Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
The only D&D opinion that I think is really bad that you expressed there is the "gently caress you play a rogue" one. Why do you have to be less effective just because your character concept is "sneaky guy" instead of "singing guy"? As long as you're roleplaying it appropriately and consistently what does it matter what the mechanics say you are? I see it as basically the same thing as changing the flavor of attacks to better fit the character. I like all the characters to pull their own weigh both in games I run and games I'm playing in though so I suppose I might just be coming at it from a bit of a different angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

That's why I don't really generally care what stats my player's PCs have in 3.5/Pathfinder poo poo. After a few sessions I'll have their power roughly pegged anyway (which includes teamwork and actually exploiting abilities) and just eyeball encounters. If I make a character, I'm a crazy sperglord powergaming optimizer, but since I usually play with laid back people who don't give a poo poo, I use that knowledge to craft weird characters that are still useful to the party. Like the time I played a commoner as the party tank for shits and giggles and nobody really noticed. Smart race/stat/feat/skill selection and solid tactical play go a long way some times.

I'm more into 5e or stuff derived from OD&D these days, though.

The approach of optimizing something really dumb is my favorite way of building characters in Pathfinder/3.5. Really I think the most important thing is that characters are on similar power levels so nobody feels useless and encounter design isn't a total nightmare for the DM. That and actually having a decent character concept and putting some effort into roleplaying of course.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Yeah I think a little bit of looking at gear would probably not be a bad thing as long as it doesnt take up half the video or something.

• Locked thread