Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

TOOT BOOT posted:

commit to continuing your post career elsewhere

thx 4 the tip but i'm not a "career" poster .. more of a freelance posting consultant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
hn caught wind of this as well

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13650665

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
lol

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6881Interesting posted:

I do have an an advantage because I’m very bright and can hold more complex state in my head than most people [speaks to attitude :)]

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
from raymond's partner in time crime

https://binaryredneck.net/2010/09/11/hacker-culture-not-optional/

i'm completely indifferent to everything on that list as are my co-workers, yet somehow we manage to make software?

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Gazpacho posted:

from raymond's partner in time crime

https://binaryredneck.net/2010/09/11/hacker-culture-not-optional/

i'm completely indifferent to everything on that list as are my co-workers, yet somehow we manage to make software?

if esr knew the meaning of "refactor" instead of "wumpus" he might be a tiny bit less useless

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

power botton posted:

did he like never sell his stock or anything? like how is he broke. he'll be the first to tell you how modest and good with money he is.

IIRC he was given stock options that didn't mature for 6 months or a year or whatever, and va linux stock tanked before that.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
esr insists he is working on vital infrastructure but voluntary contributions aren't covering the costs

either the infrastructure must not be vital or his entire economic philosophy, that only voluntary contribution is necessary and moral, is wrong

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The Management posted:

seeing esr broke and begging for money makes me happy. he's a terrible person and deserves nothing but misery.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

GameCube posted:

reminder: jay maynard jacks off to The Animaniacs

hell, who doesn't?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

eschaton posted:

esr insists he is working on vital infrastructure but voluntary contributions aren't covering the costs

either the infrastructure must not be vital or his entire economic philosophy, that only voluntary contribution is necessary and moral, is wrong
his MO is to wander into a project to "help out", then when his lackluster code changes are rejected he wanders away determined to start his own internet (with blackjack & hookers) but still takes outsized credit for being "involved"

The reason that press reports on ntpsec tend not to mention the split, apparently, is that susan sons herself doesn't mention it. she just talks all about how her team has "rescued" ntp from the one dev who knows how it works

(She criticized the principal dev for being old & out of touch. he's the same age as raymond)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Doc Block posted:

IIRC he was given stock options that didn't mature for 6 months or a year or whatever, and va linux stock tanked before that.

if he had cashed out the exact moment he was able to he would have ended up with a nice chunk of money (although way less than what he had on paper before that), but it had basically gone to zero something like a month after that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iirc he attempts to deny his greed now with "well even if i could have made millions by cashing out i wouldn't have, because i believe in open source so strongly"

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

eschaton posted:

No see that's in a perfect world, the real world is still ruled by evil government something something donate to my Patreon

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
how does an uberlibertarian even end up believing in free software? strongly compartmentalized thinking?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Suspicious posted:

how does an uberlibertarian even end up believing in free software? strongly compartmentalized thinking?
a lot of libertarians say they want all the good things promised in think tank propaganda but they're "anti-corporate" or "anti-crony" in regards to rent seeking behavior

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Suspicious posted:

wife who used to have a well paying job

all of a sudden patreon aint just for sjws anymore (its also for worthless hacks)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Suspicious posted:

libertarianism = "i don't want to pay taxes". that's it. don't bother trying to think any deeper about it because they certainly didn't.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
We'll, I don't want to pay taxes and I should be able to do whatever I want outside a set of activities I will think up on the spot, to be more precise

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
its been said before but libertarians are anarchists who want police protection from their slaves

part of it is not paying taxes, part of it is fantasizing about trading gasoline for sex with children

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

he met his common-law husband on the animaniacs newsgroups

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

libertarianism is only one of an increasingly large number of bad political frameworks of ideas constructed by taking some primitive principles and trying to logically derive a worldview from them

much of it down to a lack of actual depth to education of today

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

libertarianism is only one of an increasingly large number of bad political frameworks of ideas constructed by taking some primitive principles and trying to logically derive a worldview from them

much of it down to a lack of actual depth to education of today

American Libertarianism just the Koch brothers' ideological proving ground: it was never intended to be a coherent philosophy that actually resulted in change, it's just a way for the right wing to float ideas and gauge reactions before trying to push them via the "mainstream" Republican Party

for example, "Reason" magazine toyed with things like Holocaust denial and support for Apartheid in South Africa, if those hadn't generated outcry then they'd have been pushed to the mainstream via other channels

I can't find it now, but that "Libertarianism Is Not a Ruling-Class Philosophy" article is a pro click

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

eschaton posted:

I can't find it now, but that "Libertarianism Is Not a Ruling-Class Philosophy" article is a pro click
http://inthesetimes.com/article/3328/floating_utopias

the best bit is cut up by the page break lol

quote:

None of this is surprising. Libertarianism is not a ruling-class theory. It may be indulged, certainly, for the useful ideas it can throw up, and its prophets have at times influenced dominant ideologies–witness the cack-handed depredations of the “Chicago Boys” in Chile after Allende’s bloody overthrow. But untempered by the realpolitik of Reaganism and Thatcherism, the anti-statism of “pure” libertarianism is worse than useless to the ruling class.

Big capital will support tax-lowering measures, of course, but it does not need to piss and moan about taxes with the tedious relentlessness of the libertarian. Big capital, with its ranks of accountant-Houdinis, just gets on with not paying it. And why hate a state that pays so well? Big capital is big, after all, not only because of the generous contracts its state obligingly hands it, but because of the gun-ships with which its state opens up markets for it.

Libertarianism, by contrast, is a theory of those who find it hard to avoid their taxes, who are too small, incompetent or insufficiently connected to win Iraq-reconstruction contracts, or otherwise chow at the state trough. In its maundering about a mythical ideal-type capitalism, libertarianism betrays its fear of actually existing capitalism, at which it cannot quite succeed. It is a philosophy of capitalist inadequacy.

rest of the article owns too tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

raymond is the leading contributor to ntpsec so you can't necessarily say he's been slacking

ntpsec shouldn't exist. its main "feature" is deleting code from the mainstream ntp project.

there already exist alternative implementations of ntp. the only reason to go back to ntpd in the first place is to use unusual features the ntpsec guys are removing

it is a typical esr project: software no one wanted, poorly maintained

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Raere posted:

NTP is important and he should be funded unless he's working on some useless fork because principles

this is exactly what is happening

did you ever imagine it would be something else

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

he wrote the emacs vc driver and has contributed to it substantially over the years

the original vc mode was written by rms in 1992
esr's main contributions came in 1993

i guess i'm glad he threw in a few patches 25 years ago

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

i get the impression that this esr guy is a narcissist

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Appearance and Costume Resources

I am male, 5'8", about 190lbs, muscular build. Blue eyes, hair of indeterminate brownish/reddish/blond color. I am in good physical shape due to martial-arts training. I have a moustache but no beard. There is nothing particularly remarkable about my appearance except a slight limp (congenital cerebral palsy which I cover pretty well).

I have a reasonably well-stocked costume closet, including everything from an impressive wizard's outfit through quasi-military khakis, a white lab coat, 17th-century cavalier's garb, frock coat, topper & sword cane suitable for a 19th-century boulevardier, and an authentically styled Roman senatorial toga.

My wife is an accomplished costumer and not averse to outfitting me elaborately for a good role.
Roleplaying Experience

My previous roleplaying experience is extensive (I have been playing LARPs regularly since 1983). Characters I have played have included:

Dr. John Myriad (mad scientist) in Rekon 1B
The Blue Adept (wizard) in Double Exposure I
The Orange Adept in Double Exposure II
Ervik T'Kirth (Atlantean sorcerer) in Paths to the Future II
Hisham ibn-Sindbad (the Black Wazir) in Arabian Nights
Dr. Umberto Porenta-Vasquez (mad scientist) in Cocabanana
Jordan Marche (an incompetent shaman) in Dark Continent
Dr. Winslow Roo (mad scientist) in Rekon-2
Korin "The Brain" Teuton (mutant mad scientist) in Ace of Spades
Korin Teuton (again) in Tales From The Floating Vagabond I
Bo Ling Shu (ninja) is For A Few Wu More
Basil Kalligas (Byzantine bureaucrat) in Golden_Horn
Nikolai Zaleshoff (KGB assassin) in Casablanca.
Ingolf (Court Arch-Mage) in Valoroth.
Jorik Arnulfson (scientist/spy) in Epigene
Duke Henri de Rohan (Huguenot faction leader) in The King's Musketeers
Keric Kilvarn (wizard/stormwarden) in R.S.V.P
Algernon Hawthorne (Martian spy) in Terror on the Thames.
Marvin the Martian (toon) in Tales from the Floating Vagabond IV
Decimus Junius Brutus Alvinius (Roman general) in Pax Romana
Dr. John Holstein (nuclear physicist) in Murder Mystery Weekend
Dr. John Myriad (again) in Rekon + 10
Cyrano de Bergerac (poet, inventor, swordsman) in King's Musketeers II
Dr. Leoplod Shones (eccentric physicist) in The Precipice Club
Dr. Richard Heartwright (yet another...) in Revenge of the Mad Scientists
Harold Shea (the Compleat Enchanter) in TFV III
Alexandre Dumas fils (writer, vampire-slayer) in Sic Semper Tyrannis
The Great Giberti (stage magician) in Paddlewheel.
Thomas the Rhymer (bard and minstrel) in When The Wind Blows
Prospero (from "The Tempest") in Shakespeare's Lost Play
Henry Halleck (Union general) in All Quiet On The Potomac.
H. G. Wells in 1897: Queen Victoria's Jubilee.
Wally Ferris (ex-WW1 aviator) in The Four Aces.
Percy Bullock (adept of the Golden Dawn) in Golden Aeon
Egil Skallagrimsson (viking badass) in Drink Deep and Drink Deeper.
Lucien Volare (revolutionary agitator) in Torch of Freedom

I've played enough characters that there are one or two I've forgotten the names of, including a slug psychologist in Starlight Rendezvous, and a random Dragonlord in Dragon II.
Preferred Character Types

I consider myself a skilled and veteran player suitable for major and even leading roles — in fact my success tends to be directly proportional to my degree of involvement in major plot lines. `Spear-carrier' roles make me feel cramped and unhappy and I usually flub them. This is not exactly because I have ham tendencies (though I do) it's that I don't find small roles much of a challenge any more.

The pattern in most of the characters I have played best and enjoyed most is that they are all types who get their leverage from intelligence and puzzle-solving ability — high-level scientist or sorcerer types. One of them, `The Brain', made me the runner-up for the `Best Player' award in the first Ace Of Spades game at Balticon (and achieved all his character goals in his second appearance at the Floating Vagabond). Another (Dr. John Myriad) saved the planet Earth twice — once in Rekon-1B (my first game) and again in Rekon+10, a decade later.

In the last decade, however, I have been doing more in the way of pure dramatic roleplaying. My Cyrano de Bergerac in King's Musketeers II barely met a single one of his goals, but was much praised during and after the game for sheer melodramatic intensity (not to mention being showered with style points by the Cruel Hoax referees, not an easy crowd to impress).

My preference is to play a `Good' or `Neutral' character, but I would play a villain if necessary to get a stronger part. Usually I'd rather play an independent than a faction follower or even leader. When intriguing, I do a lot of win-win negotiating and often find myself in a pivot or power-broker position between several factions (I do have some `schemer' tendencies, though I usually prefer not to play pure schemer characters). My playing style is also marked by the fact that I almost never lie to anyone, preferring to find ways to make the truth serve my ends (by misdirection, if necessary).

Many game forms oppose `character acting' against `strategic success'. For me, the two aren't separable. All my `winning' characters have been intensely character-acted; conversely, when I've been handed a character that I couldn't method-act my way into I've generally crashed and burned. Give me a character that fits and a little rope and I'll generate as much drama as you could ask for.
Skills and Interests Relevant to Live-Action Gaming

I have an extensive knowledge base in the sciences and history.

I have a lot of experience at table gaming (military simulations, combinatorial games, etc.) and play them with some skill. If your game has a real military simulation in it, you want me as one of the generals, and it would be unwise to put me on any side you want to lose.

I have good public-speaking skills and can hold an audience.

I am a fairly able poet and can extemporize in any one of several genres at short notice, including but not limited to: ballad, limerick, haiku, and alliterative heroic meter.

I am very good at word puzzles (incomplete word recognition, crosswords, cryptograms, anagrams, that sort of thing).

I play flute, guitar, and hand drums.

I hold the rank of 1st Dan Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do, and am a student of aikido; accordingly I have considerable skill in hand-to-hand and weapons techniques, including sword and nunchaku, and am a good shot with a pistol. While the skills are not directly relevant in-game, the background does make me more convincing at playing warrior/assassin/spy-type characters.

I am an expert computer programmer and Internet technologist.
Further Information

If you are looking at paper, it was generated from a WWW page. You can find my home page at http://www.catb.org/~esr/.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

WINNINGHARD posted:

i get the impression that this esr guy is a narcissist

quote:

These are dates that every hacker knew were important at the time, or shortly afterwards. I’ve tried to concentrate on milestones for which the date - or the milestone itself - seems to have later passed out of folk memory.

MIT takes delivery of a PDP-1. The first recognizable ancestor of the hacker culture of today rapidly coalesces around it.

Ken Thompson begins work on what will become Unix. First commercial VDT ships; it’s a glass TTY. First packets exchanged on the ARPANET, the direct ancestor of today’s Internet.

DEC PDP-11 first ships; architectural descendants of this machine, including later Intel microprocessors, will come to dominate computing.

Interdata 32 ships; the long 32-bit era begins [9]. Unix Edition 5 (not yet on the Interdata) escapes Bell Labs to take root at a number of educational institutions. The XEROX Alto pioneers the "workstation" - a networked personal computer with a high-resolution display and a mouse.

First Altair 8800 ships. Beginning of heroic age of microcomputers. First 24x80 and 25x80 "smart" (addressable-cursor) VDTs. ARPANET declared "operational", begins to spread to major universities.

"Lions' Commentary on UNIX 6th Edition, with Source Code" released. First look into the Unix kernel source for most hackers, and was a huge deal in those pre-open-source days.

Unix ported to the Interdata. First version with a kernel written largely in C rather than machine-dependent assembler.

First BBS launched - CBBS, in Chicago.

First IBM PC ships. End of the heroic age of micros. TCP/IP is implemented on a VAX-11/780 under 4.1BSD Unix; ARPANET and Unix cultures begin to merge.

Sun Microsystems founded. Era of commercial Unix workstations begins.

PDP-10 canceled. This is effectively the end of 36-bit architectures anywhere outside of deep mainframe country, though Symbolics Lisp machines hold out a while longer. ARPANET, undergoing some significant technical changes, becomes Internet.

AT&T begins a largely botched attempt to commercialize Unix, clamping down on access to source code. In the BBS world, FidoNet is invented.

RMS published GNU Manifesto. This is also roughly the year the C language became the dominant lingua franca of both systems and applications programming, eventually displacing earlier compiled language so completely that they are almost forgotten.

Intel 386 ships; end of the line for 8- and 16-bit PCs. Consumer-grade hardware in this class wouldn’t be generally available until around 1989, but after that would rapidly surpass earlier 32-bit minicomputers in and workstations capability.

Linux and the World Wide Web are (separately) launched.

Bit-mapped color displays with a dot pitch matching that of a monochrome VDT (and a matching ability to display crisp text at 80x25) ship on consumer-grade PCs. Bottom falls out of the VDT market.

Linux gets TCP/IP capability, moves from hobbyist’s toy to serious OS. America OnLine offers USENET access to its uses; "September That Never Ended" begins.

Mass-market Internet takes off in the U.S. USB promulgated.

1995-1996
Peak years of UUCP/USENET and the BBS culture, then collapse under pressure from mass-market Internet.

I first give the "Cathedral and Bazaar" talk.

Peak year of the dot-com bubble. End of workstation era: Market for Suns and other proprietary Unix workstations collapses under pressure from Linux running on PCs.

Major manufacturers cease production of cathode-ray tubes in favor of flat-panel displays. Flat-panels have been ubiquitous on new hardware since about 2003. There is a brief window until about 2007 during which high-end CRTs no longer in production still exceed the resolution of flat-panel displays and are still sought after. Also in 2005, AOL drops USENET support and Endless September ends.

2007-2008
64-bit transition in mass market PCs; the 32-bit era ends. Single-processor speeds plateau at 4±0.25GHz. iPhone and Android (both with Unix-based OSes) first ship.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

quote:

>“The road of life is rocky and you may stumble too; so while you point your finger, someone else is judging you.”

Yes, but that fails to concern me. Judgment is necessary.

For evil to triumph it suffices that good men do nothing. For evil ideas like totalitarian collectivism to triumph, it suffices for nobody to point out that left politics is morally imbecilic and leads to mass death whenever it is seriously applied.

When I eat an animal, it is not a sophont that suffers. (This is why I’m careful about possible borderline cases like dolphins, elephants, and cephalopods.) Jeff’s politics, on the other hand, are a royal road to the worst evils in human history, sophont suffering and death on a scale that would have been unimaginable before Marxism reached its full, hideous, and inevitable flowering.

Don’t try to tell me these things are equivalent.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"the heroic age of micros" aka the period when you could pass yourself off as a big shot without much to show for it. much like eric raymond

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ntpsec shouldn't exist. its main "feature" is deleting code from the mainstream ntp project.

there already exist alternative implementations of ntp. the only reason to go back to ntpd in the first place is to use unusual features the ntpsec guys are removing

it is a typical esr project: software no one wanted, poorly maintained
you forgot the c99 conversion. int flags are soooo 70s, stdbool is where it's at *vapes*

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

"the heroic age of micros" aka the period when you could pass yourself off as a big shot without much to show for it. much like eric raymond

in no surprise about esr's analysis, he has it ending in 1981, aka one year before the commodore 64 came out

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

fritz posted:

in no surprise about esr's analysis, he has it ending in 1981, aka one year before the commodore 64 came out

he's more or less right about this

the "heroic" part is that back than any idiot could slap together parts in a garage to make some kind of halfassed microcomputer. they weren't really compatible with anything. there were no meaningful standards beyond the S-100 bus design

the commodore 64 and the apple II and the ibm pc swept the market and killed off all those dumb garage tinkerers

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

he's more or less right about this

the "heroic" part is that back than any idiot could slap together parts in a garage to make some kind of halfassed microcomputer. they weren't really compatible with anything. there were no meaningful standards beyond the S-100 bus design

the commodore 64 and the apple II and the ibm pc swept the market and killed off all those dumb garage tinkerers

it was really the one-two punch of the Apple II and IBM PC that killed the thousand random S-100 micro manufacturers, by the time the C64 came out the companies run by garage tinkerers were already dead and CP/M compatibility was about legacy, not about new software

the S-100 bus and CP/M were the IBM PC compatible of their day, but they were extremely fiddly to get working right and had serious interoperability problems that led to serious market fragmentation; you often had to buy the OS and other software from your hardware vendor, even though it was "standard," because everyone used slightly different disk formats and so on, and even then getting all the pieces-parts to work together was often a nightmare that made DOS-era compatibility dances look sane

the Apple II and II+ showed that these personal computer things could actually be useful appliances if they were more or less turnkey; the "put in a disk and boot straight to the program you want to use" model was actually pretty revolutionary at the time, as was the affordability of an Apple II with a floppy disk drive

Atari and Commodore and Texas Instruments (and Mattel and a whole host of other mass-market manufacturers) decided to get into this stuff from the ultra-low-cost home end, assuming business use would follow since that was working for Apple, but a lot of what they did was way too compromised to expand to business use; Apple really hit the sweet spot in price, capability, and configurability in the 8-bit world

IBM then put together a personal computer that businesses were willing to buy en masse and pretty much everyone else was an also-ran in business from then on

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

the S-100 bus and CP/M were the IBM PC compatible of their day, but they were extremely fiddly to get working right and had serious interoperability problems that led to serious market fragmentation; you often had to buy the OS and other software from your hardware vendor, even though it was "standard," because everyone used slightly different disk formats and so on, and even then getting all the pieces-parts to work together was often a nightmare that made DOS-era compatibility dances look sane

eschaton is 100% correct about this but it's even worse than it looks on the surface. only the bus was standardized in the s/100 era. this is like buying a random "computer" and the only information you have about it is that there is a PCI bus inside, somewhere.

• CPUs varied widely:
    z80, 6809, 8080, 8088, 8086, 68000, even the occasional z8000

• operating systems varied widely:
    cp/m, mp/m, unix, os/9, plus whatever weird poo poo intel was selling that week

• obviously no two systems had the same subsystems. why would anyone buy the same UART and assign it the same address on the bus?

third party software was almost non-existent because it was so drat hard to verify compatibility before mailing a check to some address you found in the back of "whole earth catalog"

(because computer pioneers had a lot of overlap with late-generation hippies. you think software developers are flaky now?)

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 19, 2017

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
on 2017-02-13 14:05 EST:

esr, to python-dev mailing list posted:

Some of the older Pythonistas will remember my previous time on this
list, and possibly that I faded away quietly under time pressure from
other projects and the whole being-famous nonsense.

I'm back, for now primarily to listen. I have some questions about the
future direction of Python which I'll bring up when I have time for
the vigorous discussion that will certainly ensue.
--
>>esr>>
@python.org[/email]

e: gently caress

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 19, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
"gently caress." is indeed the correct response when esr announces he's started paying attention to a mailing list again. ;)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

his time on UNIX-HATERS when he was first rewriting the jargon file to refer to UNIX instead of ITS certainly is legendary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
lots of really funny esr posts on this page

• Locked thread