Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Don't worry, Captain Ultra got a suitably gritty revamp for the 21st Century.

I seem to remember a lot of people speculating that he was THE CAPTAIN in Nextwave but that obviously was not the case.

BUT he was part of Wonder Man's REVENGERS team in the late unlamented garbage time section of Bendis's Avengers run.

Now he's clearly on a list of "background bad guys to put in a prison scene" because he's done so in both Pleasant Hill and Civil War II: Choosing Sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well that's what usually happens when your stand-up comedian career fizzles out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 5: Red Ronin

I've seen this guy pop a few times over the years, but nobody really ever does anything with him. He was created as someone Godzilla could fight when Godzilla was under the Marvel banner. To me he looks like a Go-Bot version of Colossus.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Current occupation: Combat Instrument
Former occupation: Same

:smith:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

X-O posted:

Day 4: Captain Ultra

Very rarely have so many colors been combined in such an ugly way. This guy got superpowers accidentally when his hypnosis therapy to quit smoking went awry. It also gave him a crippling case of pyrophobia. Yes. That is what happened.

Nice of him to lift up his cape so we can ogle his rear end.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

X-O posted:

Day 5: Red Ronin

I've seen this guy pop a few times over the years, but nobody really ever does anything with him. He was created as someone Godzilla could fight when Godzilla was under the Marvel banner. To me he looks like a Go-Bot version of Colossus.

"Other Distinguishing Features"

Yo, I think that 30 meter tall super robot might be Red Ronin. Can you tell if it has design inspired by traditional Samurai armor from here?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Red Ronin positively rocks and should be used more frequently.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
I like to think atomic propulsion units means it just creates nuclear explosions to fly. This makes me want to track down the old marvel godzilla in the dollar bins now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 6: Cable

Yeah, I know he's not obscure by any stretch. In fact we probably all know more than we ever wanted to about Cable. But I'm posting this for one reason. Those shoulder pads are insane on this character sheet. The '90s, what can you do?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
powers: he has a sick metal arm, glowing eye and a bunch of guns, which means he is a mutant i guess?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Those are some pretty lovely replacement limbs if they can only be operated via-psionics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"We guess he's smarter and stronger than normal humans? He's a mutant right Oh and he can see infrared."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think Cable's powers (or origin) were properly defined for a few years after he debuted. I believe that when he made his first appearance in the X-Men cartoon, he didn't have a backstory in the comic yet, which is why you get stuff like him introducing himself to Gambit as "the wild man of Borneo".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No mention of the future in any of that either.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I loved these books and the x-men card sets they put out in the early 90's.

Who could forget characters like Kylun, or Mojo II or Widget or the Upstarts?

I remember thinking that these random characters must have stories in books I simply haven't found or read yet, why else would they be on the card next to Dazzler?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He doesn't even have thigh pouches.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

That was kind of a fun/"fun" thing about the Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe Master Edition (the looseleaf one, 1990-1993) versus OHTMU (1983-1985) or OHTMU Deluxe Edition (1985-1988).

The first two were pitched/organized/edited by Mark Gruenwald and a gang of other people who came up through fanzines and put a lot of thought and effort into them, writing entries like they were biographies of real people from an encyclopedia inside the Marvel Universe. They also were writing/editing a lot of books at the time, so that sort of mentality carried over so when a character was introduced they'd generally have things figured out, both on a character level and how they fit into the greater MU.

By 1990 when OHTMUME launched we were in the throes of just letting the Image Founders kind of write whatever they felt like and draw whatever they felt like, so you get entries like that Cable one, where the editors are kind of going "so uhhhhhhh what has actually been established about this character? He's... strong? His eye is probably cybernetic? He knows Wolverine, somehow?"

As for how goddamn goofy Cable looks as a yeoman-style action figure design, that's another interesting difference between the two. I think at least *part* of the theory behind the Master Edition was that it would actually serve as an in-house style guide for how costumes/characters are meant to look in an era of highly stylized artists. Having Keith Pollard crank out like 600 of these identikits is probably a lot more functional towards that end than the original Marvel Universe handbooks, which pulled together a pretty insane list of people to contribute more "portrait" full body shots of all of the characters.

Over the course of all of the issues from 1983-1989, they got:

1. Then-popular artists to contribute (John Byrne, Frank Miller, Michael Golden, George Perez, Walt Simonson, Johns Romita, Jim Starlin, Dave Cockrum, Howard Chaykin, BWS)
2. Older artists who had more or less broken ties with Marvel (Kirby, Ditko, Steranko, Trimpe, Murphy Anderson)
3. Up and comers/unknowns (Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee, Mike Mignola, Bill Sienkiewicz, David Mazzuchelli, Kyle Baker, Kevin Maguire, Art Adams, Evan Dorkin, Erik Larsen)
4. Even artists who rarely if ever worked/would work for Marvel (Dave Gibbons, Curt Swan, Brian Bolland, Carmine Infantino, Joe Kubert, Stan Drake, Jose-Luis Garcia-Lopez, Wayne Boring)

Which was a lot cooler than the Keith Pollard profiles but maybe less useful as an actual reference.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

X-O posted:

Day 6: Cable

Yeah, I know he's not obscure by any stretch. In fact we probably all know more than we ever wanted to about Cable. But I'm posting this for one reason. Those shoulder pads are insane on this character sheet. The '90s, what can you do?

I know Cable was popular around this time, I remember him being popular, but when you lay it all out in the open like this I have no idea what we were all thinking. He's old, he's balding, and judging from this dossier his nipples are theoretically among the most chafed in the biz?

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
If his right eye is cybernetic what's going on with his left eye? Is that just, hey longshot was cool thinking?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Archyduke posted:

I know Cable was popular around this time, I remember him being popular, but when you lay it all out in the open like this I have no idea what we were all thinking. He's old, he's balding, and judging from this dossier his nipples are theoretically among the most chafed in the biz?

The story I've heard, most frequently from Chris Sims I think, is that when Rob Liefeld sat down to create Cable he looked at the most popular characters in other books of the time: Wolverine and the Punisher. So he made a guy with more knives than the former and a bigger gun than the latter.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That era featured a whole ton of rude dudes with attitude showing up to put an end to the Claremont soap opera styles by coming in and being murdery as hell to show how awesome they were.

Instead of like the last twenty fights where the X-men would face the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants / Freedom Force and Wolverine would learn a lesson about teamwork and then someone would be de-aged or something this awesome to the max stuff would happen:

Not sure why Warpath is busting out that honorable death line, or who the giant dude yelling Shatty Don't Oh Geez! is, but hey, dude got stabbed with a double sword.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 16, 2017

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I know it's a product of the limitations of the time but the weirdest thing to me about that image is the tube pattern behind them

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

X-Force in: Trouble in the Tube Room!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's not a limitation of the time, that's Liefeld being a garbage artist.

It's better than what he someone similar would do, which is just put in a gradient.

As for "Shatty don't" guy, the rest of the males on the team were Cannonball, Rictor, and Sunspot, but that guy looks way bigger than any of them (and doesn't like nigh-invulnerable when he's blastin'). It might be Cable and the letterer put the bubble's tail going to the wrong person.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 16, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Shatty".

Yes, I know it's short for Shatterstar, but still.

"Shatty".

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Endless Mike posted:

That's not a limitation of the time, that's Liefeld being a garbage artist.

It's better than what he someone similar would do, which is just put in a gradient.

As for "Shatty don't" guy, the rest of the males on the team were Cannonball, Rictor, and Sunspot, but that guy looks way bigger than any of them (and doesn't like nigh-invulnerable when he's blastin'). It might be Cable and the letterer put the bubble's tail going to the wrong person.

But it can't be Cable because Cable told him to kill Masque so the real answer is "the 90's". Most of the team is missing in that last panel, too. That might be Domino crouching down but theres no Wolfsbane or Sunspot or anyone so maybe it was some dumb crossover.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ferrule posted:

But it can't be Cable because Cable told him to kill Masque so the real answer is "the 90's". Most of the team is missing in that last panel, too. That might be Domino crouching down but theres no Wolfsbane or Sunspot or anyone so maybe it was some dumb crossover.
You should consider reading the last bunch of words in my post before responding.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 7: Gronk

Gronk is a Tight End and two time Super Bowl Champion for the New England Patriots. A possible Inhuman clone, Gronk is known especially for his strength and durability but isn't the sharpest knife in the shed. He's also really sticky.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
His hands sure as gently caress don't look like they only have two fingers and a thumb.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 8: Kofi

Uh... you got me. Edge and Christian, maybe you have something on this one worth talking about?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Day 8: Kofi

Uh... you got me. Edge and Christian, maybe you have something on this one worth talking about?

Deviantart has always existed.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Kofi Whitemane is poorly named.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh Power Pack, yeah okay, that makes total sense.

redbackground posted:

Beats his cousin "Whitey" Whitemane.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

That's Lord Kofi Whitemane to you, oh lowly one.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That guy looks cool as hell.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Uh...

Power Pack was actually pretty darn popular for the first few years it was coming out? I always thought it was weird that the Powers's dad was clearly drawn to resemble Walt Simonson but the mom didn't not look like Louise, but Mom Power always had strawberry blonde/blonde hair:

Dad Power:

Walt: (several years after PP launched, he used to have more hair)

Mom Power:

Louise (and a younger Chris Claremont):

Other than that, I dunno. I know Kofi was a late addition to the Simonson/Brigman run of the book, and I haven't read any of it in so long... I wonder if TPTB decided it was too creepy for a bunch of little kids running around in secret with an adult Horseman Alien, and decided it would be better if they snuck off to hang out with a kid Horseman alien?

Also most of the Horseman Aliens died in Infinity, but at least their Horseman Inhumans got to appear in HIckman's FF first.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Today, Kofi is one of the world-famous, two-time world tag team champions New Day.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Today, Kofi is one of the world-famous, two-time world tag team champions New Day.
It is very sad to look back and realize every time Mike Adamle yelled out JAMAICAN ME CRAZY he may have been referring to his concussion related dementia.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

Alongside the founder of the X-Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That is still a big step down from UN Secretary-General.

• Locked thread