Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Endless Mike posted:

It's me, I'm Marvel Boy.

I enjoyed how Marvel Boy's multiple origins/appearances got streamlined and explained in Agents of Atlas, where that character is The Uranian/Bob now (idc what current Marvel is doing, Atlas will always be an active team to me dammit).

Any entries on characters like Gorilla Man or the Human Robot in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Regarding Mantis and "this one," I think that's meant to be a Western interpretation of how Chinese nobles spoke in the late 1800's ala Thomas Burke's Quong Lee character (I think, or at least other examples of Burke's work). "This one" is meant to be excessively polite and selfless, so I could see Englehart reaching for that.

I never realized how strongly Engelhart tied himself to Mantis, is she an ideal to him or more who he sees himself as? Does anyone really know (or care)?

Lurdiak posted:

Man, Nebula was such a terrible character.

What was/is Nebula like compared to the films?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Don't forget Cannonball had a younger sister named Husk who could rip off her flesh to have a body made of whatever she could think of in a situation. Because they were from the Midwest, see. Don't know if she ever had corn-flesh though.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Byrne's latent misogyny led to some of the most convoluted stories in comics. And bad fashion, for that matter (unless someone else designed that rig-out of Sue Storm's).

NorgLyle posted:

The entire central thrust to the story was a part of John Byrne's weird tantrum over the Vision leading to his emotionless ghost look

See, I always thought of this as a tantrum over Wanda because of the "fake kids" thing, what was Byrne's issue with Vision?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Blockhouse posted:

this might actually be the most pompous thing I've ever heard jesus christ

I am admittedly extremely biased because I will never, ever forgive Byrne for touching Kirby's Fourth World.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Deptfordx posted:

I like the Black Knight as well. He was really good in Captain Britain and MI-13, which was itself great and a terrible shame it got canceled so soon.

I loved that book so much. I don't remember most of the comics I've read, but I'll never forget Excalibur driving back Dracula and a whole host of vampires with the sword of the same name.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, Triathlon's backstory was that he was an Olympic gold medalist who was disgraced when he was revealed to be doping, and he found inner peace or whatever by joining up with Triune Understanding, which was Not Scientology.

Didn't this tie into 3D Man in Agents of ATLAS somehow? I need to re-read those books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Edge & Christian posted:

Then this was promptly forgotten and he kind of pops up every 2-3 years with a new status quo, then disappears again.

There are so many C and D list characters this gets applied to and it's the best. I always love pointing to DC comics' awkward period post-Crisis but pre-Zero Hour where a bunch of RPG materials got produced and in some cases have ridiculous backgrounds for characters totally unfamiliar today.

• Locked thread