Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"FASERIP" is a great RPG stat system name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
what if mysterio, but too much

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Do these old handbooks say who created the characters? I know it might break "IMMERSION" or whatever but it kinda sucks for both reader and creator if those credits were left out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They have first appearances, but that's all. Do you think Marvel cares about their creators? Don't be silly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

They have first appearances, but that's all.

Yeah, and teasing out who the creators were because of the appearance credits is tedious (especially back before the Internet) and not necessarily correct. Wolverine for instance!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lobok posted:

Yeah, and teasing out who the creators were because of the appearance credits is tedious (especially back before the Internet) and not necessarily correct. Wolverine for instance!

I've always been a bit bugged by the sort of hidebound way that some fans, in what's probably a reaction to the slipshod way in which creators used to be credited, insist on crediting the "creation" of a character to whoever wrote and drew their first appearance.

I mean, I get that in theory, but there are characters - like Wolverine, as he mentioned - that were first written and drawn by one team, but really "created" (in the sense that they were fully fleshed out into whatever would define them as a character) by a different team.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 12: Razor-Fist

Presented without further comment, because honestly what can you say?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Well, I *could* just wear big sword gauntlets that fit over my hands, but really what I need to do is amputate my hands and have swords attached! Brilliant!"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Feel real bad for whichever sidepiece is on wiping duty.

God, just imagine trying to get those boots on him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

He showed up in Toxin's series, right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kalli posted:

Feel real bad for whichever sidepiece is on wiping duty.

God, just imagine trying to get those boots on him.

When Bucky was briefly Captain America, there was a Razor Fist storyline that showed that he has a weird fetish for having people take care of him, hence why he chopped off his arms like an idiot, and he had child slaves dressing him.

Yay, comics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Re the Collector design above, why does Marvel rely so much on humanoid like profiles for their alien people? Outside of newer stuff like the recent runs of the Fantastic Four and Foundation, and books like Annihilation, it seems like a serial lack of imagination. It isn't Star Trek, there should be no bounds on what they could think up.

Marvel aliens are mostly intelligently designed by humanoids.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Shageletic posted:

Re the Collector design above, why does Marvel rely so much on humanoid like profiles for their alien people? Outside of newer stuff like the recent runs of the Fantastic Four and Foundation, and books like Annihilation, it seems like a serial lack of imagination. It isn't Star Trek, there should be no bounds on what they could think up.

A lot of these designs are from the 1980s or earlier and are heavily influenced by "Star Trek" and '60s/'70s sci-fi. The "widescreen" comics trend is still a good 15 years out.

You still get a few good non-humanoid designs now and again, like the Brood (Alien ripoffs though they are), the "Snarks" from Power Pack, or Cloud from the Defenders (who turned out to be a member of a sentient race of nebulae who just thought s/he was human for a while, IIRC), but the go-to aliens tend to be humanoids. I believe the explanation in-universe, much as it was in "Star Trek: TNG," was that the early spacefaring Kree spent a lot of time messing with Earth people's DNA.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Drawing complicated aliens is a huge pain in the rear end, drawing a purple guy with a mohawk is easy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Incredibly (or maybe not) there have been (at least) THREE Razorfists.

The first one got accidentally got shot and killed by his crimeboss in his first story arc, but then later Doctor Doom (yes, Doctor Doom) build a pair of robotic Razorfist duplicates to fight Shang-Chi.

Then the same crimeboss had two twin brothers in his employ who each lost *one* hand in a car accident, so he made them both Razorfists, but accidentally shot and killed one of the twin brothers pretty much in the same manner he killed the first Razorfist.

The surviving half of the second pair of Razorfists has appeared a lot more than I ever thought, and has been apparently murdered at least twice (by Wolverine and Elektra) but always comes back with no real explanation. He only had one razor arm (inconsistently, and sometimes he could take off his one razor arm and put a regular cyborg arm on) up until about ten years ago when Colleen Wing cut off his remaining flesh arm.

I noticed that the OHOTMUME appearance list covers the inconsistent use of one vs. two razor arms and at least one of his apparent deaths. I have no idea how much if any of this is retconning, which also speaks to people talking about the 'created by' thing. It doesn't really matter that much for a mook like Razorfist, but (for instance) it's always weird when people pull out who created Starlord, who:

1) First appeared in a single Steve Englehart/Steve Gan short story where he was supposed to be a normal Earth guy who evolved more and more powers rotating through the signs of the Planets/Zodiac until he became a fully cosmic aware Godlike being.
2) Then appeared in a series of Heinlein inspired space adventure stories by Claremont/Byrne
3) Then was revamped again as a sort of Christ figure in a two issue Moench/Sutton story
4) Then did not appear between 1981 and 2004, when Keith Giffen dredged him up to be a burn-out hardbitten jailbird in Thanos/Annihilation
5) Then his entire personality is more or less recalibrated and he's deaged and given largely an entirely new backstory to fit into the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, written by James Gunn and Nicole Perlman

So like technically, Steve Englehart and Steve Gan created the character of Starlord, even though he doesn't retain the personality, appearance, backstory, or really anything from that first story. There are lots of smaller examples of characters appearing in backgrounds or as unnamed people in shadows who then later are revealed (often by completely different creative teams) to be characters that go on to a good deal of success. It's not an excuse not to credit creators, but to use movies as an example, Keith Giffen (who actually DID draw the first appearance of Rocket Raccoon, which bears very little on the movie character) almost certainly contributed more to the content of the Guardians of the Galaxy movie than did (say) Steve Englehart, who technically created Starlord, or Arnold Drake who created the title Guardians of the Galaxy even though it was for a single story in 1969 which featured no one from the movie except Yondu, who was an orange skinned noble savage from the 30th century who was technically in the continuity of HG Wells's War of the Worlds.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I always pronounced it...

RAZZZZZZZZORFIST!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How does he maintain that physique if he can't lift?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Lots of pushups.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 13: Warstar

Here's one I had a fondness for that you don't see much. I'm not sure what it was but I always enjoyed Warstar. Perhaps it's just the simple design but I thought he looked cool as a kid. Pretty Warstar's been dead since the post Annihilation Nova series as I can't remember seeing any appearances since then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They changed Hair to Feathers for that entry, even though it's None.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Warstar had a toy in the X-Men cartoon line in the 1990s that I won at a bar trivia night recently because I was able to identify that he was in fact Warstar. He/they are still alive, they showed up in a group shot of Mighty Thor in the past month or so.

I want to know who got all cheeky and named them Beany and Cecil. Probably Claremont?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It probably had to be Claremont. The Shi'ar were largely X-Men characters for pretty much ever until Operation: Galactic Storm as far as I can remember.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Warstar had only appeared twice in Claremont X-Men (and once in a Mantlo-penned ROM annual) prior to showing up in the OHOTMUDE in 1986, which I seem to recall having the B'Nee and C'cil names, so it's either him, Mantlo or Gruenwald adding weird details into a bio I guess.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Sadly the RPG has no Warstar entry.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah I only ever remember Warstar from Galactic Storm. I feel like there was something with the art early in that series that made it unclear the little guy was up top.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
For what it's worth, yes the art makes Manslaughter look like a 14-year-old ninja on Halloween, but he was lots of fun in his first couple of appearances. Sort of a love child of Deadpool and Arcade long before Deadpool even existed, he took gigs to kill people and came up with too-clever-by-half deathtraps, nearly killing off the whole Defenders team in his debut. Unless you were looking straight at him, he was invisible to sight and telepathy, so any distractions let him vanish without a trace.

He was also somewhat batshit.

The most fun part of this Handbook project will be when we get to the Books of the Dead and see how long some of those lasted.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

"Oh God, I named myself Manslaughter"

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Oh, say it right.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Now the TSR published Marvel Superheroes RPG had OFFICIAL Marvel Handbooks too! They didn't have all the characters in full color art of course, but let's see what it did look like, shall we?

The Chief Examiner why the hell they ported this one to a pencil and paper RPG I'll never know.

This character actually makes the most sense to port to a PnP RPG to me. His powerset lets him create any kind of weird trap, dungeon, or plot railroad; there's an in-story reason for it, so the DM doesn't have to write an actual cohesive narrative; and he doesn't speak, so the DM doesn't have to bother coming up with characterization or dialogue or anything like that. It's like the perfect "lazy DM wants to throw something together at the last minute" tool.

Also, IGNORE ME!

Ponsonby Britt fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 23, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Sadly the RPG has no Warstar entry.

of course not, because then every campaign would be warstar-centric.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

X-O posted:

Number #1 Fan? Is that you?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Also, IGNORE ME!

:golfclap:
That may or may not be a ringtone of mine.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 14: One Above All

Not to be confused with Marvel's version of God that shares the same name, One Above All is the leader of Celestials. Also currently might be the only surviving Celestial after recent events in Al Ewing's Ultimates.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
One Above All is part of a 'Three for One deal' today! Nezar is a Celestial nerd and Oneg the Prober is probably on most Sheriff's Department watchlists just from his name...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This is a funny thread and I hope it keeps going.

I was reading The Marvel Encyclopedia (or one of those books) recently and one of the main things that cracked me up was the preponderance of buccaneer boots in character designs. It's like Captain America rocked them first and then after that they were almost mandatory, especially with villains.

I guess what I'm saying is post a character that has buccaneer boots for no discernible reason.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

One Above All is part of a 'Three for One deal' today! Nezar is a Celestial nerd and Oneg the Prober is probably on most Sheriff's Department watchlists just from his name...

I liked Arishem the Judge because he had the code that would destroy a planet written on his thumb and it activated whenever he gave a planet he was judging a thumbs down, because it's one of the Kirby-est of all Kirby's cosmic ideas and I think it's great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked Arishem the Judge because he had the code that would destroy a planet written on his thumb and it activated whenever he gave a planet he was judging a thumbs down, because it's one of the Kirby-est of all Kirby's cosmic ideas and I think it's great.

The Thumb Of DOOOOOOOOM

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Arishem the judge is the best because his head is a coffee cup. Marvel really needs to make a licensed coffee cup of his head.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Celestials are the best thing. Giant space gods make any story better.

I forget the details in Heroes Return, but I remember one in human form causing Man Thing to spontaneously combust in fear with just a glance.

Then there was that three parter where Thor cracks open a Celestial's shell, going buck wild, trying to save a planet from judgement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Day 14: One Above All

Not to be confused with Marvel's version of God that shares the same name, One Above All is the leader of Celestials. Also currently might be the only surviving Celestial after recent events in Al Ewing's Ultimates.

"legal status: probably inapplicable"

• Locked thread