Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Surprisingly, a number of people in the Serpent Society decide this is a bad idea and end up helping 'the good guys' reverse this plan.

All in all the Serpent Society were kind of a fun/different dynamic for supervillains in the 1980s. When Diamondback decided to quit and team up with Captain America, half the team was still pretty cool with her as an ex-co-worker, and they even agreed to run interference fighting crime so she and Cap could finally go on a date. Between them and Dwayne McDuffie's earnest attempts to make Thunderball, Sorta Anti-Hero Or At Least Criminal Who Would Just as Soon Not Beat Anyone Up, they forever ruined the traditional event We're All Bad Guys, Let's Team Up to Destroy Humanity concept.

I haven't read any of Gruenwald's Cap, but I am a complete sucker for working class bad guys being "not such bad guys," and teaming up with the heroes against true threats and actual evil villains. Was Thunderball's kinda-sorta face turn in this run as well, or elsewhere? Because as written by Bendis in New Avengers, they were always generic goons.

EDIT: I didn't see Wanderer's post above when I was writing this. Was Damage Control the only place? I tried reading the TPB, but couldn't get past the art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Also Damage Control is loving awesome, it was literally the first thing that I bought as a kid that made me start deliberately following writers and while the art can be off-putting (especially the Kyle Baker issues when he was in one of his 'let's try a new art style' phases) it's another really fun/clever explorations of how to tell different types of stories inside a superhero shell that along with Gruenwald's stuff is like the secret foundation of modern comics nearly as much as the Miller/Moore axis.

I didn't make it that far. I think it started out with art by Ernie Colon, and it reminded me of the terrible political cartoons in the newspaper. I LOVE Kyle Baker, though! The Shadow, Justice Inc., and especially his own graphic novels: Why I Hate Saturn, Cowboy Wally Show, You Are Here, I Die At Midnight. His style has gone through a lot of changes, but those four in particular are GOOD comics.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Weren't Cole, Macon, and Reese three of the surviving Hellfire Club goons who were mutilated and left for dead by Wolverine in that legendary fight in the sewers, during the classic Claremont/Byrne run? Then they were made into cyborgs and joined the Reavers.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

Doughboy and Joyboy need to team up

CLAREMONT!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Kitty Pryde used to have to hold her breath to stay intangible, giving her a time limit on the ability because otherwise it would be really, really overpowered. That sort of idea that no one can be too powerful has faded away in the last 20+ years.
I didn't know that, but The Hood had to hold his breath in order to stay invisible and intangible.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

hup posted:

If she was a Squadron Supreme character, was she an analogue for anyone from DC?

Vixen, from Justice League Detroit.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
There was also that really unpleasant Bendis story in New Avengers with the Hood viciously beating and brutalizing Tigra and videotaping it, to show off to the other supervillains in his employ. I think he even came back to beat the poo poo out of her a second time, and threatened her mother, too. She was reduced to tears, on the floor, begging and pleading for her life, and the whole thing had a really nasty, rapey tone to it. I know it was supposed to showcase the Hood as a legitimate threat, but it didn't seem like the Bendis I had come to really enjoy at that point.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

What he did to Matt's wife was fucken cold.

Mr. Fear's master plan was one of the most hosed-up, twisted, hopelessness-inducing things I've ever read in a mainstream superhero comic. Leave it to Brubaker to really twist the knife into Daredevil AND the readers.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

I'd never seen him before til the recent Ant-Man, and immediately read him with the voice/personality of Jim Rash as Dean Pelton. Only makes it weirder now that I've just read his backstory. Remember all that horrible poo poo the Dean did to Daredevil? And they said the crossover with Community would never work.

Mr. Fear III, Larry Cranston, was the one who ruined Daredevil's life. II became Machinesmith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

hup posted:

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Also, I can't believe I'm the first one to bring up Radiation Roy from that DC page. How have I never heard of Radiation Roy?!

Me neither, and I even read Who's Who countless times as a kid.

Reminds me of Roddy Radiation, the lead guitarist of the Specials.

• Locked thread