Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lobok posted:

Zodiac comes up quite a bit in old Shield/Fury stories. That double splash page that has been a BSS favourite for years of a shirtless Fury blasting through a wall on his jetbike has a dude (Scorpio?) wielding the Zodiac Key.
Yeah, that's Scorpio. He cropped up a bit because he's Nick Fury's brother - both he and the Key predate Zodiac, but since he isn't the leader it was probably an editorial decision after someone had already decided to do a whole zodiac themed group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

This guy seems slumming it for the High Evolutionary having already created Man-Beast, the creature with the brain of a man a million years into the future and the powers of a wolf a million years in the future as well as the knowledge of the next million years of martial arts training.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Seth is quite an old transliteration, but I have a few mid-century mythology books that use it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Orb, Mysterio, Ruby Thursday, any other sphere headed people I'm missing?
Ego.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

'Other distinguishing features: None' has never been more true.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

He's a Thor from the future that was tricked into going back in time to attack Thunderstrike so that a villain could use dual mjolnirs to power a time travel machine despite obviously only needing one mjolnir and him necessarily already having a time travel machine to pull off the scheme.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I should've just said Masterson - this was pre-Thunderstrike but post-Odinson-banishment, so at the time he was 'Thor II' with Mjolnir.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ferrule posted:

And yet that's not the same Frog-Man form the Spider-Man comics.

Edge & Christian posted:

Ahem, that's Frog-Man II, who they EXPLICITLY TELL YOU NOT TO CONFUSE WITH FROG-MAN I. THEY ASKED YOU POLITELY BUT FIRMLY RIGHT IN THE MASTER EDITION.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nah, he's correct. Frog-"killed a man jk"-man is Leap-Frog's son.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

They were skeleton-themed in that Red Skull has a skull for a face and his henchman Crossbones was bone-themed because he henched for a guy with a skull for a face. Everyone else was just a D-list villain with their own gimmick that went back to being an E-list villain once Red Skull got bored of being low-rent Cobra Commander.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I read that Doughboy introduction arc last night and I just want to say that after that image everyone gets inside Doughboy who transforms into a supersonic UFO to take them all to Zola's bio-engineered living castle where Captain America has to battle an automaton driven by Hitler's brain to prevent Zola from taking his Face Off.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

All three are based on The Heap who debuted in 1942.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Those are a lot older than ten years - Wimmer started drawing the strip in the early 2000s and his name would be on the title plate/signature. Last time it came up in the comic strip megathread the theory was the fat fetish was either fading by the time Brady wanted to retire, or it ended when he retired and passed drawing duties to Wimmer; either because no longer drawing it meant it lost its appeal for him, or because Wimmer also took over writing on Brady's behalf.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I would like to nitpick that it was not the Hate Monger, Adolf Hitler consciousness drifting between (alleged) clones, in Captain America & The Falcon #211-212 but the actual physical brain of Original Adolf Hitler.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I might be getting my stories confused, but I'm pretty sure the Hate-Monger who teamed up with Blastaar was secretly the Man-Beast, who's basically the Satan of Counter-Earth. He pretended to be Hate-Monger because he thought it was funny(the actual reason was probably just for the story to have a pointless twist).
Man-Beast seems to have spent more time being Hate Monger than Hitler did, but none of it with Blastaar. I was thinking maybe they got their wires crossed with Psycho Man who had a robot Hate Monger built, but even he doesn't get any hits. Blastaar's only friend seems to be Annihilus who hates him.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Okay, but what's your pitch for reviving Man's Laughter.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Googling says his later name was Animus and based on his powers being identical to hate monger but not requiring a hate gun, and having no backstory, it looks like he was an aborted attempt to move hate monger away from being psychic hitler. It looks like he made a handful of appearances in the early 90s but never went anywhere.

He's apparently in the handbook.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yes in that it's very much Mignola-esque, but no in that it's Kirby/Coletta from Thor #176.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's such a clusterfuck. The whole comic starts as a dystopian world ruled by the Planeteers in which Looten Plunder is a good guy who swiftly progresses from concerned citizen to garbage avenger to garbage wolverine before being, as mentioned, put on the adamantium space bus.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The Resistants very much came off in the Captain America comics as an off-brand X-Men team that were cast as the villains despite being right because Captain America was the somewhat-villain protagonist. The 'R' is very much in the vein of everyone having huge 'X's across their costumes, just less stylish. That said, the uniform you're referring to is there slightly miscoloured - it's usually more orange than yellow, and it's Peeper's usual suit outside of the Resistants rather than being a team uniform.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I remember Lucifer having a big build up in the comics and then the reveal was a guy who looked and felt like a quick sketch of Magneto, a character debuting eight issues earlier. I also remember Grotesk because he was the guy who killed Professor X the first time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I think this is some common Marvel angst since Donald Blake did the same thing with Jane Foster. Because, really, how could any woman love a man who has to use a walking stick?
Steve Rogers as well.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lamprey is Parasite.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I wouldn't really consider "fox based name and is also a black lady" an analogue, but then I didn't create Wundarr the Aquarian.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Appears to be the south-western part of Alto Rio Negro in Brazil.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

He's actually a double-reference. Note he's credited as Whizzer II - this is because The Whizzer was one of Marvel's original golden age heroes who was also the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver (until his babies were retconned into being still births so Magneto could be Quicksilver's dad because they both had similar hair). Piss yellow whizzer is a legacy character.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Michael Redstone (actual name) is Apache, and derives his powers from his contact with the ground. He died in Death of a Universe due to going into orbit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

I feel like I should know why that guy is a Party Nazi but it's escaping me atm.
Stop me if this sounds familiar, but Nomad III gets brainwashed by a long-time foe of Captain America's into believing that he has actually been a Nazi his entire life.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I always thought Tigra was originally an actual cat. I have no idea why.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I googled "Bendis Tigra" and the first result was a comicvine thread titled "Should Tigra Get a Restraining Order Against Bendis?"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I would like to imagine it's not just poor wording but that the 'Other current aliases' section really is suggesting that she also goes by Sweet Prickly Pear.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Quasar literally debuted as Marvel Boy.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's Latin for "to see".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I guess I'm between gigs right now, just making ends meet as I guess what you would call a "professional" criminal? But I was previously the warlord of Atlantis and the head of a movie studio so I think I've got some serious leadership skills to apply in the right position. Personal strengths? I'm literally superhumanly strong, ambitious, amphibious, and a long term planner. My only real weakness is perhaps that I have no weaknesses - oh, and I can't survive out of water for more than nine minutes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Is Seaweed Man the name of a city, a hero rooted to the seafloor, or just missing a comma?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Namor also ran a movie studio so I need to go back and find out if it was the same one or if they were in some kind of surface proxy war through box office receipts.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I just noticed that they give Skull-Face's origin as Mystic #6 when he's actually from Mystery Tales #6. I'll give him that he's trying to dress the part, but I think "casual skeleton" is a little more spooky.

• Locked thread