Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

fritz posted:

These are dates that every hacker knew were important at the time, or shortly afterwards. I’ve tried to concentrate on milestones for which the date - or the milestone itself - seems to have later passed out of folk memory.

I first give the "Cathedral and Bazaar" talk.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

if i am not made the center of attention, i will be a mopey shithead and ruin the game for everyone else

the original docs were boring so we made a complex manpage-to-HTML transcoding solution

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Gazpacho posted:

this doesn't seem like such an unreasonable thing to do, would you rather maintain this file or this one
idk how much of a priority id make it given there were 4 changes over the last 5 years and it hasn't been touched in 2?

i certainly wouldn't go on and on about how "Millsian," the living human whom I'd aggressively forked it away from, the existing docs were and condescendingly bring up SPOT

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

George posted:

yeah the jokes write themselves

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Hammerite posted:

who has he led. serious q

there's this weird split in his history of himself. cathedral and the bazaar was a groundbreaking moment that solidified the community and every hacker knew of the exact date it occurred, but it also faded into history and nobody gives a poo poo about it, which is precisely what he wanted, you see. it wasn't a so-so post-facto description of the movement, it provided the framework lens for which all new philosophies must be examined

so the entire open source movement? his leadership. but not like, visibly or anything, you plebe how could you even be so small-minded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ugh

• Locked thread