Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lobok posted:

Yeah, and teasing out who the creators were because of the appearance credits is tedious (especially back before the Internet) and not necessarily correct. Wolverine for instance!

I've always been a bit bugged by the sort of hidebound way that some fans, in what's probably a reaction to the slipshod way in which creators used to be credited, insist on crediting the "creation" of a character to whoever wrote and drew their first appearance.

I mean, I get that in theory, but there are characters - like Wolverine, as he mentioned - that were first written and drawn by one team, but really "created" (in the sense that they were fully fleshed out into whatever would define them as a character) by a different team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hup posted:

Yeah. Doughboy is something truly incredible. And I'd never have known about him until this thread

and of COURSE Kirby created him

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Doughboy and Joyboy need to team up

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rirse posted:

Isn't this the same creator who made Karma (?) really fat and working for Cameron Hodge or some other villain?

Amahl Farouk, the Shadow King.

And for the record, I think too much is assigned to "Claremont sure has a lot of crazy fetishes" and not enough to him just tapping into the dreams and anxieties of his target audience.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Claremont did the storyline where Karma was possessed by the Shadow King and while he controlled her she got really fat. Then he did that from Excalibur.

Though really this ranks extremely low both in terms of frequency/depth of recurring fetish-y/body horror/whatever things that crop up in Claremont's X-Canon. Like barely a footnote.

It's almost like teenagers have weird things happening to their bodies.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I just finished reading a long story arc in some 70s Iron Man comics about the mysterious and apparently quite powerful Black Lama:

At some point he went around instigating super-villains (like the Yellow Claw, Mandarin, MODOK, the Mad Thinker, etc) to fight one another in a contest for a golden orb that would bring them both the power and inner clarity / peace enough to achieve their ambitions:

The story got interrupted by Mantis-related business in Southeast Asia, and then on it went --

-- all while the Black Lama apparently goes crazier and crazier in such a way that's literally contagious.

The ends up with Firebrand (improbably involved more because Tony Stark wants to date his sister than anything else, and best known now for getting killed by Scourge in the mass murder at the Bar with No Name) and Iron Man in the Black Lama's home dimension. It turns out our dimension was making Black Lama insane, and oops - because he was crazy, he didn't think "I should just go home," he thought "I should send home someone to take my place." And because the Black Lama, in his home dimension, was someone powerful, he sought someone powerful and ambitious (the above-mentioned villains).

Who was he in this other dimension?

I checked all my OHOTMUs for this guy, and nothing, but there's something slightly more official out there.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Yeah, it's important to remember that, at the time, "Captain America" was a role being filled by a juiced-up kid from Georgia who used to extra-legally bust heads as the "Super Patriot."

The Resistants weren't wrong, but they were being funded by, and had sleeper agents answering to, the Red Skull. The Red Skull loved nothing more than violent civil uprest (he also funded the ultra-right book-burning Watchdogs), and without his poisonous influence - and had Steve Rogers not been in the blue suit at the time - the whole Resistants angle would have gone entirely differently. Lifter, Peeper, and Burner (some of the red-letter Resistants) were first seen being bullied into service by Magneto; there's no reason that they couldn't have ended up as X-Men, apart from (one supposes) the radicalization funded and abetted by Red Skull to undermine America.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Batroc's Brigade :kimchi:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RandallODim posted:

What are "tongue controls"

Something like this, I imagine:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I get that MODOK's design lends itself to jokes in the irony-soaked present day, but that's a little tiresome and fatuous considering that MODOK was not only an early example of body horror but a legitimate threat in the MU. I think the last time he was taken seriously at the level at which he was originally conceived was that insane MODOK Virus storyline in Priest's "Captain America and the Falcon". Since then it's been just like ha ha surly big head guy, which is a waste.

Also his death, as listed in that Handbook entry, was hosed up by the standards of its time, and really played to the body horror aspect of MODOK:

He's just a helpless, pitiful freak here.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Since we're talking Vishanti, you should check out Cat Yronwode's super-duper exhaustive "companion to the Dr. Strange comic books." I know she's sort of a divisive figure in comics fandom, but this is extremely cool.

http://www.luckymojo.com/vishanti.html

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

It's me, I'm Marvel Boy.

Wendell! Wendell, it's Marvel. Your cousin, Marvel Boy. You know those new bracelets you've been looking for? Well, listen to this!
[holds the receiver out]
[explodes]

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mr. Fear II would later go on to become the campy and sort of bugfuck insane Machinesmith, who's one of my favorite obscuros.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

I'd never seen him before til the recent Ant-Man, and immediately read him with the voice/personality of Jim Rash as Dean Pelton. Only makes it weirder now that I've just read his backstory. Remember all that horrible poo poo the Dean did to Daredevil? And they said the crossover with Community would never work.

If you want to read his backstory in his own words, check out Captain America #368:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Cabbit posted:

poo poo's getting weirder than usual at the Venture compound.

oh my god, Machinesmith as the perpetually aggrieved Paul Lynde-ish patriarch to a household full of B-through-D-list robots

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

GPTribefan posted:

As far as the no killing thing goes - it's weird to me that they've ret-conned Cap into being pro-killing when the entire premise of his character was NO KILLING NO MATTER WHAT for the longest time. Hawkeye ended his marriage when he found out Mockingbird kinda sorta killed her rapist instead of saving him, and now he has no problem with icing people left and right.

I'm oversimplifying, but not all that much, when I say that 9/11 basically broke superhero comics in a way there wasn't any easy coming back from, if indeed anyone even wanted to.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Byrne's latent misogyny led to some of the most convoluted stories in comics. And bad fashion, for that matter (unless someone else designed that rig-out of Sue Storm's).

Man, I don't want this cool-rear end thread to turn into a Byrne derail, but this reminds me of the weird tendency we have to judge people by the Worst Things They've Done - if someone starts out lovely and grows as a person, there are always going to be people who never let them forget it, and if someone starts out great and then devolves into a crank or a weirdo or a shithead, then their past good works invariably get viewed through a poo poo-smeared lens.

Byrne was definitely going Weird Places in his life by the time he took the reins on Avengers West Coast, but his work on X-Men, FF, and (yeah, I'll say it) Alpha Flight was really good. I also really liked Sensational She-Hulk, which he was putting out around the same time as AWC and, arguably, was as fun and female-friendly a comic as you'd find at that time.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Why wouldn't he.

I presume he's thinking that because you don't get your powers until you're exposed to the Terrigen mists, a newborn clone wouldn't have had that exposure and would still be a clean slate. I guess it depends on whether the mists alter someone at a deep enough level that a DNA sample would produce a clone identical to the post-exposure self.

(USER WAS TEMPORARILY TURNED INTO A GOOSE BY SERSI* FOR THIS POST)

(*Back in Quasar #26 -- PotY)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

goatface posted:

Why didn't they just throw things at him?

Like this guy?

Ringer was actually sort of right-on for a one-off villain; I get the feeling his dialogue was specifically intended as a jab at Batman:

I like that Nighthawk eventually comes back with the "nuh-uh, you're just jealous" line, and then ends up having to admit to himself that it's pretty hollow.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

GPTribefan posted:

The best was in that late 2000s "Last Defenders" mini series where he was bound and determined to put together and lead the Initiative group of Defenders. The whole premise was he could never find the right mix and no one wanted to really work with him except out of pity, and Tony Stark was pretty much all "look, give it a rest Kyle" the entire time.

Nighthawk was always my favorite in the Defenders in the 70s because he wanted SO BADLY to make them into the Avengers but no one else gave a drat. He ran the thing out of his family ranch and spent most of his time trying to convince everyone they were legit.

Didn't he get crippled at one point and could only walk when he was Nighthawk, but he could only be Nighthawk at nighttime? That was a weird twist, then he finally died and no one cared :(

Yup! Nighthawk falls into one of my favorite themes: good intentions and trying your best sometimes aren't enough (I've gone on at length in defense of D-Man as a really good exploration of both that idea and as a criticism of fandom). The original plan was to have Nighthawk end up in prison more or less indefinitely on tax charges, again as a consequence of his sort of "hands off, who gives a poo poo" approach to the businesses and fortune he inherited.

The Defenders was just so dang good. In its entire first volume, I can't think of a bad stretch, and I don't think David Anthony Kraft really gets enough credit in general but especially for his work on Defenders; the "Who Remembers Scorpio?" storyline is one I go back and re-read a lot. Poor ol' crazy Jake Fury. He's got a great writeup in OHOTMU #17 (1987), but it's three pages, and the scans I have on this computer are drat near illegible, so here's a link.

Also, I've read various Zodiac stories probably a hundred times and I still have no loving idea what the Zodiac Key actually does or is :shrug:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'll do it, just for giggles. This is from OHOTMU 1987, though, so god only knows, he probably turned up somewhere later because lol obscure characters

The main dude that pursed Woodgod was named "Del Tremens" and Woodgod himself referred to pain as "the scream" so all I can say is that it's gorgeous, weird 70s Marvel.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Li'l homie didn't take to booze.

Scream was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

How did you get all that information on Woodgod?

I've been thinking about this wonderful sentence for a solid day

• Locked thread