Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Synthbuttrange posted:

The end of the 2099 books was so horrible though. It seemed like no one was being paid enough to bother to draw properly.

The end of the line is really a load of poo poo. One Nation Under Doom is the high point of the line, no one seemed to have a good idea for what the follow-up should be. The original plans were to do a jump ahead to 2101 and move ahead from there, but things got confused thanks to Marvel's money issues at the time and the collapse of the comics industry. Then Tom DeFalco got removed as EIC and lots of the writers/artists quit in protest, so you get random people just trying to wrap up 40+ issue series with some sort of satisfactory conclusion. The art in the last few issues of Doom 2099 is staggering in how bad it is. Their brilliant idea was to just flood the earth and abruptly end all the 2099 books, cramming them into one (2099: World of Tomorrow) which was shortly cancelled. 2099: Manifest Destiny tried to undo some of the damage and put a bow on things, but it didn't really work out.

That's why I like that Peter David hasn't acknowledged any of that crap in the new Spider-Man 2099. The 2099 that Spidey returns to is one shortly before One Nation Under Doom, so everyone like Ravage, Hulk and Punisher are still alive and kicking while Doom is still plotting his eventual takeover. He also took the opportunity to rectify the identity of Green Goblin 2099 that got hosed up once he quit the title in protest of DeFalco's firing, a point he was obviously annoyed about for decades in that adorable Peter David way.

Does the Handbook have an entry for my favorite character of all, RAVAGE 2099? I'm interested because his look and powerset changed like 3 or 4 times each time a new creative team desperately tried to reboot him into something cool. He went from junkyard vigilante to guy with laser hands to future wolverine to ogre sized hulk in the span of 32 issues.

Tato fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

Joey Cavalieri was the line's editor and it was his sacking that prompted some of the creative folks to quit.

Yep. Even the guys who weren't established enough to quit felt really bad about staying after his firing. Humberto Ramos even managed to sneak in a "Joey, Forgive Us" message into X-Nation 2099 #3 that the new editors tried to cover up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I enjoyed the random issues of Sleepwalker I picked up, it's a bizarre concept and a neat character design. But man, it's hard to come strong out of the gate when 8-Ball is your first villain. The crew of other "balls" is just plain awesome though

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Props to Thunderstrike for being around long enough and during a sweet spot that got him featured in a video game, Avengers Galactic Storm for arcade. Also props for the sweet pony tail and lavender/silver #1 issue that got me to buy it as a kid.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I was always intrigued by the "new" Hate Monger in the Marvel Universe trading cards. That guy seemed to have psychic powers from the card back. Did the new version stick around long?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Punisher 2099 is a hilarious series. Pat Mills wrote a lot of it and it just reads like him jacking Dredd up to 11 and taking the piss out of this insane murder-man.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Ravage 2099 is indeed terrible. He's also the reason I first started reading and continue to read comic books. Where I grew up as a kid we didn't have any comic stores handy, I just got comics from the grocery store and gas station. I first started reading around the time the X-Men animated series started on FOX and Ravage was the first title I was able to reliably find copies of (since no one else was buying it) and able to keep finding copies of up until issue 20 or so. I know it's a terrible comic now, but at the time I was just excited to be able to start a series at #1 and get in on the ground floor of something and keep following it. The concept of Ravage literally changed every 7 issues are they desperately tried to turn him into something people would care about. He starts as a rich dude industrialist, becomes a junkyard trash talkin' vigilante, gets laser shooting hands a few issues later, then mutates further into future Wolverine who can change back and forth between rich dude and beast man at will, then further mutates into a gigantic hulk like beast even more grotesquely proportioned than Strong Guy.

Years later once comic stores were in greater supply around me, I caught up and bought the back end of Ravage that I had missed out on. The last issue is, as stated, somewhat hilarious in how swiftly and easily Doom 2099 just straight up punks Ravage and all his allies, freezes Hellrock in liquid adamantium (because it's a health hazard), and takes off again. According to that World of Doom special, the original ending they had in mind was for Doom 2099 to open a portal to the mythical "land of the beasts" Ravage had been searching for and allow all his Hellrock mutants to go live in peace there and give the book a happy ending. Apparently at some point in the process they decided "gently caress that" and changed the ending to let Doom 2099 just straight up kill the guy who had previously helped him and lasted 33 issues. The 2099 books didn't have a lot of sympathy for their characters towards the end and Punisher 2099 got a similarly quick and brutal death shortly thereafter.

Peter David has resurrected all these guys for the recent Spidey 2099 run though, so if you are one of the only 5 people on the planet like me with nostalgia for Ravage 2099 and Ghost Rider 2099, they've shown up in that book.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I had that Web of Spider-Man annual with Slug on the cover as a kid and he literally puts a random thug underneath his fat folds and smothers him to death in it. hosed me up as a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

No, but Garth Ennis DID write the Marvel Knights Punisher storyline where a kid's obese mom falls on top of him and dies, forcing him to eventually eat his way through her decaying giant body. He then develops an intense fetish for it and starts murdering homeless folk in the subway so he can build a giant mountain of dead bodies to dig inside of.

I don't know what else to say besides "Garth Ennis"

Tato fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 14, 2017

• Locked thread