Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I came here because SA had really strictly enforced rules re: grammar and civility which made it a breath of fresh air compared to everything else on the internet, especially at the time.

This, 100%. SA was like the only l33t-speak-free forum anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I saw "SomethingAwful.com" painted on the side of a paintball tank at Skirmish USA during the huge Invasion of Normandy game, back in '06 I believe. Looked up the site when I got home, lurked on and off for like a year, and then finally subbed.

I don't post much, but I frequent TFR, Cycle Asylum, Games, and GBS.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
I was part of the influx of people that came from the shuttering of 3dfiles.com forums. That was back before you had to pay to become a member. Then I got banned and changed names in 2003.

I still come here because you fuckers are hilarious most of the time. And now that the 'tax man is back the forums are less of a shithole than they were when he was on hiatus.

edit: loving 14 year anniversary on this gay site tomorrow.

wow i'm old.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I was homeless and poor and SA was the only forum that took me in.

But really, my roommate at the time gifted me an account. I stayed for the photoshop phridays although I don't really participate so often anymore. I spend more time on Games and CC with ocasional visits to other forums.
My favorite moment was that mod-sponsored contest with the outrageous challenges such as a goon getting a Chumbawumba tattoo.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I joined because of Atma's CYOAs, or at least that's when the decision to join gelled for me. I love SA and GBS in particular because it's not locked into one political or social subculture and I can explore all my interests (and learn lots of new things) without feeling either oppressed by opposing viewpoints or smothered by a obnoxious hugbox. I feel like I've earned my $10 worth of entertainment and much much more. SA is funny, pathetic, uplifting, humbling and affirmative all at once and it is always challenging.

I have yet to encounter another web community that can surpass or even match the caliber of people and discussion on the Somethingawful Forums and believe me I'm searching desperately :rimshot:

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
It was the smokey the Bear Photoshop phriday. Then I kept looking at Photoshop phriday. Forgot about it for a while, sophmore year of college, '06, a buddy bought me an account after talking about reading the front page and forums thru the paywall. Strangely enough, I never knew his username. I lurked for a long time, probably posted a bit but mostly read. A few years later lost my password , which was still attached to my school email which I no longer had access to , so that account died. Forgot about it again, and reregged a few years back. I like the general humor here at the forums, I've laughed as hard at some threads here as any other form of media. The fyad thread in response to the goon zipline may be the funniest thing I've seen. I'll forget about it for this place for months and years at a time (although I've probably been more active in the past 2 years than any other time since finding the site 13 years ago) but it always seems to bring me back.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
Joined to stop the old lady ads.

Stayed because I'm still trying to get my $10 worth.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

maporfic posted:

Joined to stop the old lady ads.

Stayed because I'm still trying to get my $10 worth.

Good luck with that poo poo.

Came because this was one of the best moderated forums out there, and if there was anything to be interested in, there has pretty much always been a thread or place to talk about it. That's mostly been true since I joined, and I can say that my interest in the forum is linked directly to how interesting certain threads or subforums can be. Sometimes I just come here to see what's on Tacticlol, and I won't be interested in anything else in weeks.

I can always go to PYF and get a chuckle though. Definitely better than Reddit.

fake edit: :goku:

TheShibumi
Jul 15, 2004

Language is a virus.
I joined to take part in gun meets with another Goon I knew. Now I generally only use the forums when traveling to meet up with far away Goons from time to time. So I came for community and still use it for that purpose, minus the pewpewpew.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I can always go to PYF and get a chuckle though. Definitely better than Reddit.

PYF is like a convenient one-stop shop for internet stuff. I don't really feel like searching for interesting content on my own anymore, but there's a shitton of people who share videos, comics, interesting or awful sites on PYF. It's like a distilled internet without as much garbage to sort through to get one good thing.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I thought Jeff K was really funny in 2001 and joined with a previous account but I don't think that's even updated anymore.

icecreamjesus
Jul 12, 2016

A girl I was dating got me to join. She dumped me but I still have my account. Kill me?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Imagine I posted a gif of the simpsons where homer has changed his workplace sign to "DO IT FOR HER" but it then morphs back into the original sign Mr. Burns placed: "YOU'RE HERE FOREVER"

Fallendragoness
Mar 10, 2017
I came here mostly to join a wow guild with a friend of mine, but also in college I remember foraging within these hallowed halls for internet gold. So the ten bucks to support the community was worth it for my past and future amusement.

Edit: I can't figure out how to embed this gif, I tried. Enjoy it as a link.

http://giphy.com/gifs/world-player-warcraft-w1VyiVnghTi0w

Fallendragoness fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 10, 2017

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Used to read the Gamespy and Pennyarcde forums a bunch back in the day (1999-2007ish). Someone there linked to a thread at SA about a Goon who admitting to sniffing the underwear of his sister. Said goon was eventually outed, his mother found out, and he was forced to seek therapy. That is still one of the funniest/weirdest/tragic/gross things I've ever read on the internet. Speaking of which, is that thread in Archives?

I then forgot about SA, but re-discovered SA in 2008 and found myself reading the Obamarama thread. And I continue to lurk/post in SA because, honestly, while the community has gotten smaller, there are still a lot of quality threads and its easier to find them than shifting through Reddit. Also I'm old and resistant to change. :corsair:

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 10, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I joined SA because I had an office job for the first time that allowed me to goof off and surf the internet. All other jobs before then had been retail. Despite my bad work habits I still have an office job and have not had to return to retail as of yet.

99% of my posts are in CineD, I'm a movie fanatic.

icecreamjesus
Jul 12, 2016

N. Senada posted:

Imagine I posted a gif of the simpsons where homer has changed his workplace sign to "DO IT FOR HER" but it then morphs back into the original sign Mr. Burns placed: "YOU'RE HERE FOREVER"

I can see it clearly and I'm never leaving.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I joined my Freshman year of college because I was interested in the DnD discussion about Obama, LF-posting, and Old GBS 1.0.

DnD is a toxic cesspool now and I find C-SPAM to be a lot more enjoyable. LF is, of course, gone and I miss it. Old GBS was better.

Nowadays, I mainly lurk DnD, Overwatch threads, PYF threads, and C-SPAM.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Basebf555 posted:

I joined SA because I had an office job for the first time that allowed me to goof off and surf the internet. All other jobs before then had been retail. Despite my bad work habits I still have an office job and have not had to return to retail as of yet.

99% of my posts are in CineD, I'm a movie fanatic.

You should post in the Blockbuster video forum as well, my very good friend Basebf555.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
SA is a surprisingly good source of general information on a wide variety of topics. Like everything on the internet not everything is reliable, but the crazies are mostly consistently called out on it. Combined with editorial control and enforced basic literacy made it stand out compared to all the other internet trash forums. Truth is political debate on SA is probably better than any political discussions online and most offline.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Yeah I stick around because TFR and GiP are, amazingly, the least insane forums about their particular topics.

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

This is the tower of murder... it's where I hang out!
Started reading the SA frontpage around 2001-2002, primarily yuks from Cliff Yablonski and other SA classic zaniness. Things like Photoshop Phriday introduced me to the existence of the forums, but I didn't bite the bullet and join until 2005--the forums struck me as being as diverse/potentially interesting to read as Usenet or old pre-WWW BBSes but a bit more organized. Stuck around because, as others have mentioned, social pressure and :10bux: seems to keep things somewhat civil and sane here (Of course, I still stay clear of FYAD and BYOB.) So I post once in a while in Traditional Games, TFR and a few other places, but mostly I read, learn, and continue to enjoy the zaniness and yuks. This forum has been great for adding a large number of obscure inside jokes to my mental world that nobody gets, unless of course they have stairs in their house.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I joined in 2005 in my first year of college because my friend down the hall wanted someone to empty quote his posts in FYAD so he could get "accepted". I made some bad posts and did the quoting thing for a while, then lurked for a few years and now I make bad posts in other subforums.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think there was a jeffk front page thing about Everquest, checked out the forums and enjoyed making terrible posts and arguing with people over trivial poo poo.

So not much has changed when you really get down to it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

N. Senada posted:

You should post in the Blockbuster video forum as well, my very good friend Basebf555.

I tried but it quickly resulted in a probation when I got too verbose about my desert island movie choices. I was supposed to just choose one but I said I can't choose and listed three movies instead.

Bloke
May 22, 2004

Back in 2004 after p-p-powerbook went viral, I got hooked reading the thread where it all unfolded. When I clicked on like, page 4 it said I had to pay to read on.

So after I read the awesome thread, I went into GBS and after about 5 minutes of browsing I emailed the mods asking for my money back. Never got a reply!

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
First started browsing the forums in 2002 to read Everquest and other MMO threads. Joined with my first account in 2003 to use a lot more of Automotive Insanity, and met some really good friends there. One friend I met in AI after joining in 2003, was a year ahead of me in college, and he basically took me under his wing and introduced me to a whole social circle of friends I still have today. He met me half-way on my drive to college from Tx-->GA , housed me at his place, drove the rest of the way with me to our school, and proceeded to help form who I became as a person today. All from meeting over some AI picture thread discussion.

Got banned in 2007, and came back a few months later. So I chose this username and avatar WAY before that fuckin Jared from Subway became a pedo. I've just been to cheap to buy a new username/avatar. When they found out he was a pedo, I had to basically change all my non-pay forum sites usernames, junk email addresses, blog titles, etc. all because I used "Subways Jared" as a moniker for a long time. That rear end hole going pedo really screwed poo poo up for me.

Still one of the most informative sites on the web that I turn to first when I'm looking for reliable resources. I can't believe I actually went to a few goon meets back in like 2005. Amazing people of the forums, but total train-wrecks socially in real life.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I used to be a really active poster in the ACMLM community. But I kinda stuck out like a sore thumb when I got extra privileges and learned many members of the community were weird pony fuckers, furries, and borderline younger teen hentai worshipers. So I burnt the hell out of that bridge and read the rules of this forum. Paid the money and I have been a member ever since.

What really attracted me to here was you had actual money on the line. I could have joined other gamer websites that were free to register but here; if you were outed then you were gone.

Basically this place is a hell of a lot better than loving reddit and has gotten me more laughs than anything else you can find online. So thanks Goons.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Friend recommended it in 2007 and I immediately saw two things I loved:

1. The football subforum.
2. The huge thread about if it was possible to defeat a gorilla in 1-on-1 unarmed combat.

I still chuckle thinking about that thread. E: It was dozens and dozens of pages long and I can't tell if it was a huge troll but like half the loving thread were people defending the idea that you could defeat a gorilla in unarmed hand-to-hand combat. And you loving cant do it what the hell!

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I went on 4chan pretty regularly throughout high school, and I briefly read up on the origin of it, so I checked out the front page and thought it qas hilarious. Once I got my first job I bought an account, but I didn't use it for a while, and then I eventually posted in BYOB. Mostly I stay for BYOB and PYF, but like a few people have said I like the variety of views and perspectives people have. 4chan is a garbage site and always has been, and SA was a breath of fresh air.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I like reading personal stories from actual people who aren't authors. It was the bizarre kind of stories from stuff like Weekend Web and Awful Link of the Day that drew me in, but threads where people talk about more mundane stuff, like unique and interesting jobs, their country or culture, their religion, sexuality or whatever else; all of that stuff is interesting to me.

The forums are a pretty neat way to read personal stories and experience from people belonging to groups that you'd otherwise never really interact with. Some of those groups are out-right off-putting, like people or communities showcased on ALOD would often be, and some stuff is more mundane, but it is all largely interesting for the same thing; people are interesting.

Ask/Tell is pretty neat for this. I mean, if you want to know some facts about Tanzania then you can look it up on Wikipedia or whatever, but some random goon sharing their personal experience of how it is to live in Tanzania is distinctly unique from that, and both interesting and worthwhile to learn about.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I originally joined for Ask/Tell and GBS. Even though I am posting in Ask/Tell right now I hardly even look here anymore. I remember when I first joined spending hours reading really interesting threads, now... I can visit here half a year later and I see the same boring mega threads I did six months ago.

Also, I don't know what I can say about GBS, but, usually I don't find it funny anymore. I guess I am just old.

However, now, I spend most of my time looking at the sports, games, movies, coupons and other specific discussion threads.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

ToxicToast posted:

I originally joined for Ask/Tell and GBS. Even though I am posting in Ask/Tell right now I hardly even look here anymore. I remember when I first joined spending hours reading really interesting threads, now... I can visit here half a year later and I see the same boring mega threads I did six months ago.

I agree for the most part about Ask/Tell, really. The Ask/Tell subforums (Science, Academics and Languages, Tourism & Travel, Business, Finance, and Careers) removed a lot of content from Ask/Tell, and also changed that content into something that is less interesting to me. The various subforums dealing with specific professions and regions seem largely like chat threads.

As an example, I like and participate in the Scandinavian thread, and you absolutely can go in there and ask a question about anything related to anything Scandinavian, but it is a chat thread, and even if people wrote in English, It'd be largely uninteresting for any outsiders still imo. The Scandinavian thread might sort of take the place of an Ask/Tell Scandinavia thread, but you really can't read it from end-to-end like you might do with an Ask/Tell thread about a country or a region.

Arash
Mar 14, 2017

Professional opossum.
Grimey Drawer
I've been hearing for years about the content that SA makes. I also kept hearing how it was a place for high quality discussion and was well moderated. When I actually started reading the SA front page and saw all the well made content I was, to say the least, impressed that a user base could consistently output well made content. It actually got me into teaching myself Photoshop (hopefully I will be able to learn a thing or two here). After maybe 4 years of on and off browsing I finally gave in and surrendered $10.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Registered for hockey and racing talk and because the SASWiki was hilarious.

Stayed for that, aviation, TV, GTA Online and, most recently, wrasslin' chat. Literally anything I want to post about on a message board, I can do here.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I saw a thread about counterprotests for the Westborough Baptist Church where goons went with nerd signs, back in my internet atheist days. I lurked for a few years before a pay wall went up and bit the bullet because I was addicted.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Sister bought me an account, have been browsing ever since.

I mostly browse here because Reddit loving sucks and this is probably the oldest Kind of Good forum on the internet.

Nil Admirari
Nov 23, 2000
I got bored of the Voodoo Extreme forums. I still come here because I'm a hopeless wreck.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Found out about this place through the first online forums I ever participated in, a Nintendo message board. All the cool posters there made allusions to SA, and I really wanted to be a cool poster there so I had to check it out. Photoshop Phridays and other GBS comedy drew me in, though I was strictly a lurker for many years. Mostly out of fear that I'd get banned for not following a rule out of ignorance.

Then later in HS and into college, I found many interests outside of Nintendo, leading to my withdrawal from that original forums. But I stuck around SA, and weirdly have it to thank for helping cultivate a lot of my hobbies over the years. I would have probably been a way more irresponsible drug user if it weren't for TCC. I learned a lot of good culinary techniques and recipes from GWS. NMD/ML has helped me discover great new music and also produce some of my own.

These days, I mostly post in SAS and YLS, though I still browse GBS and some of the other subs from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
Came for DPPH (no pun intended) and nmp3, but stayed when they left for the rest of the forums

MarksMan fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 3, 2017

• Locked thread