Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I first came to SA because someone linked a front page article to me. I thought it was cool but never thought about it again until I saw some restupurae videos. Clicking around, I found more front page content and then saw the forums. I lurked them for a while and eventually posted in games. When I first joined, I thought games would be a great place to chat about stuff, but now I mostly just lurk DnD for political updates and PYF for a condensed internet experience. I browse a couple of other news sites but largely my internet browsing is just the forums now (I also have really low-speed internet right now, which makes it hard to do anything but look at text).

Tell me about your glorious posting careers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
Its been something like 16 years.....I think there was a link to a front page article and every article had a "talk about it in the forums" link on it.

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
The other message board I frequent went to poo poo and I have 8 hours of free time to fill each day at work so here I am.

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Because it was cool and no, jesus christ no that's not why I still come here. Now it's mostly to laugh at the star citizen sperglords throwing tantrums and the occasional schmorky thread.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Some kid built himself a flamethrower and posted photos of the entire process step by step. Ended with him testing it in the middle of his suburban cul de sac :allears:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 11, 2017

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus
Because I'm a shitlord and I saw other shitlords on here and I wanted to become a professional shitlord. Or maybe it was the goons with spoons. It was probably that because drat that giant ham with brown sugar and diabetus was too good to pass up.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
:filez:

So obviously not

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I had read the frontpage articles for years and were aware of the forums but never really bothered to venture into them, especially with the reputation of being super strict with rules and easy to get banned from. Eventually I decided to wander in and the threads I could see for free were good enough so that I decided to sign up to kill time. There was usually a few good threads that I could keep up with, good mix of humor and information. More or less the same reason I stick around, usually a few threads worth reading and keeping up with.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
CAD mock threads

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I always read the photoshop fridays on the front page from whenever it first started (2001 or 2002?) But I thought the forums were $10 a month, not $10 forever, so I never joined until I finally figured it out. (arstechnica forums were/are $5 a month)
My favorite threads are the GBS threads of user created stories with the cartoons. Such as the choose your own adventure elf thing and Aladdin. My all time favorite was a space adventure a few years ago of one lady who has a big rear end, and one who has big tits. Can't find that thread at the moment.

Once I realized all of the subforums here, I stopped visiting the 5 other forums I used to use. And now I get my A/V, exercise, MMA/UFC, gardening, and Starcraft posting all in one place.

e: Figures, he's banned...
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594071

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 11, 2017

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
I was searching up bad game reviews in 2005, when I was fourteen.

Google search came up with Lowtax's review of "The Thing".

http://www.somethingawful.com/game-reviews/the-thing/1/

It's a shame that so many of the reviews and features (such as Weekend Web) haven't been added to for about five years.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Reg'd for Games, stayed for Coupons

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Thinking about it, I think SA is the only forum that I check on a daily basis. Most of my old haunts are either gone or have such low activity that I can check it like once a week and be caught up.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I always read the photoshop fridays on the front page from whenever it first started (2001 or 2002?) But I thought the forums were $10 a month, not $10 forever, so I never joined until I finally figured it out. (arstechnica forums were/are $5 a month)
My favorite threads are the GBS threads of user created stories with the cartoons. Such as the choose your own adventure elf thing and Aladdin. My all time favorite was a space adventure a few years ago of one lady who has a big rear end, and one who has big tits. Can't find that thread at the moment.

Once I realized all of the subforums here, I stopped visiting the 5 other forums I used to use. And now I get my A/V, exercise, MMA/UFC, gardening, and Starcraft posting all in one place.

e: Figures, he's banned...
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594071

nah, that thread was by applewhite: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3721418

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
i came here when some funny stuff was linked on other forums

i regged years later when i was drunk and wanted to poo poo on a shitlord called :agesilaus:

at first i posted mostly on history threads in a/t because comedy had almost died from the awful moderation

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I started coming here to procrastinate from work I was supposed to be doing and I still come here for that reason

Hawke
May 1, 2008
Came for the games, stayed for the games. SA beats all the other forums I used to browse by far.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I joined after lurking for a few years because I thought the users were hilarious. I just stay to read threads at work, and almost never post since most of the sub-forums I used to like aren't funny anymore.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Thank you!

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

signalnoise posted:

Reg'd for Games, stayed for Coupons

I used to browse SA-Mart bought a couple things from people. My favorite purchase was the candy by that Raley guy in Florida. Tried to get an office I worked for to buy a bunch one time, but that didn't pan out.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Hawke posted:

Came for the games, stayed for the games. SA beats all the other forums I used to browse by far.

I play too many games and I like to read about them as well. On reddit it feels like all they do is shitpost memes. On 4chan it feels like all they do is argue and insult each other. On SA you get a little of those things but they mostly just talk about the loving game, which is nice.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Used to read the front page regularly in high school in computer lab 2004-5ish. Forgot about SA for near 9 years until I ran into goons on a bad video game and decided to reg.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I lurked in D&D for years because the USPOL and political cartoon threads were so interesting. A few weeks ago, I realized that I was sick of being unceremoniously booted from reading them because of SA's periodic "You must be a registered member to see this page" message, so I finally pulled the trigger and joined.

Haven't regretted it. SA is friendlier to newbies than I was expecting, and I no longer have to worry about randomly losing access to my favorite threads.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
My forum sub was a very sweet christmas present from a very sweet goon. The roleplaying community is really good here and full of super good writers, and he thought I'd really like it here. He was right. SA is a neat place, and I've talked to some pretty cool folks.

I mostly lurk in GBS' various relationship threads/ the OSHA thread) and do roleplay stuff in The Game Room. I'm not super duper active but it's chill.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Joined because of the Cliff Yablonski, stayed because I am too used these type of forums to ever go anywhere else

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I liked the ghost story threads, ironically there hasn't been a good one ever since i reg'd

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I came here because of funny photoshops and a shared caustic sense of humor. I'm still here because neither of those things have gone away.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Someone was being an idiot about something and oh boy let me tell you

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

a shared caustic sense of humor.

I think that really endeared me to the forums too, though I don't know if I identified it right away. I used to do that goonTV thing awhile back where people would watch videos together. It was nice because no one took anything going on there too seriously but there weren't lovely people just spamming the chatbox.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I joined because I some 10 years ago joined a World of Warcraft guild whose members primarily were goons. I no longer play World of Warcraft, but boy do I shitpost!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Came for the :filez: came back for the shitposting.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I have no idea.

Still here for the GiP / TFR / NYC threads

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
I got my first account around 2000 having been banned from pretty much every unreal tournament and quake 3 forum for trolling. I just needed a safe place to shitpost I guess so yeah I'm still here for the same thing.

Eighty Seven
Jun 4, 2010
A friend of mine registered waaaaay back and when he heard I was getting into Eve Online, he suggested I register so I could get into the cool space flying sperg crew. I totally hosed that up asking to join because I wasn't aware of the paranoid space politic espionage bullshit going on in spreadsheets online at the time and ended up registering with one of the other, less popular nulsec squads. Stuck around because if you sift through all the shitposts, you can find some real cool stuff. Like Edgecrusher's thread about his hosed up life, or The Health Care Stories megathread.

Edit: Lurked since 2006 or 2007 reading the GBS threads when I wasn't gaming. Not that it really matters, BUT I SURE THOUGHT IT DID WHEN I WAS ASKING TO JOIN GOONFLEET! gently caress.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Joined for the Frankie saga. I keep hoping to see something like that again. Sporadic effortposts keep me around. This is the best community on the internet.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I joined because I wanted to be with like minded gamers who were better than average at games before I realized exactly what kind of person gamers are. Now I still come here because I obviously hate myself enough to subject myself to reading the drivel gamers come up with. This is the worst community on the internet.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think it was for the photoshops? Those are still golden, the Ankara terrorist one was beyond exceptional.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I read the articles on the front page then realized after a few years there was a forum and welp why not pay $10 to get in.

Then I stuck around because it was pretty well moderated and had the mix of idiocy and serious discussion that I was looking for. Still does, for the most part, though the two parts are never quite balanced.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Came for the homemade flamethrower, stayed for SH/SC and some other areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Joined because of a friend's recommendation. Stayed becaus hell, why not. This place is probably the best expression of "Web 1.0" in the anglosphere of internet.

• Locked thread