Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I loved these books and the x-men card sets they put out in the early 90's.

Who could forget characters like Kylun, or Mojo II or Widget or the Upstarts?

I remember thinking that these random characters must have stories in books I simply haven't found or read yet, why else would they be on the card next to Dazzler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That era featured a whole ton of rude dudes with attitude showing up to put an end to the Claremont soap opera styles by coming in and being murdery as hell to show how awesome they were.

Instead of like the last twenty fights where the X-men would face the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants / Freedom Force and Wolverine would learn a lesson about teamwork and then someone would be de-aged or something this awesome to the max stuff would happen:

Not sure why Warpath is busting out that honorable death line, or who the giant dude yelling Shatty Don't Oh Geez! is, but hey, dude got stabbed with a double sword.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 16, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh Power Pack, yeah okay, that makes total sense.

redbackground posted:

Kofi Whitemane is poorly named.

Beats his cousin "Whitey" Whitemane.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

X-O posted:

Day 9: Manslaughter

Sorry, I don't have much to add on this one either as I'm not really familiar with him at all. He looks pretty goofy though.

I see the name and the picture and I'm like awesome, I'm about to be treated to an 80's man hating SCUM manifesto stereotype.

Disappointment follows.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Feel real bad for whichever sidepiece is on wiping duty.

God, just imagine trying to get those boots on him.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NorgLyle posted:

One of my favorite Celestial things is still from the original Infinity War where Arishem and T.O.A.A. show up in the big 'Cosmic Powers vs Thanos' melee and throw a bunch of planets at him (ineffectually, of course).

I just grabbed my old comics while cleaning out of my parent's attic and re-read that part just a few days ago, it's really great:

Though it reminded me that Mistress Love and Sire Hate exist and those two seem like Z-listers even compared to Lord Order and Master Chaos.

Also sad the Eternity vs Thanos fight happens offscreen.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

On one hand, crucified Wolverine, on the other hand, chumped out to Jubilee.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Weren't Cole, Macon, and Reese three of the surviving Hellfire Club goons who were mutilated and left for dead by Wolverine in that legendary fight in the sewers, during the classic Claremont/Byrne run? Then they were made into cyborgs and joined the Reavers.

Yep.

Oh god, I forgot about Elsie Die. Now there's a robot name that needs to come back.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Personal Weaponry: A bunch of useless bullshit

Special Weaponry: He also carries a gun.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

What if Sandman was a chick

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, he's just doing a PG-rated spin on body horror, which has been a big part of Marvel since the jump. Ben Grimm is basically a Kafka character.

Claremont gets a lot of poo poo because he's probably the most visible creator of the period, but let's face it: many of the best comics in the period surrounding his heyday were all just about as weird, especially if we're also talking about indies and early Vertigo. Howard Chaykin is almost as bad as Claremont when it comes to writing a barely-concealed version of his rich inner landscape, but he doesn't have Claremont's profile.

Come to think of it, there was actually a fair amount of body horror in Technet. Aside from Joyboy, you also had...

Chinadoll shrank living things and turned them into wearable charms.
Bodybag paralyzed and stored people by eating them.
Waxworks' touch made people not have skeletal structures

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

At one point around the start of New Mutants he was taken over by a Brood, killed and then the Starjammers built him a new body and then he could walk for awhile but would randomly fall over screaming in pain.

I forget what put him back him in the chair that time.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Is that Black Widow on the right and what on earth is going on with her anatomy and pose.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wait a second, look at Hawkeye's right leg and Thor's left leg.

I thought Thor was floating sideways like he was angrily smashing from a fainting couch until I noticed his right leg.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

...brain transplanted into the body of Nighthawk II, then mind transformed by Doctor Strange into the body of fawn, then mind transferred into artificial brain of monster body described above; became insane.

You don't say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

... spent uranium doesn't count as "more exotic contents"?

• Locked thread