Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Open Marriage Night posted:

The Celestials are the best thing. Giant space gods make any story better.

I forget the details in Heroes Return, but I remember one in human form causing Man Thing to spontaneously combust in fear with just a glance.

Then there was that three parter where Thor cracks open a Celestial's shell, going buck wild, trying to save a planet from judgement.
One of my favorite Celestial things is still from the original Infinity War where Arishem and T.O.A.A. show up in the big 'Cosmic Powers vs Thanos' melee and throw a bunch of planets at him (ineffectually, of course). I always enjoyed that the Celestials were this almost Lovecraftian element to the Marvel universe -- which means that the way they've been used in most modern comics vaguely irritates me but not to the point where I write letters or angry ranting blog posts or anything. I just think repeatedly using them as Cosmic Worf is sort of a waste of a really cool element of the older Marvel stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I remember this whole storyline and how weird I thought it was at the time, since I was a big mythology nerd as a kid, that the Marvel version of Set was named Seth for some reason.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

My favorite thing about the Ani-Men has nothing to do with them. But immediately after Thunderbird's death there's a fantastically hilarious issue of X-Men where Cyclops is dealing with being a bad leader (since it was apparently his fault that Thunderbird jumped on a jet and punched it until it exploded to try and kill some guy in a vampire cape and monocle) and he's out wandering around in the woods when he has a little fit of emorage and blasts the forest with his optic beams. In doing so, for some reason, he shatters an ancient (I suppose) Native American ritual stone thing that releases an angry demon who comest to the mansion and tries to murder all the X-Men as they do. They fight him for a while and eventually defeat it and everyone just sort of goes "Huh. That was weird."

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

So the weirdest part about this entry is that Redstone didn't die at the end of the Squadron mini. I mean, he had basically no actual character or impact in the series so I don't care that much but it's weird that they randomly decided he was dead (the dude has no actual name, for example). Also it's possible he was supposed to be Native American which is kind of terrible.

(I'm only guessing that based on him being colored funny in the original printings and combining that with the horrifying truth about Asp from the Serpent Squad that was revealed to me in another one of the threads here.)

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I'm one of the people who really enjoyed the brief early 90s push for Wonder Man.

It has always confused me that people don't do more with him but at this point he's been dead and resurrected so many times that I'm not even sure what his deal is. Did he ever get over his random pacifism from the beginning of Uncanny Avengers?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I'm sad that the Supreme Power versions never got to be in a Handbook.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

The very beginnings of the book were pretty good and fun. It's just a shame that JMS went crazy or whatever.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Ever since I first saw him in some book I've been curious about how the Slug came to exist. Marvel already had Kingpin, the original Stay Puft Crime Boss and they also had the Blob whose power is literally superfat. What possessed them to say 'You know what? We need one more enormous fat dude but I feel like we should rastafy him by about 10 percent or so."

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Tigra was also on the staff of Avengers Academy and, at the time, had some vague thing going on with Hank Pym. She wasn't very good in the book but at least she wasn't any more crazily sexualized than usual.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I always think of that Simpson's bit where Bart is explaining to Lisa about the short-lived 'Itchy and Scratchy and Friends' show when I run into characters like Sabra or Shamrock or whoever.

'Well the book was called the Contest of Champions so... they needed some champions.'

I would totally buy a book where Sabra battled Klu Klux Clam.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

The completely random and dumb thing that I remember about Operation Galactic Storm was the fight scene between some of the Avengers and the Kree... I don't remember what they were even called. The Shiar obviously have their Imperial Guard of (depending on your perspective) kind of hilarious Legion of Superheroes knock offs but the Kree never had anything like that -- they had the Accusers who were boring and like the Sentry robots who were even more boring. Someone during the course of writing that mess of a story decided that they needed a Winter Guard style team of 'Hey We Have Superheroes Too, See' Crossover fodder and so they introduced a very 90s collection of assorted superpowered Kree. One of them introduced himself as a 'Kree Eternal' which doesn't really make any kind of sense even in the extremely stretchable Marvel continuity.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

I know why there are two Captain Americas, but did they both need to bring a Rick Jones?
It took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about but only because I sadly recognize the 'Rick Jones' standing directly behind US Agent as Hercules in one of his always awful makeover attempts.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

Lab equipment and chainsaws.

That is, no kidding, the best version of Hank Pym by a country mile.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Rirse posted:

Reminds me of that one lame villain who has puppets for hands who somehow is tied with driving Scarlet Witch crazy.
Master Pandemonium doesn't always have puppets for hands. Usually he has a five pointed star shaped hole in his chest where (if I remember right) his soul was pulled out but during that story in West Coast Avengers, 2/5 of his star was filled in with the souls of Scarlet Witch's fake kids who then became his hands because everything about this sentence makes perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they weren't fake when he stole their souls
I think they were, actually. The entire central thrust to the story was a part of John Byrne's weird tantrum over the Vision leading to his emotionless ghost look for a few years and making the kids figments of her imagination created by some doofy magic spell was part of the whole thing.

• Locked thread