Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lots of magic options being bandied about. Looks like I might be playing a martial of some sort.

I won't vote because conflict of interests but I'm real happy to see this picking up a bit of steam. I love this game and can't wait to share more with you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I was considering doing a gimmick retaliation build. It's one of my favorite characters in grim dawn and I believe it's legit valid in TQ as well, but ultimately it's probably too slow/boring for an LP.

It's still fun as poo poo watching enemies die as they beat on you.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My favorite thing about steam is I don't have to keep giant game boxes anymore!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Joke's on you, assholes, I'm sitting in a red chair wearing black pants, so there!

Also, Yapo not putting even a single point into Envenom upsets me more than it should. It's a great skill with steady DoT, adds debuffs as you go up the skill tree and it works (or at least, it used to, not sure if it still does in AE) with a huge number of skills. Sniping enemies with throwing knives or a bow and having them half-dead by the time they reach you never gets dull.

I'm like super glad nobody gets to see my allocations and judge me. I've never been world's best builder, I'm just going off stuff I know to be good.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Zore posted:

Man I love this game, and I'm glad we're getting a more modern lp than the one in the archive that was recorded at like 240p.

Also the summon playstyle is ironically weakest in normal difficulty. In the later ones your summons get ridiculous boosts and rip through enemies while they peak in normal around act 2 and you spend most of act 4 resummoning them.

This is an accurate description of how I remember it. I wasn't going to go summoner at all but I read that they buffed it a bit in the patch so here we go boiz.

Still deciding how I'm going to build later on, right now it's just wolves4days

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Blackmage Yapo posted:

I don't think either Agent or myself will be revisiting Blood Bowl any time soon. LPing that game is quite a lot more labor intensive than stuff like this.

On the other hand bloodbowl 2:LE is coming out sometime this year and I'm absolutely considering doing another goonbowl/LP style tournament where I do an LP of w/e team I'm playing in goonbowl and we just use the LP thread for the tournament coordinating as well.

Try and stop me.

We'll just do a thread vote here for what team we play. I'll start.

lizardmen

Vote closed. Guess lizards won, who knew!

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 20, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Soothsayer&master1=2&master2=4

Thats roughly where I am right now.

The goal is to pump up spirit mastery and reach some of the other auras/pets before going back and adding more points to some of the really cool/useful stuff I've been collecting.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc....0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0

You're not my mom.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It costs ever more and more gold to respec point by point and you can never remove points spent on masteries.

It's cheap enough that you can fix builds on the fly but not so cheap that you can flat out rebuild a character from the ground floor for no cost.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Warcraft 3 was like 20 years ago!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

No, the implication is that 'blizzard hasnt' made any good games lately' probably isn't talking about a 15 year old game.

Zore posted:

Exactly 15. I thought thats why you picked that as the cutoff :kiddo:

A coincidence but round about what I was thinking, D2/WC3 were the last blizzard games I've really really enjoyed, since then it's been running the gamut from bad to okay.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

They're random but the same ones spawn in the same places. There might be 50 different act 1 normal heroes possible, and 'bob the gorilla' always spawns in more or less the same spot.

So while it's random whether or not you see bob the gorilla, it's not random where he actually is.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Cassa posted:

He should sacrifice more tbh.

That helmet you picked up around the 17 minute mark is not a tebian helmet, it's a Theban helmet.

I keep telling him this, it doesn't sink in.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm not talking about people who want to be rangers but fit into weird archetypes. I'm specifically referring to people who want to be rogues but also want to powergame, so they turn the warlock into a rogue to do so. gently caress those guys.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

That wasn't really the point I was getting at, so I probably just worded it badly. I agree there's no problem with warlocks who want to be warlocks outside the traditional definition of warlock, thats cool and good. My problem is people who play with classes and multiclass just in an effort to become powergamus maximus as you put it. So yeah I generally agree with you.

But if somebody wants to be a warlock solely because rogue is bad I'd rather homebrew something that we're both happy with than engage in warlock as rogue.

Oh and the one point I'll be stubborn about: if somebody is powergaming in my group the one and only answer is 'gently caress off'. If somebody derives their pleasure in dnd by making numbers bigger I can't fix that and they just have to find another group.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

yeah, there is no wrong way to enjoy dnd, only wrong ways to play with me. There is so many ways to enjoy tabletop games and lots of people have their own methods. I'm just railing against people who don't fit in my games more or less.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

sneak attack specifically says only once per round, unfortunate for dual wielders.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Cassa posted:

I wonder how far ahead in deaths Yapo is by now.

Also the dice chat about rolling an 11+ on 2d6, it isn't a 1 in 12 chance.

Also also Gunbound is just Worms/Scorched Earth.

There are 3 ways to roll an 11 or more, 5+6, 6+5, 6+6. There are 36 possible dice outcomes on 2d6.

3/36=1/12

:eng101:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So this is roughly where I am right now after the very last video recording which I think isn't up yet but gently caress it?

http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc....0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0

I think most of that is good and fine but I'm going to respec out of the higher tier lich skills for now (maybe forever) they aren't pulling their weight as much as his base auto-attacks are so it's not just wasted points, it's actually points spent making him less effective. I may keep/respec back into the first 2 upgrades as they're big survivability boosts, but if he just lives anyway he won't need him, we have doggos to tank so it might be okay.

I'm going to be shooting for something like this next.

http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc....0-0-0-8-0-0-0-0

With max plague and spirit aura our survivability goes through the rough as does the damage of everything thanks to all the -%resist stuff. After level 46 or so when I hit this point I'll re-evaluate my direction and see if I need more buffs or more pets at that point.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

IMO don't max out Susceptability and Fatigue.

Sus has a max of -39% but for 2 skill points less you get -30%. Dropping enemies down by less than a 10% might be okay for a 6s duration spell, but I'd save those points for upgrading your summons. Up to you tho.

Fatigue basically has no difference between r6 and r8

Saps the strength from diseased enemies causing them to move more slowly and fight less effectively.
(-3)-(-11) Damage, 5% Chance of 64% Reduction to Enemy's Health, 31% Reduced Damage for 3 Seconds, -28% Total Speed

vs

Saps the strength from diseased enemies causing them to move more slowly and fight less effectively.
(-3)-(-15) Damage, 5% Chance of 69% Reduction to Enemy's Health, 36% Reduced Damage for 3 Seconds, -33% Total Speed

That 5% activation is always constant, reducing an enemy's damage by a 20th is so not worth 2 SPs and the attack speed decrease is unimpressive too. Also we're talking about a 6 s condition so idk how great an attack speed reduction is.

Except you have to realize in flat % skills the last percents are the most impactful when you consider it as a ratio of damage reduced. If an enemy does 100 damage and you remove 5% of it, you're reducing it's damage by 5% obviously. But if you're already reducing it's damage by 35% and you reduce it by another 5% you're reducing 65 to 60 which is 7.6% instead of 5. So the last points are the most effective damage reduction ones (and least effective damage amplification ones in the event of something like +% lightning damage). Likewise with things like attack speed.

And also it's only 6 second duration but the skill is an 8 second cooldown iirc so you have a 75% uptime, and with a pet build there is nothing else that I'm doing in the fights so I can afford to spam it nonstop and it's not mana intensive enough to even dip into my pool. So yeah, it's definitely worth maxing all the way.

Also there just isn't that much that is super competitive for my skill points. I could max out some other skills, like the wolf buff, which I absolutely will do but things like the wolf's cleave attack or the lich's aoe blast are just rather underwhelming unless you pump 12-16 points into them and even then it won't be that much better than just the base lich. There aren't that many buffs/debuffs either competing for points, I can put more points into the +% hp aura and upgrade it to provide +% resists as well, then there is the wolf aura (which is awesome by the way, it scales +15% damage at level 1 to +70% damage at 12)

So at level 56 we end up with something like this theoretically.

http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc....-12-0-8-0-0-0-0

And at this point there really isn't anything that truly demands more points. I could buff the lich skills, or put points into the nymph for the hell of it, but none of the other skills are really singing out to me. So saving 4 points in those 2 passives isn't even really nessecary even if they were less effective than the 6 other points I'd dumped into them.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 28, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, that might be something I go for eventually, I think generally the idea is you only really use him for big bosses anyway and he does that job well enough with just 1 point, but it might be worth investing in just for the heck of it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

ratchild13 posted:

Liking these videos, played this game a ton, and grim dawn also. I've got a few characters in the 40s if you want some MP characters for later difficulties. Are you guys using any trainers/mods to allow enhancements on blues/purples in this, or just vanilla?

We're absolutely going to use tqvault to cheat and use monster bits/runestones one blue/purples. It's such a terrible decision not letting you do that in the first place. Since blue/purples are pretty much always best in slot it means the monster drops are completely pointless outside of making artifacts.

Of course right now we're not worrying about it too much but I think maybe between now and the next recording session we'll doodle about a bit with enhancers to give us some more defense.

E: also to make it official once we finish the first difficult we're absolutely open to people joining in if you happen to be around when we're recording. if you aren't a creepy neckbeard we might even invite you back. So anybody who wants to do that should keep a character roughly even with the LP once we get through act 4.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Looking at the workshop they have a couple up there that I used to play around with. Masteries mod replaces the 9 masteries with 9 new ones and it's fairly well balanced. Destinies is basically the same idea.

Lillith is a complete campaign that is fuckin gigantic. It's not super well polished but I played through it more than once, some modder somewhere spent thousands of hours making it and it's worth playing through. i think with the workshop you can play Lilith and install one of the mastery mods for maximum ~new experiences~. Be warned Lilith follows the standard mod difficulty curve which is to say loving punishing because anybody who makes mods plays too drat much and thinks the base game is too easy. Packs are bigger and tougher but you level up hella fast early on at least.

I haven't tooled about with anything thats new to the workshop though, those are just some good uploads that have existed for years that I have some experience playing before the anniversary edition.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

ssmagus posted:

So, to get the hidden legendary in act 3... all you need to do is hurt the telkine before the freeing typhon cutscene starts. The Lich and the nymph can do it with manual moving them a bit then letting the AI of them do the rest..

I'd never heard of this before, that's really cool. Still finding out things I don't know about this game. I'll have to show that off in the next difficulty.

In grim dawn there are special chests that always contain a unique the first time you open them on each difficulty and there are maybe 6 or 7 throughout the game and they're all super hidden (aside from one or two which I think are boss rewards), it's cool to know there is some guaranteed drop stuff in TQ as well.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Nobody really wants to hear me spout out a verbal essay on the mistakes D3 has made that irrevocably ruin the fun of the game do they?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

2012 D3 made such terrible decisions that while 2017 D3 is better it's still a poo poo game. So both.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Blizzard is mindbogglingly bad at balance and I don't know how that happens because each game has it's own team, but still across the board they are universally poo poo at balancing their games.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Making a build (or following one) and creating characters that are unique from other characters you have played is a cornerstone of diablo games. I tend to make my own builds for hundreds of hours before I remembe rI'm bad at making builds and then follow somebody else's guide to make stronger characters and experiencing end game.

In diablo 3 not only can you not make your own build because hotswapping skills destroys any and all enjoyment I get out of making a build but without exeption the best builds for any class is going to be whatever set got the most recent buff (which obviously means its going to be the best because RE: blizzard balance above). And because each set is 6 pieces and you need all 6 (or 5 plus a special ring) to make the build work 6 of you 11 pieces of gear are already determined before you even consider what the rest of the build is going to be.

It's design by commission, blizzard is basicaly telling you what build is good and then you follow the road.

I don't even think its a matter of designing for casuals, because the casual experience is even worse. Casuals play through the game exactly once with one character and then stop forever and D3 has the worst campaign of any diablo-like by far.

Right now diablo 3 is designed to appeal only to people who like to run on loot treadmills and see what shiny things they can get before they get bored, but because none of the shinies matter and there is only one or two ways to run ont he treadmill each season the game is pretty well dead. They're catering to a single playstyle and not even doing it very well.

I think originally D3 was at least trying to cater to different playstyles, there weren't any obvious 'use this set' builds, there wasn't a blatant greater rift grind system. Of course it had it's own problems outside the skills and weak campaign, largely the unfair difficulty and loot problems introduced by the auction house, but I'd still say it had a wider appeal than D3 in it's current form.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Zurai posted:

This isn't really all that different from D2. You needed a bunch of specific gear for most end-game builds there, as well. It wasn't usually sets, but you still needed several specific uniques per character.

Comparing anything to D2 now is unfair, it's gone through so many changes, but you kind of made my point.

You needed specific runewords or uniques to make whatever build possible. If you wanted to make your own build, or if you were just following somebody elses, you cherry picked the best options out of the hundreds of uniques available and combined them to get the effect you wanted. Before the top builds of any given patch were found people spent hundreds of hours testing and playing with different uniques and skills to see what actually worked the best.

In diablo 3 it's just whatever set you're using. Sure you will have some uniques outside the set and maybe some of them are sorta important, but 90% of what you want is just that set. There is no testing, no theorycrafting, no creativity or inspiration. Just a god drat 'collect these 6 items and roll your face on the keyboad'.

Though I do agree with you about the whole 'sombody might still enjoy making builds that don't matter thing' I did state in the video I was simply giving the reasons I personally don't enjoy D3. I think some of them are ubiquitous and others are more specific. They ruined builds for me with their skill system for the reasons I said in the video, whether other people can enjoy them or not doesn't factor into my own reasons why D3 is such a bad game.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

ssmagus posted:

I've got a character that I made just to follow the LP, so I'm up for guesting. It's a level 40 at start of epic, so do I need to level it or push it forward to some place?

I can't remember what level we are currently and I'm not at home to check but we'll be recording tomorrow (and next week at some point etc) if you want in give me some contact info like a steam ID or skype ID (we record audio on skype) so I can hit you up and see if you're available when we're recording.

Same goes for everybody else, PM me if you don't want to post your info in the thread, I'll be just sending out mass-invites to everybody who wants to play the same day we're doing our recordings. Whoever happens to be around can play.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

We talk about it a bit at some point but the current consensus is 'until our builds suck as much as they did in act 4 again'.

Right now we're doing well in the next difficulty since the pets scale alot better now but if it gets that bad again we'll probably just stop. It was so painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

GRIM DAWN

• Locked thread