Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Open Marriage Night posted:

The Celestials are the best thing. Giant space gods make any story better.

I forget the details in Heroes Return, but I remember one in human form causing Man Thing to spontaneously combust in fear with just a glance.

Then there was that three parter where Thor cracks open a Celestial's shell, going buck wild, trying to save a planet from judgement.
One of my favorite Celestial things is still from the original Infinity War where Arishem and T.O.A.A. show up in the big 'Cosmic Powers vs Thanos' melee and throw a bunch of planets at him (ineffectually, of course). I always enjoyed that the Celestials were this almost Lovecraftian element to the Marvel universe -- which means that the way they've been used in most modern comics vaguely irritates me but not to the point where I write letters or angry ranting blog posts or anything. I just think repeatedly using them as Cosmic Worf is sort of a waste of a really cool element of the older Marvel stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Soonmot posted:

"legal status: probably inapplicable"

I like that there's so much hypothetical poo poo there, but they just flat out state "nah he's got like normal human speed". This dude's an immeasurably mysterious and powerful god-like alien being, but we're 100% certain a bronze medal sprinter could chump him in a foot race.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

NorgLyle posted:

One of my favorite Celestial things is still from the original Infinity War where Arishem and T.O.A.A. show up in the big 'Cosmic Powers vs Thanos' melee and throw a bunch of planets at him (ineffectually, of course). I always enjoyed that the Celestials were this almost Lovecraftian element to the Marvel universe -- which means that the way they've been used in most modern comics vaguely irritates me but not to the point where I write letters or angry ranting blog posts or anything. I just think repeatedly using them as Cosmic Worf is sort of a waste of a really cool element of the older Marvel stories.

I totally agree, the less defined and understandably powerful they are they better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Open Marriage Night posted:

The Celestials are the best thing. Giant space gods make any story better.

I wish people would stop killing them and other cosmic gods off.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NorgLyle posted:

One of my favorite Celestial things is still from the original Infinity War where Arishem and T.O.A.A. show up in the big 'Cosmic Powers vs Thanos' melee and throw a bunch of planets at him (ineffectually, of course).

I just grabbed my old comics while cleaning out of my parent's attic and re-read that part just a few days ago, it's really great:

Though it reminded me that Mistress Love and Sire Hate exist and those two seem like Z-listers even compared to Lord Order and Master Chaos.

Also sad the Eternity vs Thanos fight happens offscreen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kalli posted:

Though it reminded me that Mistress Love and Sire Hate exist and those two seem like Z-listers even compared to Lord Order and Master Chaos.

Starlin can never even seem to remember whether it's Lord Order and Master Chaos or Master Order and Lord Chaos. :D (Pretty sure it's the latter, but in the page below he uses the former formulation.)

They get a really cool attack on Thanos, though:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 15: Knickknack

Current Occupation: Juggler, Mercenary

I really hope he has a business card with exactly that on it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

6'3, 154.

And then they mention twice he's short and has issues with regular sized facilities?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"death-throws"

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

6'3, 154.

And then they mention twice he's short and has issues with regular sized facilities?

Maybe they meant 5' 3". :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shaddak posted:

Maybe they meant 5' 3". :shrug:

Looks like it, the online version has that.

5'3 is still not nearly short enough that you'd need to list it as a disability though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
154 at 6'3 while shaped like that would involve subdermal balloons or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All Nicholas Grossman wanted to do was ride a rollercoaster.

Nicholas Grossman didn't give up on society, society gave up on him!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Intelligence: Genius"

Would love to hear the explanation behind that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Soonmot posted:

"legal status: probably inapplicable"

That's just begging for a She-Hulk issue.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I always wanted the Death Throws (a team of juggling based supervillains!) to have a team of pro yo-yo'ers as their archenemies.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And he's too esoteric for the RPG as well as being a giant flyweight midget genius.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

X-O posted:

The Thumb Of DOOOOOOOOM

I never knew that context before and it makes this sequence even better:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, that Marvel hasn't made a coffee mug of Arshem's head is a real drat loss.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I never knew that context before and it makes this sequence even better:

The one on the right had a pretty bitchin' Heroclix figure. Not as cool as Galactus, but cool.

It'll be interesting to see what Ewing does with the new cosmic hierarchy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 16: Air-Walker

Air Walker was a former Nova Corps member turned Herald of Galactus turned Robot. Not the kind of upward mobility one hopes for in the cosmic hierarchy. Once on Earth he used a horn to contact Galactus and those stupid Earthers thought he was the actual Archangel Gabriel. Stupid Earthers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It happens in every one, but silly phrasing things like "Weight: Unrevealed" make me laugh every time.

They're just waiting on the issue where Spidey tries to lift him and says "drat, he must be 826 pounds".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They could at least give us a ballpark estimate. Like "unliftable by normal humans, has been picked up by Spider-Man".

Edit: I did not know Firelord had a real name. And of course it would have something to do with fire.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 25, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lobok posted:

They could at least give us a ballpark estimate. Like "unliftable by normal humans, has been picked up by Spider-Man".

Edit: I did not know Firelord had a real name. And of course it would have something to do with fire.

Firelord and Air-Walker were partners in the Nova Corps prior to their time with Galactus.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Isn't that why spider-man was fighting Firelord that one time? Because the robot Air-Walker exploded near him and Firelord got mad? Or am I getting my Firelord fights confused.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't that why spider-man was fighting Firelord that one time? Because the robot Air-Walker exploded near him and Firelord got mad? Or am I getting my Firelord fights confused.

Firelord got in a fight with some construction workers after causing trouble in a pizza joint and Spider-Man intervened.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mean Silver Surfer really for shafted in the herald department. Everyone else gets an axe or a fire stick and can fly around in their own. Ol Norrin gets a surfboard he can't go anywhere without.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He can. The board just helps.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Re-reading the Firelord/Spider-Man issues and Spider-Man notices that without his stick Firelord's flying isn't as stable or balanced. So he's in the "he can fly, the stick just helps" camp as well.

Also, Surfer got the best equipment out of all the heralds. An axe or fire staff are so boring. What is this, D&D? A silver cosmic surfboard on the other hand is creative genius.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

a chrome surf board is way loving cooler than some dumb axe or fire stick

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

What if those things were also chromed?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 17: Fer-De-Lance

Here's another one I'm lost on beyond what's on the sheet. I've read all those Captain America issues listed and I vaguely remember her design but I don't know much beyond that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ah, snake dudes. aka the "ran out of ideas for captain america" villains. i think cap might have spent more issues fighting snake dudes than he has nazis, and he has a bunch of nazis in his rogue's gallery.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The serpent society is such a poo poo idea for a villain group. "Oh, we have a bunch of boring snake themed villains because snake=evil is a really simple concept. They should team up and never ever go away." They don't even have shared goals or anything, they just all had the same uninspired idea for a costume/codename.

It doesn't help that everyone gets them confused with the sons of the serpent, a more interesting yet equally overexposed villain group.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Under "Special skills and abilities" it says she speaks Spanish but she was born in Puerto Rico. Shouldn't her special skill be speaking English?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

The serpent society is such a poo poo idea for a villain group. "Oh, we have a bunch of boring snake themed villains because snake=evil is a really simple concept. They should team up and never ever go away." They don't even have shared goals or anything, they just all had the same uninspired idea for a costume/codename.

It doesn't help that everyone gets them confused with the sons of the serpent, a more interesting yet equally overexposed villain group.

Have to disagree. Them and the Wrecking Crew are always welcome jobbers when you need to make your hero look cool while setting up the main plot.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The Serpent Society's whole gimmick (as initially set up in Gruenwald's Cap) was that they were like, the original Franchise Supervillains For Hire.

The original leader Sidewinder was like a midlevel executive for Roxxon who caught wind that there were criminal enterprises being undertaken and when they were looking to contract out people to fight Iron Man he was all 'I got this', hired a couple of snake-themed dudes, used shady Roxxon stuff to give other people powers (and imposed snake-themed codenames/costumes on all of them) and formed THE SERPENT SQUAD.

The next time they showed up Sidewinder was in the middle of rebranding them as the Serpent Society and was going around giving sales pitches to people about how they'd get health benefits and collective bargaining agreements and really disrupt the supervillain for hire game. This was smack in the middle of the SCOURGE storyline where someone was murdering supervillains left and right, and also an early and important part of Gruenwald's like, ur-pitch for Captain America, that it was the 1980s and he has to stop fighting Nazis. So instead of everything being Hydra this and Unfrozen Nazi that, the Serpent Society were supposed to be like Modern Military Industrial Complex super villainy, which dovetailed directly into the whole "Captain America No More" / John Walker / The Captain / Red Skull abandons the principals of Nazism and takes extreme capitalism as his new avenue to power that ran through the first 5-6 years of GruCap.

There was even a longrunning subplot where there were various internal disputes in the Serpent Society leading to Viper (good ol' fashioned Hydra LET'S DO SOME CRIME BECAUSE I HATE HUMANITY Viper) staged a hostile takeover and her first big plan as CEO was to poison the DC water supply so that everyone (including Ronald Reagan) get turned into mindless kill-crazy snakepeople. Surprisingly, a number of people in the Serpent Society decide this is a bad idea and end up helping 'the good guys' reverse this plan.

All in all the Serpent Society were kind of a fun/different dynamic for supervillains in the 1980s. When Diamondback decided to quit and team up with Captain America, half the team was still pretty cool with her as an ex-co-worker, and they even agreed to run interference fighting crime so she and Cap could finally go on a date. Between them and Dwayne McDuffie's earnest attempts to make Thunderball, Sorta Anti-Hero Or At Least Criminal Who Would Just as Soon Not Beat Anyone Up, they forever ruined the traditional event We're All Bad Guys, Let's Team Up to Destroy Humanity concept.

All of this said, I don't remember a single loving thing about Fer-de-Lance.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

X-O posted:

Day 17: Fer-De-Lance

Here's another one I'm lost on beyond what's on the sheet. I've read all those Captain America issues listed and I vaguely remember her design but I don't know much beyond that.

Really? Her handle-o-hair isn't a distinguishing feature? Because if I saw somebody walking around with a door knocker for a hairdo, I'd call that distinguishing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is it just me or does everyone's butts look... off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Keith Pollard was just taking his cues from the Def Comedy Jams of his day, in which it was posited that white folks don't have any asses.

• Locked thread