Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I had a good feeling about this one, and it's already exceeding my expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Praying both teams pick scissors this round so we could have three ties in a row using all three moves.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I don't know how, but this is probably one of the most interesting threads I have ever read! :five:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Glaive17 posted:

I don't know how, but this is probably one of the most interesting threads I have ever read! :five:

Same here. I wasn't actually expecting this LP to be thrilling, but here we are.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Gaffle posted:

Praying both teams pick scissors this round so we could have three ties in a row using all three moves.

Would that just straight up reset strategy almost like you're starting from scratch? I feel like it would.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Somebody better break out the scissors soon

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Round 4 is finished!

The result:

ROCK GLARES SULLENLY AT ROCK! IT IS A TIE!

Current score: 1-0 in favour of Team Left, three points left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPR-
R: RRPR-

Summary:

Thus far, the game really seems to revolve around rock being the primary go-to move (despite the fact that no one ever plays scissors), although we are starting to hear more and more arguments in favour of the good ol' scissors. Maybe next time someone will score a point?

I will probably let the next round drag on a while longer than the usual 24~hour schedule on account of the weekend, unless the votes come in quickly from both teams.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
USE SCISSORS!!!

:argh:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

USE SCISSORS!!!

:argh:

It appears the teams are playing the more advanced two-move "Rock Paper": Paper beats rock, rock... ...well, rock does nothing.

Also, I'd like to say that I'm happy to see that so many people seem to be enjoying this LP! :) I'm as surprised as you are that this turned out half as interesting as it is, to tell you the truth.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Nobody is going to play scissors now out of fear of the ROCK

The only winning move is not to play always be paper

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nobody is going to play scissors now out of fear of the ROCK

The only winning move is not to play always be paper
But that's what they want you to think! This is a long con so that you think paper is the move and bam, I drop scissors.

Covski posted:

Also, I'd like to say that I'm happy to see that so many people seem to be enjoying this LP! :) I'm as surprised as you are that this turned out half as interesting as it is, to tell you the truth.
It's oddly compelling. Very cool as an observer to watch both teams strategize.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I seriously hope this becomes a thing for Battleship, Connect 4, and Guess Who

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Both teams seem to have been viewing their own scissors as the desperate, emergency move, while being too afraid of the opponents' scissors to pick paper. Can't wait to see which team caves first and finally picks scissors (especially if they get crushed by rock when they do)

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Glad to see that one team is finally considering scissors. A good LP shows off as much game content as possible.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

I thought LP innovation was dead, but this is it. This is the Let's Play that ushers in the newer new millennium.

echidnagirl
Mar 27, 2014
This round will have a winner, it seems. Team rights strategy to tie forever and bore their enemy to death won't work, maybe they should try winning sometime.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Let's talk a little bit about game theory in general.

What is game theory?

The term "game theory" is a bit of a misnomer, as it doesn't really have anything to do with what we normally think of as games. The sort of situations that game theory deals with are scenarios where there are multiple people who do something, and the results that everyone gets depend on the actions that everyone took. People are out to maximize their own payoff, so they're going to try to pick the best move with the knowledge that everyone else is trying to pick their own best move. This is a simple idea at a high level, but it's powerful enough to model a very wide range of human activity.

Can you give some examples?

Sure. For this writeup, I'm going to limit the discussion to what are known as two-player simultaneous move games. Those are pretty much exactly what you'd expect: two people pick an action without knowing what the other person is doing, and they get a payoff that depends on both actions. I'm also going to assume that each player chooses from a finite set of moves, because that's a lot easier to describe than the more general case.

The classic example of a game is the prisoner's dilemma. Wikipedia has a perfectly good description, so let me just quote it:

quote:

Two members of a criminal gang are arrested and imprisoned. Each prisoner is in solitary confinement with no means of communicating with the other. The prosecutors lack sufficient evidence to convict the pair on the principal charge. They hope to get both sentenced to a year in prison on a lesser charge. Simultaneously, the prosecutors offer each prisoner a bargain. Each prisoner is given the opportunity either to: betray the other by testifying that the other committed the crime, or to cooperate with the other by remaining silent. The offer is:
  • If A and B each betray the other, each of them serves 2 years in prison
  • If A betrays B but B remains silent, A will be set free and B will serve 3 years in prison (and vice versa)
  • If A and B both remain silent, both of them will only serve 1 year in prison (on the lesser charge)
The usual way of writing a game out succinctly involves a matrix that I'm not going to try to reproduce in a text only format, so let's try something a little different:
Betray/ Betray: -2, -2
Betray/Cooperate: 0, -3
Cooperate/Betray: -3, 0
Cooperate/Cooperate: -1, -1
Here the first column should be read as A's action/B's action, and the second column is A's payoff/B's payoff.

Another classic example is the game of chicken:

quote:

The game of chicken models two drivers, both headed for a single-lane bridge from opposite directions. The first to swerve away yields the bridge to the other. If neither player swerves, the result is a costly deadlock in the middle of the bridge, or a potentially fatal head-on collision. It is presumed that the best thing for each driver is to stay straight while the other swerves (since the other is the "chicken" while a crash is avoided). Additionally, a crash is presumed to be the worst outcome for both players. This yields a situation where each player, in attempting to secure his best outcome, risks the worst.
The payoffs here can be written as follows:
Swerve/Swerve: 0/0
Swerve/Straight: -1/1
Straight/Swerve: 1/-1
Straight/Straight: -10/-10

Finally, there's the topic of this thread, rock-paper-scissors. I don't need to describe that, but let me write out the payoff matrix just for completeness:
Paper/Paper: 0/0
Paper/Rock: 1/-1
Paper/Scissors: -1/1
Rock/Paper: -1/1
Rock/Rock: 0/0
Rock/Scissors: 1/-1
Scissors/Paper: 1/-1
Scissors/Rock: -1/1
Scissors/Scissors: 0/0

In the interests of discussion, suppose that you're playing one of these games. You want to maximize your payoff, and you know that everyone else is trying to maximize their own payoff. What do you do? (Of course, you could just click on the Wikipedia links I gave and read the analysis there. But that'd be lame, so don't do it.)

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
In single-iteration prisoner's dilemma, it is better to snitch (shanking is not simulated). You either get 0 - a full win! - or -2 (which is still less bad than -3 if you cooperate and they don't).

In chicken, it is better to swerve. Sure, you cannot win if you do that, but the outcome of both players going straight is just too dangerous. Of course, then you get into hyperrationality shenanigans, but I still think that in a single iteration you should just swerve. (also because I am a very timid driver and just let people pass if they seem to want to.)

In RPS IT IS CHAOS

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The big difference between Rock Paper Scissors and games like Chicken, the Prisoner's Dilemma, the Stag Hunt, Rendezvous, etc, is that RPS does not have a pure strategy Nash Equilibrium, because there is never going to be a situation in which neither player stands to gain by being the only one to change strategies (this is to be expected, really; RPS is both zero-sum and non-cooperative). If you allow mixed strategies, then, well, obviously the equilibrium is going to end up just being choosing entirely randomly between the three, since any weighting towards one choice produces an incentive for your opponent to weight that choice's counter.

This is why this tournament has banned the use of random number generators - because it removes the only possible equilibrium state and turns RPS into an exercise in pure metagaming; predicting, or attempting to predict, what your opponent is going to do based entirely on data and knowledge of them (and, of course, appraising of their knowledge of you).

A Nash Equilibrium is a state proven (by the reasonably famous economist of the same name) to exist in any iterative finite-strategy game. In an equilibrium state, all players know that no player has anything to gain from being the only one to change their strategy. In most cooperative games, this state is when both players choose complementary strategies; if either suddenly stops, everyone loses. In the Prisoner's Dilemma, it's when both players betray eachother (and not when they both stay silent), because switching from betrayal to alliance only pays off if your opponent does the same. In Chicken, it's literally any state other than the car crash. Etc etc.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
There seems to be a degree of fatalism in Team Right. Their next move seems to be more desperation than deliberation.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm glad we're dwelving into the more demoralizing aspects of Rock Paper Scissors.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 5 is finished!

The result:

ROCK BREAKS SCISSORS! TEAM LEFT SCORES!

Current score: 2-0 in favour of Team Left, two points left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPRR-
R: RRPRS-

Summary:

A surprisingly unanimous team finally brings the scissors. It doesn't work out. As a side note, this leaves BrightWing as the only player on Team Right who has never voted for a losing move.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
A beat down for the ages.

Also, the true way to play a single iteration prisoner's dilemma is to cooperate because you can never guarantee it is actually single iteration, or that the results won't carry over into another game.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Standard psychology would say that the failure of their desperate move would make Right leery of ever using scissors again, but they have stuck with a loser before.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Added Space posted:

Standard psychology would say that the failure of their desperate move would make Right leery of ever using scissors again, but they have stuck with a loser before.
Given that most people in these threads KNOW that winners are likely to repeat the move, sticking with scissors is probably the safest play actually, because Left is likely to intentionally not pick rock.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
This is interesting. Left seems to be confident, with 5 out of 7 respondents making the same choice. Right is reeling, with only 3 respondents all suggesting different things.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So the left is going to win this easily, correct?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cathode Raymond posted:

I think that the gloved hand has given team right a sort of villainous arrogance which I am sure will lead to their downfall.

Are you saying that the gloved right hand has a sinister appearance?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mega64 posted:

Well, left has to win two rounds, with right winning no more than three. Right has to win four rounds, with left winning no more than one.

Assuming it's equally likely for either team to win a round (and ignoring ties, because each round is [before you bring psychology and metagaming into to it] independent), you can go down to the fifth row of Pascal's Triangle (I guess the 1 at the top is the zeroth row?) and go:

L0 R5: 1/32
L1 R4: 5/32
L2 R3: 10/32
L3 R2: 10/32
L4 R1: 5/32
L5 R0: 1/32

Of course, in some of these cases the contest would already have been over by this point, but I don't think that should matter for adding these probabilities up? Either way, Right wins in the first two cases and left wins in the last four. Total for the first two is 6/32, or 3/16. Total for the last four is 26/32, or 13/16.

So all else being equal, right still has a 3/16 or 19% chance to win. Possible, but you wouldn't shoot an X-COM alien on those odds.

quote:

Also, the true way to play a single iteration prisoner's dilemma is to cooperate because you can never guarantee it is actually single iteration, or that the results won't carry over into another game.
Yeah, iterated prisoner's dilemma is a whole different kettle of fish, and a lot of fun. I love that one of the most effective strategies for point scoring (although not winning individual games) is the wonderfully simple Tit for Tat: cooperate on turn 1, for every following turn do whatever your opponent just did.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Mega64 posted:

The game, perhaps, but the next round may well to go Right. In 'best of seven' type competition, when one team is two wins ahead it's common to see the other team rally and gain a win. It's thought the winning team will grow overconfident and slack, where the behind team will focus more intently.

Given recent votes, that exactly seems to be happening in this round.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I find it interesting that Team Right has been at such an apparent psychological disadvantage after losing that first round: It seems that many of their players have considered every tie as a loss for their side. Whether or not that has affected their performance is harder to tell, of course.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Okay so Team Right is definitely going for scissors, while Team Left is currently tied between rock and paper. This is pretty exciting.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
C'mon Team Left you can do it!

e: Looks like they're going rock :getin:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Nevermind, Torrannor stepped up to lead Team Left to yet another victory!

(unless, of course, Team Right suddenly all switch to paper in a very suspicious twist of fate)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Watching how these teams play, I think I've figured out a good general strategy for group based RPS. I'm going to save it in case there's another go after this one, though.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 6 is finished!

The result:

ROCK BREAKS ANOTHER PAIR OF SCISSORS! TEAM LEFT SCORES!

Current score: 3-0 in favour of Team Left, one point left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPRRR-
R: RRPRSS-

Summary:

The scissors gets within a hair's breadth of reedeeming themselves, but Torrannor saves Team Left by a single vote. I'm actually starting to feel a bit sorry for Team Right at this point.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Scissors has shown itself to indeed be a desperation move, and I think Team Right is only embracing it because they've allowed their dark gloved hand to convince them that they are Desperados who are on the run and don't deserve to win against a team as formidable as Left.

Basic math would suggest that all three moves are equally valid, but we know in our hearts that basic math is a lie.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I predict Right will come back to win 4-3. This is how the world works now.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

nine-gear crow posted:

Give Left the finger and quit the game. I hate all of you.

We have a rage quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Added Space posted:

We have a rage quit.

Ragequitting RPS has to be a new low.

• Locked thread