Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I like reading personal stories from actual people who aren't authors. It was the bizarre kind of stories from stuff like Weekend Web and Awful Link of the Day that drew me in, but threads where people talk about more mundane stuff, like unique and interesting jobs, their country or culture, their religion, sexuality or whatever else; all of that stuff is interesting to me.

The forums are a pretty neat way to read personal stories and experience from people belonging to groups that you'd otherwise never really interact with. Some of those groups are out-right off-putting, like people or communities showcased on ALOD would often be, and some stuff is more mundane, but it is all largely interesting for the same thing; people are interesting.

Ask/Tell is pretty neat for this. I mean, if you want to know some facts about Tanzania then you can look it up on Wikipedia or whatever, but some random goon sharing their personal experience of how it is to live in Tanzania is distinctly unique from that, and both interesting and worthwhile to learn about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

ToxicToast posted:

I originally joined for Ask/Tell and GBS. Even though I am posting in Ask/Tell right now I hardly even look here anymore. I remember when I first joined spending hours reading really interesting threads, now... I can visit here half a year later and I see the same boring mega threads I did six months ago.

I agree for the most part about Ask/Tell, really. The Ask/Tell subforums (Science, Academics and Languages, Tourism & Travel, Business, Finance, and Careers) removed a lot of content from Ask/Tell, and also changed that content into something that is less interesting to me. The various subforums dealing with specific professions and regions seem largely like chat threads.

As an example, I like and participate in the Scandinavian thread, and you absolutely can go in there and ask a question about anything related to anything Scandinavian, but it is a chat thread, and even if people wrote in English, It'd be largely uninteresting for any outsiders still imo. The Scandinavian thread might sort of take the place of an Ask/Tell Scandinavia thread, but you really can't read it from end-to-end like you might do with an Ask/Tell thread about a country or a region.

• Locked thread