieces of a Set (i.e. you get a 6-piece bonus while wearing only 5 pieces), which let me drop my 2-handed weapon for a 2x 1-handed weapon set, while keeping a 2-piece bonus from another set. So now my DPS has gone up by ~20% which should let me progress a bit further.

• Locked thread