Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i find the implication that anyone has read his book and know what you are talking about disturbing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

libertarianism is only one of an increasingly large number of bad political frameworks of ideas constructed by taking some primitive principles and trying to logically derive a worldview from them

much of it down to a lack of actual depth to education of today

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it seems very likely that hitler was a hugely interesting person to be around, esr is not really on the same "worst person ever" axis as hitler in any way

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

how did the usually so mediocre smbc guy poo poo out this glorious thing?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

and mediocre was too generous, i read a couple of other recent ones, and they are offensively bad

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

prefect posted:

:flipoff:

smbc is great

i know i have been linked decent ones before, but in the last half dozen, which i leafed through now, is trying so *hard* for nerd/science cred in a way that makes me cringe

dilbert one is great though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the selective quote is missing a lot of gold

esr posted:

What actual problem was declaring those bathrooms unisex solving? Did you really need to offend all those people?
It makes *me* feel unsafe; it makes me worry about the next step in the politicization of the personal, and the step after that.

the entire point of the thing is also specifically that "tron guy" was made to feel uncomfortable, which was the greatest sin imaginable

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

maynard raymond is a tremendous tool but that doesn't mean people should feel at liberty to make veiled threats to his personal safety

he "feels unsafe" because the event went out of its way to have unisex bathrooms. i think his right to personal safety, as he views it, is pretty much void here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

i don't care if his definition of "unsafe" is silly. throwing the same inflammatory language back at him, in public view, is irresponsible & not conducive to desired outcomes

well, have fun uselessly wringing your hands for the benefit of the worst of humanity i guess

• Locked thread