Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

Day 10: The Collector

Has various bases and starships around the known universe. Oh, and a place in Vermont of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shageletic posted:

Re the Collector design above, why does Marvel rely so much on humanoid like profiles for their alien people? Outside of newer stuff like the recent runs of the Fantastic Four and Foundation, and books like Annihilation, it seems like a serial lack of imagination. It isn't Star Trek, there should be no bounds on what they could think up.

Then again, most aliens in comic books act remarkably similar to humans. These stories are typically about people, whether those people are from different boroughs of New York or different solar systems. The same motivations, same hang-ups, same vices, etc. Monsters and creatures should be more alien, but like the humanoids, if you have to spend too much time explaining what they are and how they work, it might be easier to just go with what we know.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Do these old handbooks say who created the characters? I know it might break "IMMERSION" or whatever but it kinda sucks for both reader and creator if those credits were left out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

They have first appearances, but that's all.

Yeah, and teasing out who the creators were because of the appearance credits is tedious (especially back before the Internet) and not necessarily correct. Wolverine for instance!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

Day 12: Razor-Fist

Presented without further comment, because honestly what can you say?

He showed up in Toxin's series, right?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah I only ever remember Warstar from Galactic Storm. I feel like there was something with the art early in that series that made it unclear the little guy was up top.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Intelligence: Genius"

Would love to hear the explanation behind that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They could at least give us a ballpark estimate. Like "unliftable by normal humans, has been picked up by Spider-Man".

Edit: I did not know Firelord had a real name. And of course it would have something to do with fire.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 25, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't that why spider-man was fighting Firelord that one time? Because the robot Air-Walker exploded near him and Firelord got mad? Or am I getting my Firelord fights confused.

Firelord got in a fight with some construction workers after causing trouble in a pizza joint and Spider-Man intervened.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Re-reading the Firelord/Spider-Man issues and Spider-Man notices that without his stick Firelord's flying isn't as stable or balanced. So he's in the "he can fly, the stick just helps" camp as well.

Also, Surfer got the best equipment out of all the heralds. An axe or fire staff are so boring. What is this, D&D? A silver cosmic surfboard on the other hand is creative genius.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Under "Special skills and abilities" it says she speaks Spanish but she was born in Puerto Rico. Shouldn't her special skill be speaking English?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

poly and open-minded posted:

Her action shot is quickly opening a door

Everytime she bursts through the door she and Captain America have to stand there silent for a few moments until the studio audience stops cheering.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

His real/former name being Adam Henderson makes "Null, The Living Darkness" sound like he's just a 13-year old boy playing an RPG character.

"Adam, come up for dinner!"
"Mom. I told you to call me Null."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zodiac comes up quite a bit in old Shield/Fury stories. That double splash page that has been a BSS favourite for years of a shirtless Fury blasting through a wall on his jetbike has a dude (Scorpio?) wielding the Zodiac Key.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

Where is the rear view? How else can I know how to draw Bonebreaker's tankbutt?

Pretty much just a mirror of the front except there's a No Fat Chicks bumper sticker.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tato posted:

Yep. Even the guys who weren't established enough to quit felt really bad about staying after his firing. Humberto Ramos even managed to sneak in a "Joey, Forgive Us" message into X-Nation 2099 #3 that the new editors tried to cover up

Hm. Respect to Ramos. I like that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm a little surprised that in 1982 white people still thought Kung Fu was the name of a martial art school.

They still do.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mongoose is only Class 10? For some reason I thought he was in Thor's range (maybe because he was fighting Thor). But I guess that might be weird, for a character modeled after a fast animal to have such strength.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He must get tired of having to explain that his name is because of his powers and not because he's an arrogant/delusional fool who thinks he's master of the whole planet. I would expect that for a villain but he sounds like a good guy?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Just love the look of hyper-detailed jacked muscles with the pool ball on top. An 8-pack with an 8-ball.

But yeah, I love commitment to a bit. Pool cue weapon, Hover-Rack? Perfect.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tato posted:

I enjoyed the random issues of Sleepwalker I picked up, it's a bizarre concept and a neat character design. But man, it's hard to come strong out of the gate when 8-Ball is your first villain. The crew of other "balls" is just plain awesome though

Brings up a good question: who actually has good first non-origin villains? Iron Man fought an extra-terrestrial caveman. Thor fought extra-terrestrial rock men. Spider-Man's first villain is the Chameleon, I suppose.

The X-Men fight Magneto right away, which is awesome. Or can nobody ever top Captain America punching Hitler.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I sort of enjoy that Loki didn't show up to menace Thor until his third appearance. His origin villains were (as mentioned above) the Stone Men from Saturn and his first non-origin villain was the Executioner: not Skurge the Executioner, but the Executioner, who was the dictator of a South American banana republic who was holding Donald Blake and Jane Foster prisoner.

I'd say the Stone Men from Saturn are Thor's first villain(s). I used the term "non-origin" to try to differentiate from bad guys like Uncle Ben's murderer, but the Stone Men, while in Thor's first appearance, aren't really integral to Thor becoming Thor in the same way that Wong-Chu is to Iron Man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I do not get that guy's costume. It really feels like it was meant for a different character. I referred back to this article to see if there was any insight into the colour scheme but it doesn't really help.

And what is it about his powers or name or history or origin suggests that he should have that red line across his chest? Looks like a heartbeat. Like it honestly makes me think it's a weird Daredevil costume where he tries to give it away that he's blind, especially with that faceplate. I can't see but I can hear your heart! Is that line supposed to reference sound because his alter ego is a (lol) DJ?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ah, good call. Wonder why they didn't do something like an M within a larger M.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

hup posted:

So he...embiggens his hair, I guess? Does anyone have a picture of him transforming? Because I am dying to see it.

Imagine when Goku goes SSJ3 but with a little less screaming.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's not a bad gimmick, either. if he is so superhumanly skilled at pool that he can use it to throw cars around then he is at least better than hawkeye.

It's not skill, it's his cue. The Handbook entry says that the tech in his cue magnifies any force applied to it more than a thousandfold and transfers it to whatever it strikes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ah well, yes, he does have skill. I just didn't want gimme the GOD drat candy to grow up reading 8-Ball issues and think "one day I too am going to know the right spot on a car to strike to launch it in the air!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I remember those dudes (the Ani-Men) from Iron Man. Bunch of animal masks with antennas sticking out, that's about the only thing interesting about them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-0, I know this isn't really a thread for requests, but can you post the rest of the Ani-Men please?

Endless Mike posted:

"Temporarily Superhuman Class 10 in upper portion of body"

*Lifts really heavy thing with arms, legs collapse under weight*

If his arms were that much stronger than his legs then when he tried to lift something really heavy beneath him, he'd pull himself into a faceplant and snap his legs on the way down.

I'm guessing the strength just in his upper body has to do with his flight and anti-grav. He can only lift and carry things while airborne.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ape-Man, not to be confused with Black Panther villain Man-Ape.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Are we to assume that all of the illustrations are of the brief time when they were mutated and powered? Because none of their bodies are human, with the exception of Cat-Man who I suppose could be wearing gloves with claws on them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For anyone who has it, Marvel Unlimited just added Warlock and the Infinity Watch this week.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HitTheTargets posted:

Such a shame those fresh-rear end character designs got wasted on Adam Warlock spin-offs.

Magus is a little too pastel for me. Those colours could stand to be a little darker.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That page sounds a little too much like the "that's good!" / "that's bad" frozen yogurt routine on the Simpsons.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If she tilts her head even slightly to the side... ouch.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To be fair, was it The Spot who was scary or Coyote? (Or both, haven't read far enough honestly.)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Like, demolitions? Or something else? How does one get into that industry? Walk me through a typical day at work.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How do the teeth of the skull not dig into his thighs all the time.

Also: "grenazers". Love it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

With his last name being Gallows I bet he struggled real hard when deciding to resurrect the Punisher name or go with The Hangman/Executioner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

Matthew Axel

M. Axel

KING MAXEL

Shame. If his last name were just Axe, he could be Mr. Axe, M.Axe (MAX) or my favourite, Matt Axe (MATTACKS).

• Locked thread