Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh yeah va linux did a 1:10 reverse split in 2006 when they were named "geeknet"

so esr's best-case payout was $30k, not $300k :q:

Considering that he made a big post after VA Linux's IPO about how he was a millionaire , I'm happy he's begging for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

qirex posted:

funko pops

seriously what's up with those things, they're goddamned everywhere

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

they're like urban vinyl toys for poors

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
i wonder if esr now sees the values of social safety nets or is his gun boner stronger than his instinctive need for food, shelter, etc

join dsa, esr, save yourself, save your wife

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

my wife married me so i guess there's no accounting for taste but

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel so sorry for his wife, imagine being married to esr, seriously IMAGINE BEING MARRIED TO ESR

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
The Tragic Wife's of YOSPOS

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
i hope esr continues to serve as an example for young people everywhere

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i'm taking a class taught by a guy who could reasonably pass for Eric's half-brother and it fukin SUCKS

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

It turns out that toys aren't a meritocracy?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hifi posted:

i read heathcliff

The Garbage Ape.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Sword Camp 2008: And So, It Begins…

our training incorporates the jujitsu he learned, and firearms, and various other bits and pieces from Asian martial arts.

A few of those bits and pieces are mine. I’m the school’s only guest instructor; in previous years I’ve taught units on escrima (Philippine stick-fighting) and board-breaking, and this year I’m doing one on “Japanese Sword For Western Swordsmen”. That should be fun.

Everyone is praying the weather holds. Michigan is extremely hot and wet in the summer; last year’s camp came perilously close to being shut down by brutal humidity, but we might get a break this year; it’s only supposed to hit the eighties Fahrenheit.

Yeah. I’m ready. It’s time to fight.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

esr has strong bankai

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

they're like urban vinyl toys for poors

lmao look at this post

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

OldAlias posted:

Sword Camp 2008: And So, It Begins…

our training incorporates the jujitsu he learned, and firearms, and various other bits and pieces from Asian martial arts.

A few of those bits and pieces are mine. I’m the school’s only guest instructor; in previous years I’ve taught units on escrima (Philippine stick-fighting) and board-breaking, and this year I’m doing one on “Japanese Sword For Western Swordsmen”. That should be fun.

Everyone is praying the weather holds. Michigan is extremely hot and wet in the summer; last year’s camp came perilously close to being shut down by brutal humidity, but we might get a break this year; it’s only supposed to hit the eighties Fahrenheit.

Yeah. I’m ready. It’s time to fight.

guess we know who funded neil stephensons kickstarter

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

OldAlias posted:

Fahrenheit

lmao what a fuckin moron

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Tankakern posted:

here's a writeup of that ntp vs ntpsec debacle

A rift in the NTP world

the comment with the grim acknowledgement that people maintaining critical internet infrastructure are old and are going to die soon is pretty :smith:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

LinYutang posted:

the comment with the grim acknowledgement that people maintaining critical internet infrastructure are old and are going to die soon is pretty :smith:

hell yeah

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

LinYutang posted:

don't worry, there's an app for that

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

LinYutang posted:

i'm very much ready for the internet to die

George
Nov 27, 2004

im frreal excited for esr to go to the giant armpit vagina in the sky

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

George posted:

bow legged and confused about how his imminent prowess for a very confused simulacrum of life could have led him down such a dimly ending road

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.

George posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

George posted:

me too. he'll be taking credit for the angels' work soon.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Bulgakov posted:

bow legged and confused about how his imminent prowess for a very confused simulacrum of life could have led him down such a dimly ending road

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

What's ESR up to? Reading your loving brainwaves

https://twitter.com/tqbf/status/846772587027947520

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

"cross your eyes and dot your Ts"

-eric raymon 2007

George
Nov 27, 2004

boy he really wanted someone to call that the raymond principle or raymond's law or the lovely eyeball or something

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

it's called rolling your eyes and i bet esr sees a lot of it

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

George posted:

boy he really wanted someone to call that the raymond principle or raymond's law or the lovely eyeball or something

ah, the bugeye principle

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
debunked bugeye myth

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Something something, Mr. Robot ...

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ESR: As an important co-guest of honour at some tech conference 15 years ago, my view of this year's conference agenda is that it is full of gun-hating transexual SJWs, foisting their unisex bathrooms on me. In support of this, here are a bunch of agreeing rants by my wife, some other hanger-on whose name was involved in the ntpd "rewrite" drama as being deeply involved ... but on to bigger and better things than vcs->git, whitespace changes, and documentation changes, and finally, some other equally insane person I've never heard of who probably was the one who appealed to ESR for help.

http://lists.penguicon.org/pipermail/penguicon-general-penguicon.org/2017-May/thread.html#135

(Note that I didn't read anything other than the first two paragraphs and then some random sentences in the OP, then some author names in the thread.)

ESR posted:

Penguicon has lost its way.

For those who have not been around long enough to remember, I speak
with authority on this not only because I was co-GOH at Penguicon I
with Terry Pratchett, and not only because the convention was in a
strong sense designed around my availability by its original founders
(my friends Rob Landley and Tracy Worcester), but for the *reasons* I
was an anchor GOH. That is, my many years as an SF fan, and (more
importantly) my many years of serving and shaping today's open-source
hacker culture.

Penguicon is at risk of becoming an environment that is exclusionary
and toxic - ironically, because it has bent to the demands of people
who claim to favor "inclusion" and diversity, but whose methods are
speech policing, thought policing, and the intimidation of any who
disagree with them.

Historically, SF fandom and the hacker culture have been broadly
accepting of all manner of marginalized [...]

Myself, I was utterly horrified when I learned - too late to affect
the decision - that Coraline Ehmke had been invited as GOH.

[...]

Failure to understand this is is why Ehmke is toxic. Here's how I
described hacker culture tradition as I have known it over four
decades at [...]

What actual problem was declaring those bathrooms unisex solving?
Did you really need to offend all those people? Worse, were the
unisex bathrooms *intended* to get in centrist/conservative faces

James Baud fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 6, 2017

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

James Baud posted:

ESR: As an important co-guest of honour at some tech conference 15 years ago, my view of this year's conference agenda is that it is full of gun-hating transexual SJWs, foisting their unisex bathrooms on me. In support of this, here are a bunch of agreeing rants by my wife, some other hanger-on whose name was involved in the ntpd "rewrite" drama as being deeply involved ... but on to bigger and better things than vcs->git, whitespace changes, and documentation changes, and finally, some other equally insane person I've never heard of who probably was the one who appealed to ESR for help.

http://lists.penguicon.org/pipermail/penguicon-general-penguicon.org/2017-May/thread.html#135

(Note that I didn't read anything other than the first two paragraphs and then some random sentences in the OP, then some author names in the thread.)

this is art

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

James Baud posted:

ha one of those libertarian goobers in the thread is jay Maynard aka Tron Guy

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

BeOSPOS posted:

yeah he's one of ESRs clingers on

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the selective quote is missing a lot of gold

esr posted:

What actual problem was declaring those bathrooms unisex solving? Did you really need to offend all those people?
It makes *me* feel unsafe; it makes me worry about the next step in the politicization of the personal, and the step after that.

the entire point of the thing is also specifically that "tron guy" was made to feel uncomfortable, which was the greatest sin imaginable

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

im still lolling at RMS being a cover story in this months Psychology Today

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

BeOSPOS posted:

tron guy kicked the whole thing off a week or so ago : https://medium.com/@jmaynard/mpga-d4b72ec08ed4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
example #325 of nerds not knowing how to not be a victim

• Locked thread