Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyclicalAberration
Feb 14, 2012
If post industrial revolution history is any indication, human technology and ingenuity has more than compensated for natural resource depletion. Fears that population growth will outstrip food supply or that we will run out of oil seem completely unsupported by empirical evidence. Malthusian ideas have done enormous harm to humanity and I'm surprised that they're still so widely believed. You might find some solace in reading the writings of Julian Simon.

This isn't to say we shouldn't pursue conservation, worry about inequality in resource availability, or that certain sources of energy will become too expensive to be used. Yet, outside of some cataclysmic event I see no reason to worry about natural resource scarcity writ large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyclicalAberration
Feb 14, 2012

SavageGentleman posted:

sorry what? Did you completely miss the last posts? Going "well technology will solve everything" is not even a proper argument - it's basically a statement of faith

Your evidence that technological growth won't be able to compensate is? Historically it has. Of course this doesn't mean it always will, but without reason to believe otherwise I know what I will bet on.

The Al Bartlett talk is kind of a case in point, the only solid argument in there is that consumption of crude oil cannot continue indefinitely, which of course it can't. Yet, there is no real talk about the nature technological growth or even population growth which is vital to understanding how consumption might change. For example, all the population estimates I've read expect that world population is likely to peak sometime in the next century because of demographic transition. Instead that talk implicitly advocates for population controls, which at least presently look like they would've only been harmful.

• Locked thread