Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
This match being decided by Scissors cutting paper would be the ultimate capstone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Uh oh, rock is gaining support in the Left thread. I kinda wanted a scissors win :smith:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
It's still 5/4 paper/rock in the Left thread. I believe.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Team Left has become and almost even split of Rock Believers and Apostates.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Pick rock you fools!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

drat team left is shook as gently caress

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
If Team Right loses the moment Crow returns, then we will know who dragged them down.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Round 11 is finished!

The result:

SCISSORS CUT PAPER! TEAM RIGHT SCORES!

Current score: Tied at 3-3, NEXT POINT BY EITHER TEAM WINS THE GAME!

Previous moves:

L: PRPRRRRRSSP-
R: RRPRSSRRRRS-

Summary:

I can't believe it. Team Right does the unthinkable and plays scissors, based on little more than gut feeling. Team Left performs the most intense debating we've seen thus far in the game, but the faith of the rock loyalists loses out by a single vote. Paper is played, scissors manage to actually win, and the comeback is real. It is now down to a single throw. This game has no right to be this intense.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Alright, now time for rock vs. rock for like four more rounds :unsmigghh:

Alternatively, Team Left will now go into total disarray. Much arguing and 'I told you so' from the rock purists, until a split vote leaves them in shambles.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 28, 2017

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

poo poo I just caught up with this thread, tense as gently caress.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
:five::five::five::five::five:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The goddamn ups and downs, the tension, the thrills. I could never have expected it to turn out this way

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Why does it had to end at 4 dammit, make it

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This thread is incredible. A Let's Play RPS is genuinely intriguing and tense.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Team left, you only have to throw rock, papers and scissors! You can't throw the game!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I haven't been watching the threads; how many votes for dynamite have there been? :v:

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Since every hand can be the last hand, I wonder if playing for a draw could be the actual winning strategy? Seems to me that no one would expect this, just one point from the end.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
This is the single most compelling drama on these dead gay forums

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Oh hey, wow, the thread went gold :o I'm a bit overwhelmed by the positive response this silly idea is gotten, but drat if it isn't pretty drat exciting now. The teams are really showing their nerves at this point, and Right's sudden comeback has really set the stage for a dramatic finale. I don't even know if I prefer to see Left winning so that everyone comes out feeling good about themselves, or Right coming back to win as the total underdog (with the added bonus of seeing Left eating each other after losing a 3-0 lead).

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I haven't been watching the threads; how many votes for dynamite have there been? :v:

Not a single one, surprisingly, unless nine-gear crow's ragequit counts

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The struggle is real!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

oldskool posted:

Wouldn't be the first time the left blew a presumed insurmountable advantage.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cathode Raymond posted:

I see from the Right thread that Crow jumped right back onto their team once their fortune changed.

A spate of good luck changes nothing. At this point, they're just means to an end.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

stop reading the observer thread crow :bahgawd:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yyyyyyyeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssss :getin:

I didn't pay super close attention to this thread for the first few rounds, but then the scissors got broken out and I was curious. Then team right made a comeback and I am all-in :munch:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Team Left is freaking out.

Sjs00 posted:

ive haing n anyrusem

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

A drat fine piece of effortposting from Team Right, possibly the largest amount of words ever written about RPS:

CirclMastr posted:

Time for me to analyze again. Hopefully this won't be too results-oriented, but my goal here is to try to decipher the decision-making process behind their moves. So, let's look at their behavior, and discuss what's exploitative, what's counter-exploitative, and what's GTO:

Round 1: We throw rock, the expected/most likely opening. They exploit with paper, and win.
Round 2: If we had stuck with expectations, we would have moved to the throw that would have won round 1, scissors. They threw rock to exploit, but we tied.

Where does that leave them? There's no solid exploitative play to follow a tie. Arguably, they could have reverted back to a round 1 strategy. Equally arguably, they could have expected a repeat throw. Either way:
Round 3: They expect us to throw rock. They throw paper to exploit, but we tie.

What could they learn from this? That either expectations were wrong (after a tie, we cycle to the next throw), or we are adopting exploitative throws (expecting them to throw rock with the same reasoning they used to expect us to throw rock). If the former were true, they would expect us to throw scissors next (cycling to the next throw). If the latter, they would expect us to throw paper to exploit rock (if they think we put them on reverting to rock after a tie) or scissors to exploit paper (if they think we think they repeat). But game history shows they don't revert to rock on a tie, so they rule that out. The upshot:
Round 4: They expect us to exploit and throw scissors. They throw rock to counter-exploit, but we tie.

Now they may be confused. We aren't playing exploitatively. Either we went to the bog standard rock opening again, or we're counter-exploiting and they have to go one level deeper. But! Game history shows that after we tied with rock before, we went paper. Do they go by theory, or history? If they think we're exploiting, they would expect scissors to exploit history's paper. If they think we're historical, they would expect paper as before. They decide:
Round 5: They expect us to exploit and throw scissors. They throw rock, and win.

Now they have us. They've put us on exploitative play. They know we won't throw paper, the throw that would have won us the previous round, because we've moved off expected plays from round 2. Their own history from round 1 to 2 shows that they don't adhere to "winner stays" and they know we know that, so they can't reliably counter-exploit. But with paper ruled out:
Round 6: They throw rock, knowing they can do no worse than tie. They win.

At this point they actually HAVE adhered to the "winner stays" expectation. But the considerations for round 7 are almost the same as round 6. We've shown we won't make expected plays anymore. And even if we surprise them, they're up 3-0 and can take a loss. But by now they have thrown 3 rocks in a row, and they might be thinking that we don't expect a fourth. It's less certain but odds are very low that we throw paper.
Round 7: They throw rock, almost knowing they can do no worse than tie. They tie.

So round 8 comes around, they're trying to lock up the sweep, and it's the first tie in a while. So they look at what happened before. Go back to round 4, where we tied with rock. What did we do then? We threw scissors and lost to their rock. Both teams have demonstrated they won't stick to one style of play. But we've tied with rock three times now: first we cycled to paper and tied again, second we cycled to scissors and lost. We haven't had any success, only tying. Do they expect us to stick to rock this time? If anything, they ought to rule out scissors (since we lost with it) and therefore throw paper, knowing they can at worst tie against paper and at best win against rock. But they don't. They throw rock for a fifth time. Why? The only justification I can see is if they felt that by throwing rock four times in a row, it would stop us from throwing paper, since we would never expect a fifth rock in a row. That would leave rock and scissors for us to throw, and their safe throw becomes:
Round 8: They throw rock, possibly because they ruled out paper and made rock no worse than a tie. We throw rock and tie.

So we have another rock-rock tie. We've followed rock-rock ties up first with paper, then scissors, now rock. We've cycled around, and they may put us on paper for the next throw. Additionally, we have not thrown the same move three times in a row to this point. History rules out rock, expected play is paper, either way:
Round 9: They throw scissors, either to exploit an expected paper or because they rule out rock. We throw rock, and win.

There may be some more confusion at this point. But this is new territory, our first win. They don't know how we'll respond, but we haven't been on strictly expected play in a while. If we were on expected play, we would throw rock next because winner stays. If we were on exploitative play, we would throw scissors next against an expected play of paper. But neither team is playing to expectations, and both teams know it. If they can't throw paper (against the expected play of rock), and they can't counter-exploit with rock (because it requires them to think we would assume they throw the expected move), that leaves scissors. It also defies the "loser moves" expectation, as a bonus. Or maybe that's the main reason and I'm too deep into yomi in my analysis.
Round 10: They throw scissors, in order to be unexpected on some level. We throw rock, and win.

It's now 3-2, things aren't looking too good for them. Not only did we throw rock four times in a row, but we succeeded with a "winner stays" play, just like they did. Our style is clearly changing again. Maybe they think we're just aping the five-rocks pattern, maybe they think we're going to stick with "winner stays" and play standard, expected moves. But either way, it's back to basics for them. Either they were too deep into yomi or not deep enough last round; either way, it's time to exploit.
Round 11: They throw paper to exploit an expected rock. We throw scissors and win.

Where does that leave us now? We just demonstrated exploitative play, immediately after expected play. They may think we set them up for it. They may think we're completely in their heads.
So let's look at the possibilities from their point of view:
1. We play standard, "winner stays," and throw scissors again.
2. We expect them to throw rock (would have won last round) and exploit with paper.

If they think we are on either of these plans, they would throw scissors. It ties against expected play, and wins against exploitative play. If this analysis is correct, we should throw Rock.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Covski posted:

A drat fine piece of effortposting from Team Right, possibly the largest amount of words ever written about RPS:

And yet CirclMastr is trying to apply scientific methods to religious matters and this can only end in ruin :colbert:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
From a religious standpoint:

Rock is a fist, which is a gesture of violent. On the other hand, the Paper could be use for handshake or petting a dog. Although It is true that paper can also be use for a slap on the face, let us rememeber Jesus sayings: "let them slap your other cheek."

So in conclusion, your opponent who used Paper previously will use paper again, which you should reply it with scissor.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Holy poo poo this owns

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I'm on the edge of my seat!!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Holy poo poo this is the best thread on SA

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Two papers can smother and crumple into one another. Scissors can, well, scissor. But two rocks can only hit each other. Is rock the symbol of sexual frustration in RPS?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm waiting for someone to recreate this game using scenes from the RPS battle in Jojo Part 4.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I really thought the next pick of paper would win the point. After everything I never expected anyone to put their trust in Scissors ever again. You've got to admire Team Right for that gutsy play.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Either the Left regains it's faith in Rock or the Helghast finally free themselves from the ISA yoke team Right is about to win with a most humiliating scissors attack.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blind Sally is a marvel

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
What the gently caress is going on

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

nine-gear crow is pushing the envelope

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This is an outrage. It goes against the very spirit of this great game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

What a heel!

• Locked thread