Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Gaffle posted:

Nice to see we're playing the base game, it's a classic. The Lizards and Spock expansion was a good attempt by the devs to expand the game, but ultimately it added too many unnecessary mechanics and failed to catch on. Just goes to show that there's strength in simplicity.

I've heard some people cheating assholes play with the Dynamite option enabled. Totally broken, ruined the game. True players stick with Classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Gaffle posted:

Praying both teams pick scissors this round so we could have three ties in a row using all three moves.

Would that just straight up reset strategy almost like you're starting from scratch? I feel like it would.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nobody is going to play scissors now out of fear of the ROCK

The only winning move is not to play always be paper
But that's what they want you to think! This is a long con so that you think paper is the move and bam, I drop scissors.

Covski posted:

Also, I'd like to say that I'm happy to see that so many people seem to be enjoying this LP! :) I'm as surprised as you are that this turned out half as interesting as it is, to tell you the truth.
It's oddly compelling. Very cool as an observer to watch both teams strategize.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Added Space posted:

Standard psychology would say that the failure of their desperate move would make Right leery of ever using scissors again, but they have stuck with a loser before.
Given that most people in these threads KNOW that winners are likely to repeat the move, sticking with scissors is probably the safest play actually, because Left is likely to intentionally not pick rock.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Added Space posted:

More than half the throws in this game have been rock. :psyduck: Does anyone have data on throw incidence in human-on-human games?
Good question. Here's some poo poo I found about it. Take this with the appropriate salt that you'd treat anything from Google, though this is mostly based on the World RPS championships (where they actually record numbers!), so it seems decent.
1.) Apparently among experts at the World RPS tourneys, the throw breakdown is as follows: 35.4% rock, 35.0% paper, 29.6% scissors
2.) Due to some underlying psychology about rock being BIG DICK testosterone manly, rock is disproportionately thrown by the first throw by novice men. This is apparently even more true when RPS is played spontaneously without much time to think.
3.) There's apparently no real consensus about what women are most likely to throw first. Be surprised (not really) but most RPS tournaments and studies apparently skew heavily male.
4.) Most novices are very reluctant to play the same throw three straight times*, so make your call by assuming they won't do it again.

*Though apparently Left has just said "gently caress it, we're going rock till it stops working".

A few sources:
http://worldrps.com/advanced-rps/sample-page/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11051704/How-to-always-win-at-rock-paper-scissors.html
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-blame-game/201504/the-surprising-psychology-rock-paper-scissors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I'd just like to mention that this ending is legit awesome. I mean, crow is going to get burned at the stake, but I'd call that a worthy sacrifice.

• Locked thread