Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GPTribefan posted:

The Kree came back a bunch in the Avengers in the next few years for REVENGE!!!! but the whole Supreme Intelligence plan didn't pay off until Busiek's run. He did that Live Kree or Die crossover which set up the whole Ru'ul thing. The Ru'ul were these weird newbies to the galactic council or whatever that pushed for earth to be a prison planet. Turns out the Ru'ul were the genetic perfections that the SI did all of this for - they literally lasted til the end of that crossover and haven't been seen since. They had weird shape-changing powers like Skrulls and were more ruthless than the old Kree, but did nothing to show that the SI avoided that whole "genetic dead end" thing.

I think that was Maximum Security; Live Kree Or Die was the set-up story for it (along with parts of Avengers Forever) which crossed over Avengers with Captain America, Iron Man and, for some reason, Quicksilver by John Ostrander. It also included Carol Danvers getting court martialled for being drunk on a mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Archyduke posted:

I remember that Quicksilver run being pretty good-- in my head that little micro-era of Marvel just after Onslaught is just, like, that, the Simonson/Ferry Warlock (although looking it up that was a bit later), the Ostrander/Ferry Heroes for Hire, and Mike Wieringo on Sensational Spider-Man. Oh and that initial run of Thunderbolts. Just a nice, clean, kind of European look.

Sure, the Heroes Return era. Everything had a cover that looked sort of like a glossy magazine for a while (e.g. all those Salvador Larocca FF books).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's interesting how the idea that stories "matter" has come to be so important. Surely it can't be a recent phenomenon, though? It's not just to do with comics; it's visible in most media that tends to have a lot of tie-ins or supplementary material.

Consider: the post-Disney Star Wars EU has done things that were widely-mocked when the pre-Disney EU did them without raising as many eyebrows, because it's all canon now, and that apparently means a great deal to people. Or the incessant arguments you used to see in which people were peculiarly fervent that AoS really mattered in the larger context of the MCU.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

But it did have at least one bright spot. As kid I happened upon the issue where Masterson Thor fights Gladiator. That was a great fight and I would still remember it years later when I came across that kind of action in DBZ.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Love the Technet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I actually don't mind that Wanda costume. She's had worse.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You could fill a DC Who's Who thread with nothing but Monster Society of Evil characters. Those guys were great. They had one guy who's possibly the only DC-related character who comes close to being as racist as Egg Fu: a Japanese samurai who's called Nippo from Nagasaki.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Real name unknown? I had the tie-in book Hulk: The Incredible Guide when I was younger and it said that Tyrannus was in fact Romulus Augustulus, the last Emperor of Rome (whose fate remains mysterious to historians) who fled to his underground kingdom after he was deposed where he discovered the fountain of youth.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

At one point in the '90s I remember something about him being some huge deal Mutant Leader of the future but I don't know what ever became of that.

I've heard it was nipped in the bud because it was too similar to the plot of Highlander (this being when Highlander movies and the TV show were still being made) and they didn't want Bill Panzer or whoever to sue them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Don't forget Cannonball had a younger sister named Husk who could rip off her flesh to have a body made of whatever she could think of in a situation. Because they were from the Midwest, see. Don't know if she ever had corn-flesh though.

Is she the one who went on to have sex with Angel in midair in front of her parents in a Chuck Austen story?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Reminds me of Roddy Radiation, the lead guitarist of the Specials.

"Rat Race" could be Radiation Roy's theme song.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's one scene in a Kurt Busiek story where Triathlon is complaining to Jarvis about how he's worried about becoming "one of those Avengers no-one's ever heard of".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Triathlon's backstory was that he was an Olympic gold medalist who was disgraced when he was revealed to be doping, and he found inner peace or whatever by joining up with Triune Understanding, which was Not Scientology.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Didn't this tie into 3D Man in Agents of ATLAS somehow? I need to re-read those books.

I believe so. I think the backstory was a little tricky, and it was made even trickier because it also tied into the big Kang Dynasty storyline that Busiek finished his time on Avengers with.

That story was something like 16 parts long. If it was published today, it would've been a big crossover story with a bunch of tie-ins. As it was, wasn't there a rule in Marvel at the time about not doing big crossovers with every title having a tie-in? I'm pretty sure that only really became the norm with House of M.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GPTribefan posted:

It was such a great story, but so bizarre in the fact that it wasn't referenced ANYWHERE else. It was a year long epic where Kang blew up the UN, took over the entire world, sent went after wave of ground troops to destroy cities and imprison dissenters, but not one other comic during the entire year acknowledge any of it.

Oh, yeah, Kang literally killed every single person in Washington D.C. in that story (except George W. Bush, who's evacuated to Lemuria) and it's not mentioned anywhere else. I believe there's one panel in one of the comics set after the world surrenders to Kang where you see Spider-Man and Wolverine hiding out from Kang's men, but that's about it. It's just Avengers other than that.

Not Busiek's best Avengers story, though - that's still Ultron Unlimited. Kang Dynasty doesn't have Thor busting through a wall after beating an entire army of killer robots and telling Kang the Avengers would have words with him.

quote:

It was pretty sweet how he tied the Triune into the whole resolution tho. The whole Thor/Firebird interaction was great too. Busiek definitely went out with a bang

There's so much going on in it. There's stuff with the Presence trying to create a new race of nuclear zombies in Siberia and stuff with an old Alpha Flight villain called the Master of the World (who is basically Vandal Savage - he's a caveman who became immortal when he was experimented on by aliens) and the Triune stuff. It's one of the few stories I can think of that would actually benefit from being a big oversized crossover event with a whole ton of tie-ins.

It's really weird how Busiek had this huge story at the end of his run, then his last issue is a fairly run-of-the-mill one-shot where the Avengers are being interviewed by Tony Stark's accountants about property damage they caused in a fight with the Elements of Doom.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Selachian posted:

Wait, Mephisto has a daughter named Mephista? Someone was feeling lazy that day.

There was Mephista in the early 90s Doctor Strange: Sorcerer Supreme series, then I think he had another daughter called Malevolence in the Jim Valentino Guardians of the Galaxy.

• Locked thread