Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

goatface posted:

That is still a big step down from UN Secretary-General.

I think I'd rather be a goofy looking horse-man, and I don't particularly want to be a goofy looking horse-man.

Although I wonder, is he more horse than a man, or is he more man than a horse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Kofi was kind of cool in early Power Pack when it was a straight-up Heinlein juvenile and he was their alien buddy. They didn't make him Snarf.

Edge & Christian posted:

Uh...

Power Pack was actually pretty darn popular for the first few years it was coming out? I always thought it was weird that the Powers's dad was clearly drawn to resemble Walt Simonson but the mom didn't not look like Louise, but Mom Power always had strawberry blonde/blonde hair:

I know Julie Power is named after Louise Simonson's daughter (Walt's stepdaughter), who would've been a teenager at the time the book was released.

Then again, Marvel in the '80s did a lot of self-referential humor in that same vein. For example, Henry Peter Gyrich, especially early on, is blatantly based on Jim Shooter. Byrne was doing that to gently caress with people.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

It is very sad to look back and realize every time Mike Adamle yelled out JAMAICAN ME CRAZY he may have been referring to his concussion related dementia.

Jesus Christ

Poor guy though really

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Wanderer posted:

Then again, Marvel in the '80s did a lot of self-referential humor in that same vein. For example, Henry Peter Gyrich, especially early on, is blatantly based on Jim Shooter. Byrne was doing that to gently caress with people.
I mean, Byrne hated Jim Shooter and Byrne did a whole ton of petty poo poo in his 1980s comics (including killing everyone in Pittsburgh in the New Universe because that's Shooter's home town) but... Gyrich was created *by* Jim Shooter at least in part as a rib on himself (Gyrich was a stick in the mud from Pittsburgh who imposed rules no one liked but weren't done maliciously) but he doesn't physically resemble Shooter in anyway and to my knowledge Byrne never handled the character except when he penciled a few issues of the Avengers that David Micheline wrote.

Byrne definitely drew Jim Shooter as a villain in the Legends mini-series and had him more or less kill himself via bungling a fight with Guy Gardner as he insisted he was powerful and smart though.

Also because a lot of old guard Marvel people (not all of whom hated Shooter, contrary to popular belief) there's sort of a throughline (which has been acknowledged somewhere, though I can't find it at the moment) that whenever anyone sort of pushed the throttle on "Henry Peter Gyrich, evil monster bureaucrat" someone would try to pull back and do a soft "Henry Peter Gyrich, well-meaning patriotic but grating bureaucrat" throughout the 1980s and 1990s. Of course by the 21st century there was a total enough turnover that they seem to have gone whole hog with "Henry Peter Gyrich, Nazi collaborator, Sentinel Extermination Booster, Brainwashed Killing Machine Creator."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 9: Manslaughter

Sorry, I don't have much to add on this one either as I'm not really familiar with him at all. He looks pretty goofy though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nice nipple tassel.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He looks about 14. Like he would be head boy in the superhero middle school.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Does he have buck teeth?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

That dude looks like Archie and Cletus Kasady had an annoying son.

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean, Byrne hated Jim Shooter and Byrne did a whole ton of petty poo poo in his 1980s comics (including killing everyone in Pittsburgh in the New Universe because that's Shooter's home town) but... Gyrich was created *by* Jim Shooter at least in part as a rib on himself (Gyrich was a stick in the mud from Pittsburgh who imposed rules no one liked but weren't done maliciously) but he doesn't physically resemble Shooter in anyway and to my knowledge Byrne never handled the character except when he penciled a few issues of the Avengers that David Micheline wrote.

I have an old Fantagraphics book, The X-Men Companion, Volume II, which contains a bunch of interviews with Claremont, Byrne, Terry Austin, and Louise Jones, done in the early '80s when New Mutants was still in the planning stages.

The interview with Byrne goes into how most of his characters are visually based on somebody real. Typically it's actors, but when Gyrich showed up in Uncanny #142, Byrne based him on Shooter. Also, Kitty Pryde's mother is apparently based heavily on Mary Jo Duffy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

X-O posted:

Sorry, I don't have much to add on this one either as I'm not really familiar with him at all. He looks pretty goofy though.

I see the name and the picture and I'm like awesome, I'm about to be treated to an 80's man hating SCUM manifesto stereotype.

Disappointment follows.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Man's Laughter would be a pretty good name for a pretty bad band.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Wanderer posted:

The interview with Byrne goes into how most of his characters are visually based on somebody real. Typically it's actors, but when Gyrich showed up in Uncanny #142, Byrne based him on Shooter. Also, Kitty Pryde's mother is apparently based heavily on Mary Jo Duffy.
Huh, I completely forgot that the character appeared in that issue.

Looking at this panel someone posted online I don't really see the resemblance:

But it makes a lot more sense in Uncanny X-Men #142, just a few months after Editor-in-Chief Jim Shooter screwed up their Dark Phoenix plans, to throw some shade at Shooter, as opposed to in Avengers when Shooter wasn't yet EIC and was *writing* Avengers platooning Byrne and Perez as two artists getting their first "big title" break.

Then again, I am more confused than before about who designed Gyrich initially because everything seems to say it was Shooter/Perez but Byrne appears to have drawn the character the first time he appears unnamed? Also I apparently *wrote about this exact thing five years ago*. Anyway, he actually looks kind of more like Shooter/Frankenstein in that first appearance than he does circa UXM142, but maybe Terry Austin softened it up.

As for Manslaughter, I don't remember anything specifically about him, but I picked up two of his only appearances out of quarter bins as a kid, almost solely on the basis of sweet covers:

Also because I liked FINAL ISSUES because they seemed really important back in the 1980s. Partially because this book somehow ran 152 issues! What sort of epic wrap-up must that warrant? Also Jim Shooter had a real love for closing up any loose ends and sealing up the toy box so the last issue of the Defenders features the death of almost the entire team. And what legends they were!

Valkyrie! (who to be fair was also in my dad's old Defenders comics from the 1970s)
Moondragon! (ditto, but also she was already back from the dead like three years later when I bought this comic)
Andromeda!
Gargoyle!
The Interloper!
And Manslaughter! The character who had only joined the team the issue before!

Apparently Manslaughter came back from the dead after this profile, to appear in a single issue of the 1990s CAGE mini-series in a montage of assassins.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

That dude looks like Archie and Cletus Kasady had an annoying son.

He sort of reminds me of Popsicle Pete (from whom none of us are safe).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 10: The Collector

I'm sure everyone is familiar with this guy, at least from the Guardians of the Galaxy film if nowhere else. He's one of the Elders of the Universe. One time holder of the Reality Gem he traded it to Thanos. He's had many different designs over the years, this one might be the weirdest though. Most times when The Collector shows up you won't find The Grandmaster far behind.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol he had an infinity stone but "did not understand its power"? what a chump.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lol he had an infinity stone but "did not understand its power"? what a chump.

To be fair that's like pretty much everyone who has had an infinity gem at some point

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, of the elders that had them before Thanos I think Runner, Collector, and Champion didn't understand how the gems worked at all. Gardener and Grandmaster understood them a little more.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah and then like 4/5 of the Infinity Watch were kinda whatever about it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah and then like 4/5 of the Infinity Watch were kinda whatever about it.

Moondragon made good work of the Mind Gem. Pip used the Space Gem pretty much only for teleportation. Drax ate the Power Gem because he thought it was a Jelly Bean and used it subconsciously. I don't remember Gamora using the Time Gem at all outside of her occasional visions. And Thanos was the secret member with the Reality Gem so I don't think he ever used it. So yeah really only Warlock and Moondragon used the Gems to their potential.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

Day 10: The Collector

Has various bases and starships around the known universe. Oh, and a place in Vermont of course.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there a thing with Warlock saying he trusted the watch with the gems because they wouldn't understand them enough to use them properly?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Sounds like something that prick would say.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

450lbs? What a tubster.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

X-O posted:

Drax ate the Power Gem because he thought it was a Jelly Bean

... where can I read this?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Is everyone with a cape required to lift it off to the side to show their butt?

THEY'RE NOT PIECES OF MEAT :negative:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 20, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redbackground posted:

THEY'RE NOT PIECES OF MEAT :negative:

As E&C talked about above, this version of the OHOTMU was at least intended to be used as reference guides for the characters in it. So obviously they have to show off their butts so artists know how their costume looks in the butt area.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

As E&C talked about above

PFFF reading others' posts :jerkbag:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I want to say it's in the first issue or so of the Warlock and the Infinity Watch series from the '90s. It's Big Dumb Kid Drax rather than the current Knife-Wielding Assassin Drax, however.

Now that I think about it, the movie kind of splits the difference between the two.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Warlock and the Infinity Watch #2.

redbackground posted:

Yes. Case in point.

Day 11: Karnilla

Queen of Nornheim and a one time frequent Thor character. I can't even remember the last time Karnilla showed up in a comic. Maybe that mess with Ulik after Fear Itself?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
475lbs. She must have some serious bone density.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think anyone uses her because she is more of a balder villain than a thor one, and no one gives a gently caress about balder.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is she wearing saran wrap?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

475lbs. She must have some serious bone density.

drat! Are all the Asgardians that heavy?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Yes, I think, this was back when people tried to explain Asgardian and Olympian strength and durability by saying they had incredibly dense bones, skin, and musculature.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I believe Karnilla was the one that accidentally created the Wrecker.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

Jesus Christ it's like if you put all the worst X-related designs in a blender and skimmed the scum off the top, that guy'd be the scum.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Re the Collector design above, why does Marvel rely so much on humanoid like profiles for their alien people? Outside of newer stuff like the recent runs of the Fantastic Four and Foundation, and books like Annihilation, it seems like a serial lack of imagination. It isn't Star Trek, there should be no bounds on what they could think up.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How's anybody going to do wrestling moves on each other then?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shageletic posted:

Re the Collector design above, why does Marvel rely so much on humanoid like profiles for their alien people? Outside of newer stuff like the recent runs of the Fantastic Four and Foundation, and books like Annihilation, it seems like a serial lack of imagination. It isn't Star Trek, there should be no bounds on what they could think up.

Then again, most aliens in comic books act remarkably similar to humans. These stories are typically about people, whether those people are from different boroughs of New York or different solar systems. The same motivations, same hang-ups, same vices, etc. Monsters and creatures should be more alien, but like the humanoids, if you have to spend too much time explaining what they are and how they work, it might be easier to just go with what we know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Now the TSR published Marvel Superheroes RPG had OFFICIAL Marvel Handbooks too! They didn't have all the characters in full color art of course, but let's see what it did look like, shall we?

The Chief Examiner why the hell they ported this one to a pencil and paper RPG I'll never know.

Captain Ultra with a bizarrely different power set actually.

Red Ronin as a huge giant robot fan I approve of this character. Also weird because TSR didn't have the Godzilla license so Red Ronin had nobody in the Handbook to fight.

Manslaughter This one looks mildly less stupid.

The Collector The classic look which I always thought resembled a really pissed off Granny Goodness.

Karnilla Looking a lot less sleazy in this image.

• Locked thread