Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, that's an easy rpg campaign right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
jesus how have i somehow NEVER encountered the Zodiac in my reading before? there's....there's so MANY of them....

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lobok posted:

Zodiac comes up quite a bit in old Shield/Fury stories. That double splash page that has been a BSS favourite for years of a shirtless Fury blasting through a wall on his jetbike has a dude (Scorpio?) wielding the Zodiac Key.
Yeah, that's Scorpio. He cropped up a bit because he's Nick Fury's brother - both he and the Key predate Zodiac, but since he isn't the leader it was probably an editorial decision after someone had already decided to do a whole zodiac themed group.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

jesus how have i somehow NEVER encountered the Zodiac in my reading before? there's....there's so MANY of them....

somewhere in a secret bunker aries cxxvi is punching virgo cxxiv in the dick

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Zodiac was all up in Amazing Spider-Man post Secret Wars.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

somewhere in a secret bunker aries cxxvi is punching virgo cxxiv in the dick

What I like is this post could probably also describe a large number of Homestuck fan work.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

What's the deal with Cancer I? Are the inexplicable crab claw hands made of razor-sharp adamantium? Do they shoot lasers? Can he talk to crabs?

If his deal is simply "guy with crab hands," I'm going to be disappointed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ecavalli posted:

What's the deal with Cancer I? Are the inexplicable crab claw hands made of razor-sharp adamantium? Do they shoot lasers? Can he talk to crabs?

If his deal is simply "guy with crab hands," I'm going to be disappointed.

I imagine you'll be disappointed.

I was going to skip today because of the double up yesterday but I might be gone all day tomorrow so might as well throw one up before bed.

Day 20: The Reavers

With Logan coming out tomorrow here's another dump of multiple characters. The Reavers. I believe at least Donald Pierce is in the movie, if not others. I wouldn't expect to see a Bonebreaker looking like this though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
punisher vs a bunch of random cyborgs who attacked him by mistake? that sounds like a pretty good time and i should look up those issues.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bonebreaker was in the awesome Punisher beat-em-up game.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

On one hand, crucified Wolverine, on the other hand, chumped out to Jubilee.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Weren't Cole, Macon, and Reese three of the surviving Hellfire Club goons who were mutilated and left for dead by Wolverine in that legendary fight in the sewers, during the classic Claremont/Byrne run? Then they were made into cyborgs and joined the Reavers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Where is the rear view? How else can I know how to draw Bonebreaker's tankbutt?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

Where is the rear view? How else can I know how to draw Bonebreaker's tankbutt?

Pretty much just a mirror of the front except there's a No Fat Chicks bumper sticker.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Weren't Cole, Macon, and Reese three of the surviving Hellfire Club goons who were mutilated and left for dead by Wolverine in that legendary fight in the sewers, during the classic Claremont/Byrne run? Then they were made into cyborgs and joined the Reavers.

Yep.

Oh god, I forgot about Elsie Die. Now there's a robot name that needs to come back.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

All I really know about the Reavers is Bonebreaker's 90's action figure, and Psylocke just tearing through them in Uncanny X-Force.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How about a cool character today?

Day 21: Doom 2099

Doom 2099 was a pretty great series in the 2099 line. In fact it was probably my favorite although a lot better stuff has been done with Spider-Man 2099 overall.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"(alleged) student" like they don't have schools in 2099.

Also I'm curious what 20th century Doom's height and weight are, since 21st century Doom in Infamous Iron Man looks quite a bit more slight than 6'2" 225.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 3, 2017

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
DOOM 2099 is loving awesome.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 3, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The end of the 2099 books was so horrible though. It seemed like no one was being paid enough to bother to draw properly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was a travesty that doom's presidency only lasted for like 30 seconds.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

it was a travesty that doom's presidency only lasted for like 30 seconds.

There was a World of 2099 special that came out that spent pages and pages going into intricate detail about Doom's presidential promises and executive orders, and it was Good Reading.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Synthbuttrange posted:

The end of the 2099 books was so horrible though. It seemed like no one was being paid enough to bother to draw properly.

The end of the line is really a load of poo poo. One Nation Under Doom is the high point of the line, no one seemed to have a good idea for what the follow-up should be. The original plans were to do a jump ahead to 2101 and move ahead from there, but things got confused thanks to Marvel's money issues at the time and the collapse of the comics industry. Then Tom DeFalco got removed as EIC and lots of the writers/artists quit in protest, so you get random people just trying to wrap up 40+ issue series with some sort of satisfactory conclusion. The art in the last few issues of Doom 2099 is staggering in how bad it is. Their brilliant idea was to just flood the earth and abruptly end all the 2099 books, cramming them into one (2099: World of Tomorrow) which was shortly cancelled. 2099: Manifest Destiny tried to undo some of the damage and put a bow on things, but it didn't really work out.

That's why I like that Peter David hasn't acknowledged any of that crap in the new Spider-Man 2099. The 2099 that Spidey returns to is one shortly before One Nation Under Doom, so everyone like Ravage, Hulk and Punisher are still alive and kicking while Doom is still plotting his eventual takeover. He also took the opportunity to rectify the identity of Green Goblin 2099 that got hosed up once he quit the title in protest of DeFalco's firing, a point he was obviously annoyed about for decades in that adorable Peter David way.

Does the Handbook have an entry for my favorite character of all, RAVAGE 2099? I'm interested because his look and powerset changed like 3 or 4 times each time a new creative team desperately tried to reboot him into something cool. He went from junkyard vigilante to guy with laser hands to future wolverine to ogre sized hulk in the span of 32 issues.

Tato fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 3, 2017

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

There's a huge hole on Unlimited of pretty much all of the original 2099 stuff, which is too bad.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Ah yes the famous villain headquarters beneath "Cooterman's Creek in North Central Australia"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Tato posted:

The end of the line is really a load of poo poo. One Nation Under Doom is the high point of the line, no one seemed to have a good idea for what the follow-up should be. The original plans were to do a jump ahead to 2101 and move ahead from there, but things got confused thanks to Marvel's money issues at the time and the collapse of the comics industry. Then Tom DeFalco got removed as EIC and lots of the writers/artists quit in protest, so you get random people just trying to wrap up 40+ issue series with some sort of satisfactory conclusion.

If I remember the story correctly, as part of the turnover, a very popular editor at Marvel who was in charge of the 2099 books got unceremoniously dismissed, and the 2099 creators all left in protest. It's why the last few issues of Spider-Man 2099 are by Ben Raab.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Joey Cavalieri was the line's editor and it was his sacking that prompted some of the creative folks to quit.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Tato posted:

The art in the last few issues of Doom 2099 is staggering in how bad it is.
It's like an off-model Saturday morning cartoon adaptation.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Wheat Loaf posted:

Joey Cavalieri was the line's editor and it was his sacking that prompted some of the creative folks to quit.

Yep. Even the guys who weren't established enough to quit felt really bad about staying after his firing. Humberto Ramos even managed to sneak in a "Joey, Forgive Us" message into X-Nation 2099 #3 that the new editors tried to cover up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tato posted:

Yep. Even the guys who weren't established enough to quit felt really bad about staying after his firing. Humberto Ramos even managed to sneak in a "Joey, Forgive Us" message into X-Nation 2099 #3 that the new editors tried to cover up

Hm. Respect to Ramos. I like that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 22: Left-Winger

A Captain America and primarily U.S. Agent enemy Left-Winger is another in a long line of pro-wrestlers turned terrorists. He also had a partner who is not featured in the Marvel Handbook. I'll give you a guess as to what his name is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looking forward to the return of Left-Winger and Right-Winger in Captain America and the Golden Mean.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 23: Trump

Criminal, Children's Television Host, and possible future President? Trump is a accomplished clown and drama student with no actual powers. I believe he has a magic wand though for his magic tricks illusions.

Other accessories: Trained pigeons, tame rabbits.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's very clearly Hal Jordan under there.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I like that AIM hold regular weapons expos. I wonder if they're fully accredited international trade fairs?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This guy's background is stage magic, should he actually look like a magician? Nah!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dude seems like the chumpiest chump to ever chump.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

well the words "unknowingly thwarted" are in there, so yeah

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Personal Weaponry: A bunch of useless bullshit

Special Weaponry: He also carries a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

One of the oldest comics in my collection is the issue of Daredevil where he fights the Trump. The Trump's big finishing move against Daredevil was a flash grenade, so he could escape while DD was blind.

Also, if I remember correctly, that book did have his origin in it: he was an ex-con who got his nickname due to winning his prison's bridge tournament.

• Locked thread