Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You have bad opinions about D&D, just for the record. As long as the group is happy, who cares if one guy is playing a sneaky stabby warlock (especially when there are abilities for both the 3rd and 4th edition warlock to make them sneaky and stabby!) instead of a rogue because rogue is a lovely, terrible class and he wants to be effective both in and out of combat? Let him. Now, if the guy is Powergamus Maximus and it's ruining the fun of other players at the table, that's a problem which can be addressed in a number of ways which don't include "No, you're playing a rogue as defined by my arbitrary guidelines so your character is a rogue, now gently caress off".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'm willing to chalk it up to a miscommunication, sure. I still think there's more grey area than you're allowing for but again, as long as your group is happy, that's the important thing. Some people are over the moon playing ultra modded ultra "realistic" count-all-your-arrows-because-they-need-to-last campaigns, some people enjoy playing The World's Largest Dungeon, etc.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Note: I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here. I don't actually find D3 very fun, although my reasons are a little different than yours.

Agent355 posted:

In diablo 3 not only can you not make your own build because hotswapping skills destroys any and all enjoyment I get out of making a build

Cognitive dissonance detected. Or, more accurately, a false dichotomy. Just because you can't enjoy a build unless it's hard coded into your character does not mean you can't make your own build, and especially doesn't mean I can't do so. It just means you, for whatever grognard reason, can't enjoy it. Personally, I quite like being able to experiment with skills without having to make an entirely new character for every single combination.

quote:

but without exeption the best builds for any class is going to be whatever set got the most recent buff (which obviously means its going to be the best because RE: blizzard balance above). And because each set is 6 pieces and you need all 6 (or 5 plus a special ring) to make the build work 6 of you 11 pieces of gear are already determined before you even consider what the rest of the build is going to be.

This isn't really all that different from D2. You needed a bunch of specific gear for most end-game builds there, as well. It wasn't usually sets, but you still needed several specific uniques per character.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 7, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Agent355 posted:

In diablo 3 it's just whatever set you're using. Sure you will have some uniques outside the set and maybe some of them are sorta important, but 90% of what you want is just that set. There is no testing, no theorycrafting, no creativity or inspiration. Just a god drat 'collect these 6 items and roll your face on the keyboad'.

Hell, when I stopped playing Diablo 3, I still had a grand total of like 10 high-level unique items across all my characters and they were ... not very good, for the most part. One of the things they did really wrong was to turn off the Skinner Box. What's even the point of playing an endless loot grind when you can't actually expect to get any of the cool loot?

• Locked thread