Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
(feel free to request an icon change)

So The CW has a show called Riverdale and it's about Archie and the gang as sexy teens and also murder mystery stuff. New eps go on Netflix the day after in the UK and I assume other non-US countries too? Madchen Amick is in it and Archie's been fuckin a teacher and someone described it in Couch Chat as the most CW thing to ever CW. I watched the first episode and it didn't seem to be that exceptional other than the amusement of being a spin on an existing property but hey ain't nothing wrong with some ultratrash (no seriously I don't doubt this show is insanely fun)

It airs on Thursdays, ok, go crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I watched this first two episodes and this sure is a... Show. Is this actually going somewhere?

EDIT: The slutshaming plotline in episode 3 is the most 'teen show written by adults' thing I've ever seen. Makes me appreciate Sweet/Vicious for not being awful.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 11, 2017

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If you feel like these characters are too witty for teens, never watch veronica mars.

Riverdale's been a loving blast, pretty much from the word go. Archie is a total blank of a character, but that fits the Dawson/Ryan Atwood template. Camila Mendes crushes it as Veronica, and the mystery is progressing nicely.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

But I love Veronica Mars :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Same

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh hey a Riverdale thread. Nice!

Here are my thoughts on this show, in no particular order:

• Betty is the secret main character and I love her. Seriously, keep your eyes on her face. Any scene she's in, 90% of the action is taking place there.
  • :yeah:
  • I kind of love the fact that Cheryl takes the narcissistic, domineering Queen Bee routine and... leans hard into it??? Hidden depths? Nuance? No! gently caress that! We're going to go for a ride. She's not so much living in her own little fantasy world as determined to make everyone else live there too.
  • Is there anyone in Riverdale Betty's mother isn't trying to start a war with? If she had her way there'd be nothing left of the town but ash.
  • The coroner :allears: I hope he comes back.
  • I've never read the comics, so I have to ask: has Dilton Doiley (what the gently caress is that name) always been this crazy prepper type or did they invent that just so they could have this gunshot red herring?
  • Similarly: "Jughead"???
  • Jughead's voiceovers were fun, when it was a "look at this dude and his little film noir show within a show" sort of thing, but they're getting a little overblown. Dial it in, Jughead; you don't want to go full Mohinder.
  • Veronica is best girl. She's almost too well adjusted for this show.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Just want to reiterate that, in terms of charmingly absurd teen soap, the preview for episode 4 brings the motherfucking ruckus.

Also, internet fandom distilled in three YouTube comments:

EDIT: :tviv: Episode 6 title: "Faster, Pussycats! Kill! Kill!"

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 11, 2017

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why is Reggie not a main character? Reggie is the best.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm enjoying this show, but I'm a fan of Archie by default, so I'm a bit biased. I thought they managed to update the characters well without losing prominent aspects of the characters, save a few like Betty's mom, who are wildly different--presumably because if every single character was too close to their modern portrayals the closest thing to a true antagonist would be Reggie pulling elementary school pranks on people.

Something to note is that it's hard to say whether or not they "destroyed" a character because Archie comics has never been big on caring about consistency with their characters; eg: over the years, Veronica's fluctuated between horridly mean girl and a very sweet socialite, while her dad Hiram would go back and forth between being Donald Trump who hates Archie and Warren Buffett who hates Archie. I realize this is a huge catch-all that will let me say "oh, but actually" every time someone complains about a character's portrayal, but I'll try to be fair and point out distinct differences and similarities where applicable.

Autonomous Monster posted:

• I've never read the comics, so I have to ask: has Dilton Doiley (what the gently caress is that name) always been this crazy prepper type or did they invent that just so they could have this gunshot red herring?
Nope, that's a brand new thing they made up for the show; Dilton's gimmick is that he's a super genius who can just casually invent time machines, etc. I doubt they'll be leaning into that direction here. That said, there are stories of him being lonely because of his genius and social awkwardness, so maybe that's going to be played as a consequence of this.

• Similarly: "Jughead"???
The origin--the original 1941 origin--of his name is a mystery to me; maybe someone knows it. His real name is Forsythe P. Jones III, and in the recent comic book reboot, they've explained both the fancy-schmancy name and the nickname: he comes from old money, and was as rich as the Lodges when he was a kid, until his parents blew their fortune on a water-bottling scam called Purejug, which led to him being a laughing stock at school. Again, this isn't core to the character, so there's no telling if this will be the case at all for the show.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just want to say again; I don't know if it's the lighting, the cinematography, the acting, or all three, but this show has some intense emotions going on, to the point where I feel like any of these characters could commit murder at any given moment.

Also, I kind of dig the reinterpretation of Jughead's weird crown thing to this weird beanie thing. They're both slightly ridiculous but the beanie feels ridiculous in a way that someone would actually be willing to indulge in.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Jugheads "crown" is actually a Whoopee Cap. It's literally just a cut up fedora, which admiringly would be even sillier in a modern context.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Watched the first episode. When this was in production, it was described at "Archie meets Twin Peals" or something like that, and I can kinda see that come through with everyone being headcases and there being a murder mystery. It's not bad, and I like them taking inspiration from the newer incarnation of the comics where, again, everyone is headcases.

I kinda feel like I'm a little too old for the teen drama stuff though. I know Archie being between two women is a big thing, and them being all teenagers in school is kinda their whole deal, but I kinda hope for more Twin Peaks and less 90210.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

This show is fun and very CW. I don't know if it's good necessarily but it's enjoyable to watch while a little stoned

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Watched the other two episodes. Jughead is the best character and I love his literary voiceovers. I like Betty becoming more psychotic and Cheryl becoming more of a person. I'm wondering if they're going to go with the incest angle with her and Jason or not.

Show is REALLY slow-paced though. It's like a bunch of slow-paced teen drama until the last couple minutes, then a big cliffhanger at the end with Jughead's voiceover to make you come back. But dammit, does it make me want to come back, especially with the preview for the next episode with OG Miss Grundy and hot young Miss Grundy being a fake.

Edit: I hope Sabrina shows up at some point too. Then we'd REALLY get into some nice Twin Peaks territory.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 11, 2017

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jamesman posted:

Edit: I hope Sabrina shows up at some point too. Then we'd REALLY get into some nice Twin Peaks territory.

It's been rumoured. I can't really see this show ever going full Twin Peaks, though. Pretty Little Liars might be a better point of reference.

Also:

Thanks, Comics Alliance.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Riverdale is trashy but compelling.

Fallout from episode 3, and the preview for ep 4, indicates that things are about to get buck wild (albeit at a pretty casual pace, I imagine).

And now I can't stop giggling at the thought of Cole Sprouse playing Jughead with his eyes permanently shut.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

It's been rumoured. I can't really see this show ever going full Twin Peaks, though. Pretty Little Liars might be a better point of reference.

Maybe not full-on Sabrina the Teenage Witch, but they could have Sabrina the Wiccan who wants to hold a seance to talk to Jason's spirit to find out who murdered him or some poo poo.

But I must insist on talking cat puppet Salem.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The "sticky maple" sub-plot in the latest episode was retarded and I'm pissed that Jughead isn't super into hamburgers but I'm probably going to keep watching this show. How many episodes is is slated to be?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!
Best Jughead scene was when he swooped in and stole that young Boy Scout's cherry in the diner.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MorgaineDax posted:

Best Jughead scene was when he swooped in and stole that young Boy Scout's cherry in the diner.

That scene was just completely out of nowhere, suddenly he was a completely different character, for one scene.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

MorgaineDax posted:

You know what you're doing and I appreciate it.

I hope they bring Sabrina on and the show goes full on mental with it. Just completely change the reality the show is based on for next season and go Archie Presents: The Walking Dead with a zombie dead whatshisface. Anyway, are Cheryl and her dead brother characters from the comics?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yes! In the comics, they're rich kids from Pembrooke Academy, who come to Riverdale to generally throw the "townies" into chaos. Cheryl in particular was there to play the mean rich girl part when the writers needed Veronica to be nice, or when they needed two mean rich girls fighting, but that aspect of her also got toned down a bit when Archie started dating her.

If I were to compare Cheryl and Jason to anyone, I'd say that in the old comics, they were like, uh, "wholesome" versions of the brother and sister from Cruel Intentions, so in that way, it kinda makes sense that they give off the creepy twincest vibe when the sugar-coating of Riverdale is peeled away.

BJPaskoff posted:

I hope they bring Sabrina on and the show goes full on mental with it. Just completely change the reality the show is based on for next season and go Archie Presents: The Walking Dead with a zombie dead whatshisface. Anyway, are Cheryl and her dead brother characters from the comics?

Jason landed on the Greendale side of the river, which is where Sabrina lives. The showrunner said he plans for Sabrina to be on the show--but I don't think we can expect her this season. As for zombies, he mentioned this before; no idea if they'll get to do it, but he wanted Halloween eps to be standalone non-canon stories a-la Treehouse of Horror, and floated the idea of doing an Afterlife with Archie episode. I don't think there's a Halloween ep this season though.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This is, of course, assuming they get more than one season. Which I kind of hope they do, just so they can go further down the crazy hole. I want actual witch Sabrina. I want time travel and zombies. Hell, loving Sam and Dean can ride through town for a crossover episode and comment on how freaky and hosed up Riverdale is.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Chuck licking his lips as he went in to kiss Veronica in the car was utterly revolting.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Spergatory posted:

This is, of course, assuming they get more than one season. Which I kind of hope they do, just so they can go further down the crazy hole. I want actual witch Sabrina. I want time travel and zombies. Hell, loving Sam and Dean can ride through town for a crossover episode and comment on how freaky and hosed up Riverdale is.

I want Netflix's Punisher/Archie crossover. For real. It happened in the comics, make it happen on the show!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jamesman posted:

I kinda feel like I'm a little too old for the teen drama stuff though. I know Archie being between two women is a big thing, and them being all teenagers in school is kinda their whole deal, but I kinda hope for more Twin Peaks and less 90210.
I agree but The Magicians seems like the only show catering to our age group.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Argue posted:

Jason landed on the Greendale side of the river, which is where Sabrina lives.

They're gonna have her show up when they reveal her as Jason's killer.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I really hope the gay kid killed Jason, mostly because I want him off the show. As a gay man, I've had enough of that grating stereotype to last me several lifetimes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Really liked the first two episodes. Really didn't like the third because what the gently caress was that slut shaming plotline?

All in all I'm gonna continue watching going forward.

And I've never read an Archie comic and never will.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 13, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I am in the middle of a Google search for "weird Archie comics" and there's just. So much. It's wonderful. Please get weird, show. Give me Archie vs Predator. Give me Jughead's Time Police. Give me zombies and necromancy. loving hell, bring on the cast of Glee and have them fight the Ninja Turtles. Just loving do it. It's in the comics! There's precedent for this poo poo! Let's go hog loving wild! The CW will never know what hit it! :kheldragar:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Spergatory posted:

I am in the middle of a Google search for "weird Archie comics" and there's just. So much. It's wonderful. Please get weird, show. Give me Archie vs Predator. Give me Jughead's Time Police. Give me zombies and necromancy. loving hell, bring on the cast of Glee and have them fight the Ninja Turtles. Just loving do it. It's in the comics! There's precedent for this poo poo! Let's go hog loving wild! The CW will never know what hit it! :kheldragar:

Riverdale s02e07 - "Crisis on Multiple Earths, part 3" - When Marshall January McAndrews traces a time aberration to Central City following the disappearance of its hero, The Flash, it's up to Jughead and his time-travelling beanie to set things right, with the help of his friends' alteregos, the Superteens of Earth-T. Meanwhile, Damien Dahrk's latest plan hits a snag when he realizes that his target, Greendale, is under the protection of a powerful family of witches.

The show is produced by Berlanti so it could happen someday!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Argue posted:

Riverdale s02e07 - "Crisis on Multiple Earths, part 3" - When Marshall January McAndrews traces a time aberration to Central City following the disappearance of its hero, The Flash, it's up to Jughead and his time-travelling beanie to set things right, with the help of his friends' alteregos, the Superteens of Earth-T. Meanwhile, Damien Dahrk's latest plan hits a snag when he realizes that his target, Greendale, is under the protection of a powerful family of witches.

The show is produced by Berlanti so it could happen someday!

You joke, but given the direction the the CW has been going for the past few years, I fully expect some kind of crisis crossover mega show to happen at some point. Crossovers and shared universes slowly took over the comics and movie worlds, now it's only natural that TV join the trend. They've already done it with all their superhero shows, it's only a matter of time before their various other shows with modern settings get pulled into the all-consuming crossover void.

Seriously though, at the very least, I want the Legends to crash land in Riverdale and abduct Jughead for an episode as a nod to Jughead's Time Police. Naturally, the episode would end with Jughead having a fight to the death with his evil alt-earth doppelganger in a hotel lobby.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Each episode is better than the last and this show is really winning me over. Veronica getting in Cheryl's face over the football players was wonderful.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Those of you that may have been worried about ratings, don't worry. WB and Archie are impressed with the success of the show and have signed an agreement to do more projects together.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/archie-comics-signs-development-deal-warner-bros-tv-975805

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Oh God. There's going to be an Archieverse, isn't there?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We can hope that fate is kind enough for that.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Oh God. There's going to be an Archieverse, isn't there?

Or at least an MCU crossover with the Punisher

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
dang Barb is in this

also the show is like, incredibly incredibly lovely - the slut-shaming and white privilege stuff was so ham handed it physically hurt me to watch

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I love that Betty and Veronica are responsible for like 90% of the stuff that actually moves the plot forward while Jughead narrates and Archie is just kinda... there.

Bitches get poo poo DONE. :boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

These episodes were filmed before the election :v:

• Locked thread