Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I like this! However, wouldn't it make more sense to count the cooperation votes rather than the betray votes towards the length of the probation? After all "winning at any cost" was crow's plan all along, and if anything the cooperating players seem united by wanting his blood more than anything else :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

C!

oh wait that vote is over. Thread moves fast.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Per the extra rule it seems that the best way to spite Crow would be to all betray, so as to make him triple-lose instead of singular lose.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Ah yes, that makes sense! :)

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
This is absolute madness. RPS has become a terrifying, exhilarating contest of life and death (and probation).

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
this is a good thread

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm counting only 5 betray votes so far. :(

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Actually only 4 since Frionnel isn't actually a registered team member, I just haven't had the heart to tell him :shobon:

However, it's starting to look as if Team Right might actually go for the betrayal! Was the hand in the scary glove really evil after all??

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Crow should know not to bite the hand that feeds throws rock!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I missed all of this! Oh well I would have voted how everyone voted anyway.

I know that Crow's move pissed off a lot of people on both teams and kind of ruined the game, but he also heightened the spectacle quite a bit, so I think it evens out.

That being said, I hope lots of people vote Betray so that the villain goes to prison and we can all be satisfied that we did the just and virtuous thing and that happiness will return to all of us forever.

That is, until the next game of RPS...

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

god drat is it possible to vote the thread 5 again? I sure missed a lot when I went to bed last night (I would have voted C regardless because how often would you see an actual application of Prisoner's Dilemma in real life?)

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Fedule posted:

Per the extra rule it seems that the best way to spite Crow would be to all betray, so as to make him triple-lose instead of singular lose.

But if people cooperate, then Crow is the only person that loses.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The dilemma debate of making crow angry over longer prison term.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
Looks like Team Right's going to betray. Their hunger for victory has taken its toll on them. Victory they will have, but AT WHAT COST???

AT WHAT COST????

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
At the cost of longer prison time for crow hopefully :unsmigghh:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

By my count, Team Right is at 5 votes to 4 in favour of cooperating, with all votes in. Looking at the way things are leaning in Team Left, it seems we're looking at an ending of mutual success unless someone makes a heel turn. All it would take is a single person changing their mind though, and at this point I don't even know what I'm hoping for.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
New to the thread, but I'm after blood. Mutually assured losing!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hammurabi posted:

Looks like Team Right's going to betray. Their hunger for victory has taken its toll on them. Victory they will have, but AT WHAT COST???

AT WHAT COST????

I would have expected a person named Hammurabi to respect the strategy of "an eye for an eye".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Okay, Out Of Character Real Talk put your pitchforks down!: Covski, do you have a Discord, Skype, or email that I can contact you on? I'm going to buy you a Platinum upgrade for the forums to make amends for my super villainy and to say thank you for running one of the funnest LPs I've seen/been apart of in a long while and I just wanted to arrange things before I get sent to LP Jail. Thanks.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Okay, Out Of Character Real Talk put your pitchforks down!: Covski, do you have a Discord, Skype, or email that I can contact you on? I'm going to buy you a Platinum upgrade for the forums to make amends for my super villainy and to say thank you for running one of the funnest LPs I've seen/been apart of in a long while and I just wanted to arrange things before I get sent to LP Jail. Thanks.

Hey, man, thanks for the high praise! :) You should really not feel obliged to buy me stuff, but you can reach me at [my username] @ gmail.com if you insist on insisting! And to be fair, a clear antagonist was exactly what this let's play of rock paper scissors needed to add some drama for the climactic finale. :v:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
It's not too late for the three person dilemma~~~

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I'd just like to mention that this ending is legit awesome. I mean, crow is going to get burned at the stake, but I'd call that a worthy sacrifice.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
The fate of the Helghan Empire is still as unsettled as ever though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Let's Play Rock-Paper-Scissors: A Murder of Crow's

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I can't believe a game of rock paper scissors on the internet has turned into a tale of underdogs overcoming adversity, surprise betrayal, and a last-minute final twist of the rules. I'm going to remember this LP for years.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 13 is over. This game is over.

The final result of this game of Rock-Paper-Scissors:

BOTH TEAMS AGREE TO SHARE THE VICTORY!

With a final score of 4-4, it is a joint victory!

It's over. What an amazing ride it has been - as I've mentioned previously, I never expected that an LP of Rock-Paper-Scissors of all things would be even remotely as interesting and engaging as this, and I'm very happy that so many of you seem to have felt the same way.

Please welcome the players back to the thread! Returning players: Again, thank you for being such good sports and being so willing to put effort into explaining your reasonings and strategy for our entertainment. Be sure to read through this and your opponents' thread, it's been one hell of a ride. I hope you aren't too disappointed about the game ending like it did, but I couldn't have asked for a more fitting and dramatic ending to this battle of wits. And you are all, in truth, worthy winners!

I'll be posting a summary of the game and a bit of fun statistics in a little while, so be prepared for huge posts incoming.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Except Crow :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I was gonna post this to congratulate the winner, but I guess it's congratulations everyone now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBL4Y9OgqgQ

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A game well played by all involved. My hat is off to everyone. This was an amazing ride. I didn't set out to play the ultimate villain, but as events developed certain things just fell into place. Plus, it's fun to play the bad guy some times, not gonna lie. I think it's going to take a lot of work to top this LP, I really do.

Well done, everyone, both on Team Left, Team Right, and Team Observer. You folks were a truly wonderful audience. You made my little stunt worth it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have one last thing I need to do over in the Team Right thread...

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Except Crow :colbert:

Crow loses, of course. Forever remembered as the Betrayer of RPS.

Covski fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 2, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Covski posted:

Crow loses, of course. Forever remembered as the Betrayer of RPS.

I have an idea for this.

An evil idea...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I have an idea for this.

An evil idea...

Imagine a fist, crushing a crow, forever.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I put way too much effort into that post in the last round.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

CirclMastr posted:

I put way too much effort into that post in the last round.

No such thing when it comes to RPS friend!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
People didn't trust in Rock. Rock damned shame.

Also I made ART for team left:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Imagine a fist, crushing a crow, forever.

No, no. Its much better than that.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

:siren: Warning: Super long post incoming! :siren:

For those of you not inclined to read through both threads (though I'd recommend that you do, to get the most out of this LP), I've summarised the game round-by-round using one post per team which I felt captured the essence of their reasoning for the chosen move. Note that these posts are not necessarily the ones that were most influential or most effort-laden, but chosen merely to represent the general zeitgeist of the turn.

Round 1

Left:

MercurialOne posted:

The other team is likely to open up with rock. That's why I say Paper.
Right:

Phon posted:

I am in favor of Rock:

a) Such a move would be unexpected due to the general expectation of rock being the first move and thus an expectation on their part that rock will not be played.

b) If they are basing their move on the fact that rock is the most likely first play, paper will be considered but likely thrown out as too obvious, leaving scissors to be crushed by our powerful, unexpected rock.

Round 2

Left:

oldskool posted:

Rock
They're likely to either re-throw Rock (draw) or go to scissors (win); they aren't likely to copy our Paper, because it doesn't make sense for us to go to scissors because they don't have a reason to believe in paper.
Right:

GNU Order posted:

I think they will consider throwing paper again to be the riskiest play, so I think we are safe throwing Rock. We all know about winner stays, loser moves so even if we stabilize with a draw I think we'll come out ahead. I predict they will throw rock as well but if they try and overthink themselves they could throw scissors and we could steal a win.

Round 3

Left:

AJ_Impy posted:

I told you to go with paper last time. This round, my gut says they're going to go rock again. Paper.
Right:

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I have to dissent with that. The only move we have played so far is Rock, at this point our opponents have to be considering the possibility that we are crazies who will play Rock forever, no matter the circumstances. They would also consider that we would probably switch to scissors, for reasons outlined before and after the last round. Therefore, I believe they will throw Rock themselves, aiming to either tie us again on our Rock if we're crazies, or beat us on Scissors if we seek to change up our strategy. Thus, our move should be Paper.

Round 4

Left:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

So far Team Right's pattern is to change after ties to the thing that would have won their last match.

(yes, it's an exceedingly small sample size, shut up)

So if they follow this pattern they'll throw Scissors next so we should throw Rock.
Right:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Okay, from that round, they clearly expected us to stick with rock yet again. However, now we established that we won't pick rock all the time which makes things uncertain for them. I say that we take advantage of that and double back to rock since they won't be expecting that move.

Round 5

Left:

chitoryu12 posted:

I've decided to change my vote to Rock, and edited my post to reflect such. I have a sneaking suspicion that they're going to choose Scissors for the exact same reason we want to: trying something different. If we pick Rock, we can head them off at the pass!
Right:

Blind Sally posted:

I'm a big enough adult to admit when I'm wrong. You see, I'd begun to feel arrogant with regards to the efficacy of scissors thanks to the numerous missed opportunities we've experienced thus far in the game. To be fair, I think it's perfectly reasonable to see why I feel this way. I mean, I did get to be the "I-told-you-so" guy the last round. That, you see, that's something special. Now this time--well, this time it turns out that I was clearly in the wrong. It seems that scissors was the bad pick that round. You can see it, clear as day. The other team chose rock. This wasn't what I was expecting. Nosiree, I was certainly expecting them to overthink their move, but it turns out that it was I who was overthinking the move. I believed they would pick paper, thinking us to be weirdos who always picked rock. That wasn't the case. No. You see, they clearly chose rock. They made the right choice for the wrong reasons, though. They thought we'd make the move to scissors, offering them the opportunity to finally score a win with rock. I pushed for it. You all know I did. However, they didn't take the bait. My bad. I should've seen it coming.

However, that all aside, I think we have officially cemented our position to the other team as a bunch of weirdoes who pretty much only play rock. They saw us dabble with paper, but when it comes down to it, we're rock players at heart. Nothing else for us, but good ol'rock. It's the play Bart Simpson would make. It's the play we would make.

As such, the best move would be to do what they wouldn't expect. They've seen us play paper, but that's obviously only a ruse to confuse them. We play rock. That's what they believe. To prove my point, I have provided a handy diagram showing what I believe the other team believes:

This evidence in hand, there's only one clear option for this round: scissors

Round 6

Left:

Gridlocked posted:

Actually this seems pretty good and when you look at the record so far

Team Right
RRPRS-

When they lost the first time they doubled down on Rock again. There's a fair chance they will do it again; or go back to rock. I highly doubt paper is their play because they seem really adverse to switching off of rock (so do we though).

If we pick Paper and they go to rock we win. If we pick Paper and they go to scissors though doubling down like they did last time we won, they will win. At least with Rock we will be either on a tie or win. That seems safer than a loss or win.

I think I will change my vote back to Rock to agree with my favorite MRE eating friendo.
Right:

GNU Order posted:

gently caress them for defiantly refusing to pick scissors. Scissors is noble and Scissors is powerful

E- without trying to think more than one move ahead, they seem weirdly adverse to scissors (was it our opening rock salvo?) and considering how they reacted after our first loss this could be the time to take a win back, and force them into throwing scissors next round to tie it back up

Round 7

Left:

Torrannor posted:

They are not stupid enough to stick with the losing choice again, are they?

They probably are. Rock for the final win!
Right:

Oblivion4568238 posted:

You fools! I told you! I said right there, they would make a move we would find unthinkable, and for once I didn't vote for a losing option! So, here's my reasoning again. They just won with Rock, and they haven't played Scissors all game. One of us has already panicked and voted for Paper, but what if that's what they want? What would be more poetic than ending the game with their only play of Scissors? They've been withholding it for a reason. Thus, now is the right time for Rock.

Round 8

Left:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Let's just stay at rock. They will flinch and turn back to scissors. I mean what kind of idiot would use rock five times in a row?
Right:

Crosspeice posted:

What kinda madmen would go for Rock four times in a row? They've gotta switch, right? Surely they will.

Let's go for Rock anyway and catch them unawares.

Round 9

chitoryu12 posted:

Scissors

They're going to try and switch, thinking we're going to stick with Rock.

Right:

Oblivion4568238 posted:

True enough. Paper. No wait hang on.

We've already proven we won't go three Rocks in a row, and we're at two right now. They've just proven that they'll play Rock literally (figuratively) forever. This is their time, this is a bait to make us play Paper now. It'll go exactly as AlphaKretin there says, and the moral victory of making them play Scissors will not measure up to getting shut out in a Goddamn game of Rock Paper Scissors. They'll expect us to switch, since we haven't gone three-in-a-row before, and they'll expect that we'll expect them to keep playing Rock. So yeah, they'll play Scissors alright... and we'll snatch up a victory with Rock.

EDIT2: On the other hand, I made pretty much this exact prediction two rounds ago, when they had only just begun playing Rock forever, and it was wrong then. Maybe they really will just keep playing Rock until they lose one. I don't know anymore, but I do think our lack of going three-in-a-row in the past makes it more likely that now is the time they will change things up.

Round 10

Left:

AJ_Impy posted:

Scissors. They think we'll change back to trusty, comfortable, easy rock.
Right:

Phon posted:

I think they might go for scissors again. They've proven that they go for unexpected moves, and re-throwing scissors after it just cost them a point would be pretty unexpected.

Except I'm expecting it. Rock.

Round 11

Left:

oldskool posted:

If they go rock again paper wins us the game. They have to change from rock (which they are clearly hesitant to do) to scissors (which they are somehow even less likely to do) in order for paper to lose, and while that blows our 3-0 lead it doesn't end the game and puts it all on the final throw, which I like our odds in based on our previous logic vs. simply not betting they'd get lazy & throw four rocks in a row.
Right:

GNU Order posted:

Paper seems safest but it also seems really obvious. Now that they lost two in a row I wonder if they'll start trying to play for real again, which to me says they'll follow the chain down to paper. I say we chase them, Scissors. Old, safe me would vote paper but sometimes you gotta go for it

Round 12

Left:

Carbon dioxide posted:

Let's go with paper then.

Note that I will kill someone if after our great 3-0 advantage they manage to win. :)
Right:

Blind Sally posted:

My people...

Goons and shitposters of the Team Right thread....

For many posts, we have been a broken team: shunned, mocked, and conquered by those we sought to outsmart.

Ten years ago, I registered this account, as though I knew it would come to this. Now, I ask for your time, and though this time has not specifically been granted by you, the posters of the thread, I can nonetheless post freely thanks to our forum's overlords.

Know this: it's you, the posters of the thread, the strength in my arm, the holders of my dreams. It is you whom I rely on to bring us to our victory.

Our OP embarked on the greatest Let's Play in the history of this subforum. An LP for freedom. The Team Right Thread became that freedom. This new thread changed our bodies--affected our minds, our instincts. At first it weakened us, providing false confidence to those Team Left infidels--but in fact, we were growing stronger.

In this time that you have given me (thank you to our Mod Overlords), I have rebuilt this thread, I have rebuilt our strength, and I have rebuilt our pride.

Our enemies at home have been re-educated; we have given them new insights into our cause.

On this day, we stand united once more. On this day, those that drive to divide us will hear our voice! On this day, we shall act as one, and we shall be ignored NO MORE!

Defenders of the Team Right dream, NOW IS THE TIME TO PLAY SCISSORS!!!

Round 13

Left:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Cooperate. Five turns ago I'd've said we were the game's only true winners, but Team Right came back and made a game of it, and they deserve props for that.

We can stand united in saying "gently caress you, nine-gear crow."
Right:

Blind Sally posted:

We should cooperate. If we betray, we are no better than nine-gear crow--and we wouldn't want that. Presumably the other team feels the same way and they will also cooperate. If they betray and we cooperate, then we may lose by a point, but we'll win the greatest victory of all: the moral victory. That, and we'll know what I suspected all along: that Team Left is comprised entirely of nine-gear crows.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I was saving this video for if we won, but I suppose this is close enough.

https://twitter.com/iamjoonlee/status/808415700905787392

It's been a hell of a ride.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I have never seen a more majestic LP in my entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Gridlocked posted:

People didn't trust in Rock. Rock damned shame.

Did not even you, Gridlocked, so-called "High Priest of Rock", turn on Rock when Rock's need was greatest? Did not even you, oh "most faithful" of the Rockites, deny Rock's power?

I was consigned to this observer thread, because this is the place Rock chose for me, but I never lost faith in Rock. I always sang Rock's praises and prayed to Rock for deliverance from Scissors and knelt and kissed the smallest of pebbles that lined my way. I never strayed from the Narrow Rocky Path and I walk it still!

I consider you an apostate and no better than your Left teammates.

If we ever play RPS again, you will bow to me and acknowledge that I am the Rock Prophet. No amount of pennance will ever absolve you.

This thread has taught me that Rock Paper Scissors is a game of deep faith and utter betrayal. It is not to be taken lightly.

• Locked thread