Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
This LP has made me want to pick this back up, but Phantom Brave got to me first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

The ideology eater posted:

The approach of optimizing something really dumb is my favorite way of building characters in Pathfinder/3.5. Really I think the most important thing is that characters are on similar power levels so nobody feels useless and encounter design isn't a total nightmare for the DM. That and actually having a decent character concept and putting some effort into roleplaying of course.

There's also nothing more fun than surprising your own party with the ability to do something your class doesn't. I once played a rogue in Pathfinder that picked up a feat that let him cast a level 1 wizard spell x number of times per day (based on int bonus I think, you had to pick a specific spell and your rogue levels counted as caster levels for scaling purposes). Announcing to the party that my character had pointed a finger gun at the enemy, said "BANG", and shot x number of magic missiles from his fingertip always led to some pretty hilarious reactions

Never could get a DM to agree that I should get sneak attack dice the first time I used it in an encounter, though. Come on, who the hell would ever see it coming?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

You get sneak attack dice by RAW for spells with attack rolls (touch, ranged touch etc). While thematically appropriate for magic missile, what with its unerring accuracy, the fact that it is multiple projectiles that cannot miss would lead to some hilariously abusive funtimes. There's no actual attack roll and if you took a one level dip into sorcerer you could be putting out fireballs worth of damage in every fight, but fireballs that allow no save. If it was a table of minmaxers, knock yourself out, otherwise I'd say no as well.

100% accurate, I always asked in jest. I mean, imagine what it would be like at a high enough level to have multiple missiles per shot. Do I get to roll sneak attack dice for every target hit? Insanity. It would be the DnD equivalent of walking into room and doing this. Only 4+int bonus times per day.

• Locked thread