Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I loving love Titan Quest. It's still my favourite game of its type - bar none. I always liked it more than Diablo 2, Diablo 3 was incredibly disappointing, and I don't know... I couldn't quite get into Grim Dawn. I should give it another go now that it's finished. I think they'd only done the first two acts when I played it.

Since I'm old-school enough to have a physical copy of the Gold Edition (main game + expansion) - rather than a Steam copy - I didn't qualify for a free upgrade to the Anniversary Edition, unfortunately. I got it in a sale recently, but haven't tried it yet - so I'm curious to see how different it is.

Anyway, I always, always played a Rogue + something else. Always. Nothing else I tried felt fast/punchy enough. I'd prioritise gear that had attack speed bonuses, sometimes maxing out attack speed, making my character a little dervish of destruction.

So I'd actually be interested to see one of these apparently amazing Hunting/Something combos. I remember hearing about them, but could never tear myself away from a Rogue combo.

Maybe Hunting/Dream (Haruspex), then? Apparently a "Spear Haruspex" is very powerful. I've played hundreds of hours of Titan Quest, but know next to nothing about those classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Dreamkiller does sound interesting. It's a Rogue combo, but one I don't think I ever tried.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That is some frantic, constant clicking. I mean it's to be expected in this sort of game - but Titan Quest does let you click and hold on an enemy to continue attacking them.

Speaking of frantic clicking though, can you still do the trick where you click rapidly on your gravestone to get more XP back?

Anyway, you know what? This game still looks really good. I always liked the use of colour in Titan Quest.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I hadn't really thought about co-op ARPG etiquette before. I play multiplayer games extremely rarely, but Titan Quest is a game I've played all the way through in co-op at least a couple of times.

I remember at a previous job there was a bunch of us playing through it during our lunch breaks for a while. I would use movement speed increasing items, XP-gain increasing items, level up whenever I felt like it, portal back to town whenever my inventory happened to fill up, etc.

Man, I was being a real jerk and I didn't even realise it. :saddowns:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh man, TitanCalc. Lots of memories flooding back from this LP. That the Anniversary Edition is just one game in a larger backlog I'm ploughing through is the only reason I haven't already installed it and started another run through myself.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The respec cost doubles for each point, doesn't it? I remember the cost becoming crippling pretty quickly; you don't want to be in a position where you feel like you need to do a major respec.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Yeah... I caved and started playing again too. I'm playing an old favourite; Assassin (Warfare + Rogue) - because who cares about defence, give me more DPS.

Forget mouse destruction; ouch my poor clicking hand. I'm certainly remembering that now.

I don't know how much they changed the loot tables in the Anniversary edition, but I'm having some amazing luck so far. I've found several blues and haven't even reached Delphi yet.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I was just having a look at the keybinds and you can apparently tell your pets to target something in particular - by ctrl-clicking on it. I don't know if that's new to the Anniversary edition; I've never really gone for pet builds.

Something that definitely is new though - and that I really appreciate - is the "quick pickup" button: "a" by default. No more having to individually click on each potion and pile of gold. Just be generally near them and hit "a" to suck them all up at once. (I think it covers beast bits and whatnot too.)

I've also been playing with item tags set to toggle rather than hold - another new thing (new to Titan Quest anyway) - not sure if I prefer it that way yet though.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Fun fact: "soda" is called "soft drink" here. I don't know why; maybe to differentiate it from "hard drink"?

Also I just fought ~Jacinto, the Rotten Hyacinth of Thessaly~ myself last night, in exactly the same place. I'm getting a lot of the same hero monsters as you guys, actually; I'm starting to think they're not that random.

Syncopated posted:

Never played through this game, how much of it takes place in Greece and how much in other places?

There are four acts (three without the expansion), and each act is in a different place; so about a quarter of it is in Greece. (... More or less.)

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Funny you should mention grinding here; I am currently grinding this exact part (the final part of the labyrinth and the two bosses) trying to get the final part I need of an essence of the Valour of Achilles. (For an artefact.)

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, I'd be up for more inventory management on-screen, for what it's worth. Finding cool loot and then making use of cool loot is a big part of the game.

Also I had the video on in the background for a bit so I may have missed it, but did you guys try out the pet-targeting button? I'm sort of curious how well that works now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Hopefully I can get it up tomorrow morning.

Hopefully you can get an episode of the LP out too. :v:

I'm a bit behind on the episodes, so I only just watched the one with the Diablo 3 rant. It's funny, I also think Diablo 3 is awful... but for mostly different reasons.

I actually quite like the art direction; for the environments at least. They have a nice painterly look. I'm not so fond of some of the character design though; that's where the WoW influence really creeps in, and I've always despised WoW's art direction too.

I didn't mind being able to hot-swap skills - I think I mostly stuck to the same selection of skills anyway. I don't know, I didn't engage with the skills too much, mainly due to one of my main problems with the game; it's too easy. Far too easy. I didn't need to pay attention to skills. I played it through when it first came out and only died a few times in the whole game, from memory. The New Game + difficulty improved things a bit - it's what the normal difficulty should have been, I think - but by that stage I was burnt out and didn't want to play anymore. Simply put, it was boring without any challenge!

A friend persuaded me to try it again after the expansion came out, saying it had been much improved with various patches. It was actually even easier than the first time, though. I don't think I died a single time, even after bumping up the difficulty as much as I could in the game setings (which I guess was added in a patch).

The second big issue I had with Diablo 3 was the always-online requirement. Just let me make an offline character, guys; all I want to do is play this singleplayer game I just bought - not wait in a queue to be allowed to load it. I definitely shouldn't be experiencing lag in a singleplayer game. I think lag was actually the cause of a couple of my scant few deaths in that playthrough.

The last big problem was that the equipment and loot system was incredibly dull. Everything was the same, no unique items, no decisions to make. Night and day when compared to Titan Quest, for example.

Man Diablo 3 was disappointing. It might not have been to the same degree as Agent355, but I was really looking forward to that game.

• Locked thread