Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's with the way the hands on all the character illustrations were posed like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

He's also linked the ~THE DARKFORCE DIMENSION~ which everyone seemed to try to make A Big Thing in the 1980s, but I don't think has been referenced anywhere at all outside of I guess Mister Negative, obliquely?

It was in New Thunderbolts after Civil War - I think the Smuggler (Atlas's brother, Conrad) was trapped in the Darkforce Dimension and Zemo got him out with the moonstone.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think Cable's powers (or origin) were properly defined for a few years after he debuted. I believe that when he made his first appearance in the X-Men cartoon, he didn't have a backstory in the comic yet, which is why you get stuff like him introducing himself to Gambit as "the wild man of Borneo".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Shatty".

Yes, I know it's short for Shatterstar, but still.

"Shatty".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

That dude looks like Archie and Cletus Kasady had an annoying son.

He sort of reminds me of Popsicle Pete (from whom none of us are safe).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How does he maintain that physique if he can't lift?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

One Above All is part of a 'Three for One deal' today! Nezar is a Celestial nerd and Oneg the Prober is probably on most Sheriff's Department watchlists just from his name...

I liked Arishem the Judge because he had the code that would destroy a planet written on his thumb and it activated whenever he gave a planet he was judging a thumbs down, because it's one of the Kirby-est of all Kirby's cosmic ideas and I think it's great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kalli posted:

Though it reminded me that Mistress Love and Sire Hate exist and those two seem like Z-listers even compared to Lord Order and Master Chaos.

Starlin can never even seem to remember whether it's Lord Order and Master Chaos or Master Order and Lord Chaos. :D (Pretty sure it's the latter, but in the page below he uses the former formulation.)

They get a really cool attack on Thanos, though:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Nihilist sounds like a sweet job. Just sit around all day and do nothing. Of course, the pay is probably nothing too.

Sure, but you wouldn't care.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't J. M. DeMatteis a Quaker?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It doesn't, I'm just curious. I have a vague recollection of having read that he was somewhere but, not being familiar with his stuff outside JLI and to an extent Captain America, hadn't heard about him putting much religious imagery in his work. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On the Zodiac, I remember a) Libra seeming pretty cool in Avengers Forever; and b) them being revealed as the shadowy masterminds at the end of the first or second Geoff Johns Avengers story arc, foreshadowing a plot which would never be revisited.

Other than that, they are possibly my second-least favourite Bronze Age Marvel supervilain team after Salem's Seven, who are very possibly the worst recurring FF bad guys of all time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Joey Cavalieri was the line's editor and it was his sacking that prompted some of the creative folks to quit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looking forward to the return of Left-Winger and Right-Winger in Captain America and the Golden Mean.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Tom DeFalco created quite a few "ho-hum" villains in the early days of his Thor run.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I sort of enjoy that Loki didn't show up to menace Thor until his third appearance. His origin villains were (as mentioned above) the Stone Men from Saturn and his first non-origin villain was the Executioner: not Skurge the Executioner, but the Executioner, who was the dictator of a South American banana republic who was holding Donald Blake and Jane Foster prisoner.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

goatface posted:

I think after he was trapped the Silver Surfer started off fighting other heroes for stupid reason and Doom because Doom.

I think his first villains in his own comic were the Badoon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Alias: Henry Hawk.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NorgLyle posted:

My favorite thing about the Ani-Men has nothing to do with them. But immediately after Thunderbird's death there's a fantastically hilarious issue of X-Men where Cyclops is dealing with being a bad leader (since it was apparently his fault that Thunderbird jumped on a jet and punched it until it exploded to try and kill some guy in a vampire cape and monocle) and he's out wandering around in the woods when he has a little fit of emorage and blasts the forest with his optic beams. In doing so, for some reason, he shatters an ancient (I suppose) Native American ritual stone thing that releases an angry demon who comest to the mansion and tries to murder all the X-Men as they do. They fight him for a while and eventually defeat it and everyone just sort of goes "Huh. That was weird."

Yeah, that's the bit where Cyclops gets into a shouting match with the caption boxes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't Magus have a fro?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if Alan Davis thought Claremont or Moore was a weirder guy to collaborate with.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Day 34: Zero

If you remember Zero at all chances are it's from reading way too many X-Books in the '90s. He was basically the chauffeur for Stryfe and the Mutant Liberation Front and that's pretty much it. Oh yeah, he's also an android but I'm pretty sure when this was written that hadn't been revealed.

First thought on seeing him was that he was the big guy from the Batman Beyond version of the Royal Flush Gang.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Similar concept to Man-Thing, I think, but he first appeared in 1969, so he managed to beat both Man-Thing and Swamp-Thing by two years.

I really enjoy all those old Bronze Age Hulk stories from when Wein and Englehart and Thomas and the rest were writing them and he fought other big monster dudes like the Glob, the Bi-Beast, Qnax, Torgo, Xemnu, Zzzax, the Missing Link etc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure a bunch of guys have been responsible for crippling Professor X. It was the Shadow King at one point, wasn't it? He's a much better bad guy.

Still, Silver Age X-Men had weird villains. Does anyone remember Grotesk or Factor Three and the Mutant Master?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember how in early X-Men, Professor X was (like everyone else in the cast possibly including Bobby) secretly in love with Jean Grey and had all this internal angst over, "How could she ever love... a cripple?!" Strange times.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does Ape-X have a handbook entry? I remember her having a pretty "Silver Age DC" design.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

I like how the Jim Valentino GotG is full of crazy poo poo like a street gang inspired by the Punisher or Simon Williams, except instead of Wonder Man he's now Hollywood and has white hair and green wraparound shades.

I liked the Stark, who formed a cargo cult around a spaceship full of Iron Man armour that Tony Stark shot into space to prevent the Badoon from getting hold of it.

Valentino's greatest creation for GOTG, though:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

That's his cousin G.O.D.O.T. - Genital Organism Designed Only for Thrilling

I'm waiting for him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't Valentino also the de facto head of the business side of Image for a good long while?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe he was an engineer (built all his own tech) who also wrote articles for ornithology journals.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tato posted:

No, but Garth Ennis DID write the Marvel Knights Punisher storyline where a kid's obese mom falls on top of him and dies, forcing him to eventually eat his way through her decaying giant body. He then develops an intense fetish for it and starts murdering homeless folk in the subway so he can build a giant mountain of dead bodies to dig inside of.

Possibly the most Garth Ennis thing I have ever heard.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's this brief period in the early 80s (the one with the Molecule Man story which was pretty good) where the Avengers team is Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Yellowjacket, the Wasp... and Tigra. I think that's an odd line-up; it's basically the original team plus one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Marvel Boy was also a bad guy from a few issues of Fantastic Four in the 1970s (I'm guessing by Roy Thomas) under the name "Crusader".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite part of the "Namor buys a movie studio to make a Fantastic Four movie" (he bought it using treasure from a sunken Spanish galleon) story isn't even the "Namor buys a movie studio" part; the highlight for me is Reed Richards, the smartest man in the world, losing all the Fantastic Four's money because he made bad investments on the stock market.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I was younger, I had this reference book called 500 Comic Book Villains by a British comics historian called Mike Conroy (he also wrote one called 500 Comic Book Heroes, which I didn't read, and co-wrote one with his wife called 500 Manga Heroes and Villains, which I did read but recall not being as good).

It had short entries on most characters then these big double-page spreads for the likes of Doctor Octopus, Kingpin, the Violator from Spawn, the Dark Judges from 2000 AD and for some reason the Coda from WildC.A.T.S. (the biggest ones, like Dr Doom, Magneto, Luthor and the Joker, got four-page write-ups).

Starr Saxon was one of those double-page spreads. I cannot imagine why such a minor character would get that much written about him.

Still, that's how I know about some real weirdos, like Shrunken Bones, the Headmen, the Dung, the Forgotten Villains and Lord Weird Slough Feg.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dr Druid's real name is Dr Droom.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One story I've heard is that Simonson (or perhaps one of his successors) was instructed not only to remove Monica from the Avengers chair in favour of Captain America, but to do it in such a way that Monica was explicitly shown as being a less-capable leader than Cap and indeed was herself convinced that it would be better for him to take over. Is there any grain of truth in that story?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Curiously enough, I recall Simonson saying that he was given more freedom to use Iton Man and Thor in FF than he ever was in Avengers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Stern has possibly the second-best Spider-Man run after Lee/Ditko/Romita but he never seems to get the recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

Something that may keep the spotlight off his run (if that's even true) is that his Amazing didn't really use classic villains.

Entirely deliberate on his part according to the foreword to his omnibus et al. The only classic villain he used was the Vulture, because the Vulture was his favourite from when he was a teenager.

• Locked thread