Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Ah yes, that makes sense! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Actually only 4 since Frionnel isn't actually a registered team member, I just haven't had the heart to tell him :shobon:

However, it's starting to look as if Team Right might actually go for the betrayal! Was the hand in the scary glove really evil after all??

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

By my count, Team Right is at 5 votes to 4 in favour of cooperating, with all votes in. Looking at the way things are leaning in Team Left, it seems we're looking at an ending of mutual success unless someone makes a heel turn. All it would take is a single person changing their mind though, and at this point I don't even know what I'm hoping for.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Okay, Out Of Character Real Talk put your pitchforks down!: Covski, do you have a Discord, Skype, or email that I can contact you on? I'm going to buy you a Platinum upgrade for the forums to make amends for my super villainy and to say thank you for running one of the funnest LPs I've seen/been apart of in a long while and I just wanted to arrange things before I get sent to LP Jail. Thanks.

Hey, man, thanks for the high praise! :) You should really not feel obliged to buy me stuff, but you can reach me at [my username] @ gmail.com if you insist on insisting! And to be fair, a clear antagonist was exactly what this let's play of rock paper scissors needed to add some drama for the climactic finale. :v:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 13 is over. This game is over.

The final result of this game of Rock-Paper-Scissors:

BOTH TEAMS AGREE TO SHARE THE VICTORY!

With a final score of 4-4, it is a joint victory!

It's over. What an amazing ride it has been - as I've mentioned previously, I never expected that an LP of Rock-Paper-Scissors of all things would be even remotely as interesting and engaging as this, and I'm very happy that so many of you seem to have felt the same way.

Please welcome the players back to the thread! Returning players: Again, thank you for being such good sports and being so willing to put effort into explaining your reasonings and strategy for our entertainment. Be sure to read through this and your opponents' thread, it's been one hell of a ride. I hope you aren't too disappointed about the game ending like it did, but I couldn't have asked for a more fitting and dramatic ending to this battle of wits. And you are all, in truth, worthy winners!

I'll be posting a summary of the game and a bit of fun statistics in a little while, so be prepared for huge posts incoming.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Except Crow :colbert:

Crow loses, of course. Forever remembered as the Betrayer of RPS.

Covski fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 2, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

CirclMastr posted:

I put way too much effort into that post in the last round.

No such thing when it comes to RPS friend!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

:siren: Warning: Super long post incoming! :siren:

For those of you not inclined to read through both threads (though I'd recommend that you do, to get the most out of this LP), I've summarised the game round-by-round using one post per team which I felt captured the essence of their reasoning for the chosen move. Note that these posts are not necessarily the ones that were most influential or most effort-laden, but chosen merely to represent the general zeitgeist of the turn.

Round 1

Left:

MercurialOne posted:

The other team is likely to open up with rock. That's why I say Paper.
Right:

Phon posted:

I am in favor of Rock:

a) Such a move would be unexpected due to the general expectation of rock being the first move and thus an expectation on their part that rock will not be played.

b) If they are basing their move on the fact that rock is the most likely first play, paper will be considered but likely thrown out as too obvious, leaving scissors to be crushed by our powerful, unexpected rock.

Round 2

Left:

oldskool posted:

Rock
They're likely to either re-throw Rock (draw) or go to scissors (win); they aren't likely to copy our Paper, because it doesn't make sense for us to go to scissors because they don't have a reason to believe in paper.
Right:

GNU Order posted:

I think they will consider throwing paper again to be the riskiest play, so I think we are safe throwing Rock. We all know about winner stays, loser moves so even if we stabilize with a draw I think we'll come out ahead. I predict they will throw rock as well but if they try and overthink themselves they could throw scissors and we could steal a win.

Round 3

Left:

AJ_Impy posted:

I told you to go with paper last time. This round, my gut says they're going to go rock again. Paper.
Right:

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I have to dissent with that. The only move we have played so far is Rock, at this point our opponents have to be considering the possibility that we are crazies who will play Rock forever, no matter the circumstances. They would also consider that we would probably switch to scissors, for reasons outlined before and after the last round. Therefore, I believe they will throw Rock themselves, aiming to either tie us again on our Rock if we're crazies, or beat us on Scissors if we seek to change up our strategy. Thus, our move should be Paper.

Round 4

Left:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

So far Team Right's pattern is to change after ties to the thing that would have won their last match.

(yes, it's an exceedingly small sample size, shut up)

So if they follow this pattern they'll throw Scissors next so we should throw Rock.
Right:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Okay, from that round, they clearly expected us to stick with rock yet again. However, now we established that we won't pick rock all the time which makes things uncertain for them. I say that we take advantage of that and double back to rock since they won't be expecting that move.

Round 5

Left:

chitoryu12 posted:

I've decided to change my vote to Rock, and edited my post to reflect such. I have a sneaking suspicion that they're going to choose Scissors for the exact same reason we want to: trying something different. If we pick Rock, we can head them off at the pass!
Right:

Blind Sally posted:

I'm a big enough adult to admit when I'm wrong. You see, I'd begun to feel arrogant with regards to the efficacy of scissors thanks to the numerous missed opportunities we've experienced thus far in the game. To be fair, I think it's perfectly reasonable to see why I feel this way. I mean, I did get to be the "I-told-you-so" guy the last round. That, you see, that's something special. Now this time--well, this time it turns out that I was clearly in the wrong. It seems that scissors was the bad pick that round. You can see it, clear as day. The other team chose rock. This wasn't what I was expecting. Nosiree, I was certainly expecting them to overthink their move, but it turns out that it was I who was overthinking the move. I believed they would pick paper, thinking us to be weirdos who always picked rock. That wasn't the case. No. You see, they clearly chose rock. They made the right choice for the wrong reasons, though. They thought we'd make the move to scissors, offering them the opportunity to finally score a win with rock. I pushed for it. You all know I did. However, they didn't take the bait. My bad. I should've seen it coming.

However, that all aside, I think we have officially cemented our position to the other team as a bunch of weirdoes who pretty much only play rock. They saw us dabble with paper, but when it comes down to it, we're rock players at heart. Nothing else for us, but good ol'rock. It's the play Bart Simpson would make. It's the play we would make.

As such, the best move would be to do what they wouldn't expect. They've seen us play paper, but that's obviously only a ruse to confuse them. We play rock. That's what they believe. To prove my point, I have provided a handy diagram showing what I believe the other team believes:

This evidence in hand, there's only one clear option for this round: scissors

Round 6

Left:

Gridlocked posted:

Actually this seems pretty good and when you look at the record so far

Team Right
RRPRS-

When they lost the first time they doubled down on Rock again. There's a fair chance they will do it again; or go back to rock. I highly doubt paper is their play because they seem really adverse to switching off of rock (so do we though).

If we pick Paper and they go to rock we win. If we pick Paper and they go to scissors though doubling down like they did last time we won, they will win. At least with Rock we will be either on a tie or win. That seems safer than a loss or win.

I think I will change my vote back to Rock to agree with my favorite MRE eating friendo.
Right:

GNU Order posted:

gently caress them for defiantly refusing to pick scissors. Scissors is noble and Scissors is powerful

E- without trying to think more than one move ahead, they seem weirdly adverse to scissors (was it our opening rock salvo?) and considering how they reacted after our first loss this could be the time to take a win back, and force them into throwing scissors next round to tie it back up

Round 7

Left:

Torrannor posted:

They are not stupid enough to stick with the losing choice again, are they?

They probably are. Rock for the final win!
Right:

Oblivion4568238 posted:

You fools! I told you! I said right there, they would make a move we would find unthinkable, and for once I didn't vote for a losing option! So, here's my reasoning again. They just won with Rock, and they haven't played Scissors all game. One of us has already panicked and voted for Paper, but what if that's what they want? What would be more poetic than ending the game with their only play of Scissors? They've been withholding it for a reason. Thus, now is the right time for Rock.

Round 8

Left:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Let's just stay at rock. They will flinch and turn back to scissors. I mean what kind of idiot would use rock five times in a row?
Right:

Crosspeice posted:

What kinda madmen would go for Rock four times in a row? They've gotta switch, right? Surely they will.

Let's go for Rock anyway and catch them unawares.

Round 9

chitoryu12 posted:

Scissors

They're going to try and switch, thinking we're going to stick with Rock.

Right:

Oblivion4568238 posted:

True enough. Paper. No wait hang on.

We've already proven we won't go three Rocks in a row, and we're at two right now. They've just proven that they'll play Rock literally (figuratively) forever. This is their time, this is a bait to make us play Paper now. It'll go exactly as AlphaKretin there says, and the moral victory of making them play Scissors will not measure up to getting shut out in a Goddamn game of Rock Paper Scissors. They'll expect us to switch, since we haven't gone three-in-a-row before, and they'll expect that we'll expect them to keep playing Rock. So yeah, they'll play Scissors alright... and we'll snatch up a victory with Rock.

EDIT2: On the other hand, I made pretty much this exact prediction two rounds ago, when they had only just begun playing Rock forever, and it was wrong then. Maybe they really will just keep playing Rock until they lose one. I don't know anymore, but I do think our lack of going three-in-a-row in the past makes it more likely that now is the time they will change things up.

Round 10

Left:

AJ_Impy posted:

Scissors. They think we'll change back to trusty, comfortable, easy rock.
Right:

Phon posted:

I think they might go for scissors again. They've proven that they go for unexpected moves, and re-throwing scissors after it just cost them a point would be pretty unexpected.

Except I'm expecting it. Rock.

Round 11

Left:

oldskool posted:

If they go rock again paper wins us the game. They have to change from rock (which they are clearly hesitant to do) to scissors (which they are somehow even less likely to do) in order for paper to lose, and while that blows our 3-0 lead it doesn't end the game and puts it all on the final throw, which I like our odds in based on our previous logic vs. simply not betting they'd get lazy & throw four rocks in a row.
Right:

GNU Order posted:

Paper seems safest but it also seems really obvious. Now that they lost two in a row I wonder if they'll start trying to play for real again, which to me says they'll follow the chain down to paper. I say we chase them, Scissors. Old, safe me would vote paper but sometimes you gotta go for it

Round 12

Left:

Carbon dioxide posted:

Let's go with paper then.

Note that I will kill someone if after our great 3-0 advantage they manage to win. :)
Right:

Blind Sally posted:

My people...

Goons and shitposters of the Team Right thread....

For many posts, we have been a broken team: shunned, mocked, and conquered by those we sought to outsmart.

Ten years ago, I registered this account, as though I knew it would come to this. Now, I ask for your time, and though this time has not specifically been granted by you, the posters of the thread, I can nonetheless post freely thanks to our forum's overlords.

Know this: it's you, the posters of the thread, the strength in my arm, the holders of my dreams. It is you whom I rely on to bring us to our victory.

Our OP embarked on the greatest Let's Play in the history of this subforum. An LP for freedom. The Team Right Thread became that freedom. This new thread changed our bodies--affected our minds, our instincts. At first it weakened us, providing false confidence to those Team Left infidels--but in fact, we were growing stronger.

In this time that you have given me (thank you to our Mod Overlords), I have rebuilt this thread, I have rebuilt our strength, and I have rebuilt our pride.

Our enemies at home have been re-educated; we have given them new insights into our cause.

On this day, we stand united once more. On this day, those that drive to divide us will hear our voice! On this day, we shall act as one, and we shall be ignored NO MORE!

Defenders of the Team Right dream, NOW IS THE TIME TO PLAY SCISSORS!!!

Round 13

Left:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Cooperate. Five turns ago I'd've said we were the game's only true winners, but Team Right came back and made a game of it, and they deserve props for that.

We can stand united in saying "gently caress you, nine-gear crow."
Right:

Blind Sally posted:

We should cooperate. If we betray, we are no better than nine-gear crow--and we wouldn't want that. Presumably the other team feels the same way and they will also cooperate. If they betray and we cooperate, then we may lose by a point, but we'll win the greatest victory of all: the moral victory. That, and we'll know what I suspected all along: that Team Left is comprised entirely of nine-gear crows.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Did I hear you ask for meticulously kept individual level stats?? Of course I did!

Some fun take-aways:

• Gridlocked had the most winning moves with 6 in total. Torrannor and AlphaKretin share second place with five.
  • Sjs00, amazingly, never voted for a losing move! Brightwing, MercurialOne and Ahundredbux only did so once.
  • chitoryu12 and CirclMastr were wrong the most times :shobon:
  • Team Right was only a single vote from betraying Team Left and winning the game all on their own in the last round
  • Blind Sally's gimmick of making effort posts while only ever voting for scissors was pretty drat good
  • Out of a total of 24 RPS moves made, 13 were rock. That's around 54%, for those of you keeping track.

I'm sure you can spot many more interesting things if you look hard enough!

Covski fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 12, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

TBH, you saving the team in round 9 was one of my personal favourite moments of the game as well!

:siren: Other observers, tell the thread about your favourite moments!

The feeling I got in general was that Team Right was the more analytical side that liked to sit down with a good ol' effortpost and think things through before agreeing on a course, while Team Left were more inclined to go with their gut feeling and play the psychological game.

I'd like to imagine that getting more and more data on the opponent's patterns was the reason Right managed to make that comeback :allears:

Covski fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 2, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

I suppose I should disclose, in the interest of drama if nothing else, that I received a PM on Discord (I won't name names!) saying I should change to betray. I briefly considered it when I woke up and read it, but when I went to check the thread, it was already over.

The Rules posted:

Please keep all team communication within this thread so observers can follow along
:bahgawd:

On the other hand, I'm a bit sad I didn't get to use any of the alternate cooperation/betrayal-images:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Again, thanks for all the kind words as well as the very heartwarming avatar! :3: Honestly though the players are the real stars of this LP, I was only a beancounter.

AJ_Impy posted:

Out of interest, going by post timestamps, how many times did the consensus change a losing or drawing one to a winning one after the other thread seemed to reach a verdict?

I haven't looked at time stamps but I entered in a many of the votes into the document as they came in, and the only time there was a real last-minute upset was Oblivion's round 9 rally.

Blind Sally posted:

To commemorate our shared experience:

Amazing! :vince:

Frionnel posted:

Maaaaaaaaaan, i only found the observer thread today :(

You were always a member of Team Left in spirit! If you want to, I can easily whip up statistics for your votes as well.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

If we are discussing art from the threads, it would be a shame not to include this post which saved Team Right in their darkest hour, when morale was at an all time low:

Blind Sally posted:

I have, myself, full confidence that if all the posters in this thread do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our hand, the right hand, to ride out the storm of RPS battle, and to outlive the menace and tyranny of the left hand, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of the right hand, Team Right--every poster one of us. That is the will of the Mod Team and the subforum.

The brave posters in favour of this thread and nine-gear crow who is being a grump, linked together in this cause and in our need, will defend to the death our right hand, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of our strength.

Even though three rounds and many old and famous RPS strategies have fallen or may fall into the grip of the left hand and all the odious apparatus of Team Left, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in this thread,
we shall fight in the observer thread and the left team's thread,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the subforum, we shall defend our thread, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight in the Casual LP thread,
we shall fight on private messages,
we shall fight in the Tech Support Fort and in the Super-League thread,
we shall fight in the Sandcastle;
we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this thread or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Team beyond the subforums, armed and guarded by the right team's posters, would carry on the struggle, until, in Fedule's good time, other posters, with all their power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old by encouraging us all to play scissors.

I don't think this one has been posted here either:

Gridlocked posted:

Trust in the Rock-Emperor of Left Kind

Change your vote today!

Edit: I'm pretty sure this one was posted however, but I'll bring it up again because I like it:

Gridlocked posted:

THE ONLY WINNING MOVE

IS TO NOT PLAY

Covski fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 2, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Since activity in the thread has died down a bit, let's discuss the future of Rock-Paper-Scissors.

I've seen a few people expressing an interest both in the team threads and in here: Thing is, I'd absolutely be willing to run another game, although I honestly feel this one is going to be extremely hard to top. So this is basically an interest check: Do people want to see another game, or do we end the saga of RPS on this incredible high note?

If you are interested in seeing another game, feel free to give suggestion on the rules/format. I'm personally considering whether running shorter best-of-five games (which statistically means a game should take about a week) are a good idea. Discuss!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Everybody posted:

Good suggestions for games

All of these look very interesting, and I might very well consider making another LP in the Hand Games (and other assorted deceptively complex games) series!

Thing is, if I do another LP in the near future it's probably gonna be another game of RPS for the time being, since I've got that game figured out and I think it could have quite a bit more to give, entertainment-wise. It's something about the game being very easy to follow for a casual observer (unlike most other competitive LPs where you need a good understanding of the (often complicated) rules to be able to follow along with the reasoning and being able to see what is about to happen before the players do. Of course, another RPS game would have an official "no supervillainy allowed"-rule, to focus more on the pure game theory aspects.

That said, I'd be interesting in trying out an asymmetrical variant, such as Rock-Paper-Scissors-Well where one move is objectively stronger than the others, just to see how that would play out. It could make for a very interesting game, given that both teams this time around seemed to treat rock as the *stronger* move, despite the fact that neither ever played scissors :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Thanks for all the input and suggestions here guys! :)

Fedule posted:

Honestly I think there could be a good case for doing a classical game-theory-game megathread with continual game theory asides. Go all into the maths behind it and let people play nifty decision games.

I really like this idea as well! Currently I'm leaning towards running one more game of RPS (possibly trying out the asymmetrical rock-paper-scissors-well variant just to see how that works in practice), and then possibly expanding it into a megathread with similar games that work in the forums format if there is enough interest and other people are willing to run some of the other games. And yes, the next RPS game will have a "no supervillainy allowed" rule. :v:

New thread might go up as soon as some time this weekend, possibly.

• Locked thread