Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

raymond is the leading contributor to ntpsec so you can't necessarily say he's been slacking

ntpsec shouldn't exist. its main "feature" is deleting code from the mainstream ntp project.

there already exist alternative implementations of ntp. the only reason to go back to ntpd in the first place is to use unusual features the ntpsec guys are removing

it is a typical esr project: software no one wanted, poorly maintained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Raere posted:

NTP is important and he should be funded unless he's working on some useless fork because principles

this is exactly what is happening

did you ever imagine it would be something else

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

he wrote the emacs vc driver and has contributed to it substantially over the years

the original vc mode was written by rms in 1992
esr's main contributions came in 1993

i guess i'm glad he threw in a few patches 25 years ago

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

"the heroic age of micros" aka the period when you could pass yourself off as a big shot without much to show for it. much like eric raymond

fritz posted:

in no surprise about esr's analysis, he has it ending in 1981, aka one year before the commodore 64 came out

he's more or less right about this

the "heroic" part is that back than any idiot could slap together parts in a garage to make some kind of halfassed microcomputer. they weren't really compatible with anything. there were no meaningful standards beyond the S-100 bus design

the commodore 64 and the apple II and the ibm pc swept the market and killed off all those dumb garage tinkerers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

the S-100 bus and CP/M were the IBM PC compatible of their day, but they were extremely fiddly to get working right and had serious interoperability problems that led to serious market fragmentation; you often had to buy the OS and other software from your hardware vendor, even though it was "standard," because everyone used slightly different disk formats and so on, and even then getting all the pieces-parts to work together was often a nightmare that made DOS-era compatibility dances look sane

eschaton is 100% correct about this but it's even worse than it looks on the surface. only the bus was standardized in the s/100 era. this is like buying a random "computer" and the only information you have about it is that there is a PCI bus inside, somewhere.

• CPUs varied widely:
    z80, 6809, 8080, 8088, 8086, 68000, even the occasional z8000

• operating systems varied widely:
    cp/m, mp/m, unix, os/9, plus whatever weird poo poo intel was selling that week

• obviously no two systems had the same subsystems. why would anyone buy the same UART and assign it the same address on the bus?

third party software was almost non-existent because it was so drat hard to verify compatibility before mailing a check to some address you found in the back of "whole earth catalog"

(because computer pioneers had a lot of overlap with late-generation hippies. you think software developers are flaky now?)

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 19, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't think ESR could write about his last bowel movement without being self-aggrandizing

quote:

On was: their skin color looks fecal. The other was: their bone structure doesn’t look human. And they’re just off-reference enough to be much more creepy than if they looked less like people, like bad CGI or shambling undead in a B movie. When I paid close enough attention, these were the three basic data under the revulsion; my hindbrain thought it was surrounded by alien poo poo zombies.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

minivanmegafun posted:

the ti computer in particular was goofy as gently caress, being its own weird 16-bit CPU (TMS9900) and then they hamstrung the poor thing with a 256 byte memory attached directly to the CPU and then an 8-bit bus to page the remaining 16K of shared video ram

the 256 byte memory was SRAM, not DRAM. it was intended to be the register file for the cpu, because early 1980s chips didn't have room for on-die registers

the ti-99 series looks a lot less goofy when you keep this in mind

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

i went ahead and refined the stats a little because i do want to be fair and also i can't pass up a chance to shell script

[...]

NTPsec:
152225 added
470953 deleted
 31458 modified

[...]

so i went and looked at the 'git blame' output for ntpsec

esr's primary "contributions":
  • touch every file in the repo to delete a 100+ line license preamble

• touch every file in the repo to eliminate the ISC equivalent of 'gettext,' rendering ntpsec non-localizable

he actually made the codebase worse lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

i love that he will be a part of your larp but only if he gets to be the main character and also he has to win in the end otherwise forget it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

A Pinball Wizard posted:

what music do you think esr listens to

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

isnt the vast majority of this guys contribution to nntp just "fixing" nitpicky nonissues?

he is the principal contributor to an ntp fork that deletes ntp's useful features

:clap:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the cathedral and the bazaar was masturbatory wishful thinking. which is exactly what the world needed in that moment, on the cusp of the dotcom boom.

one crappy essay with no footnotes plotted a course for millions of dollars out of VC wallets and into pointless companies with no business model

in no particular order:
  • va linux
  • eazel
  • caldera linux systems
  • ximian
  • api networks
  • suse
  • cobalt systems
  • mozilla
  • progeny

esr spread manure on the seedbed for an entire generation of failed companies.

(in other words, he covered the industry in poo poo.)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

shame on an IGA posted:

Also they paid $20/share I haven't looked into potential split/buyback history but if esr really was still autistically clenching his 150k shares he netted 3 million dollars 2 years ago

E: did he have real shares or just options to buy at 30

LNUX IPOed at 14.4 billion, but sold to gamestop for 140 million, 0.9% of its day one value. the best case scenario for esr was earning $300k.

given the many, many weird mergers they executed over the years i bet he got less than that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
oh yeah va linux did a 1:10 reverse split in 2006 when they were named "geeknet"

so esr's best-case payout was $30k, not $300k :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
best-selling authors should not be invited because your inclusion some how excludes me, the real sci if fan :colbert:

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 7, 2017

• Locked thread