Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Spergatory posted:

I really think that whoever said Archie remains blissfully unaware of the A plot until the others wind up somehow saving him from it might be dead on.

What if... they don't save him from it!!

I mean the show is just called Riverdale and the Archie comics guys have repeatedly gone the route of "lets just kill archie" lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

This series isn't a adaptation of the Archie Comics. It's a adaptation of the Betty and Veronica comics.

Actually I read a interview that made a lot of sense that Archie is a stereotypical teen from a 90s TV show and oblivious to not only his idiocy but how the world doesn't revolve around him. It's a interesting choice to make the main character of the comics to be tertiary to the plot but that's what he is and he doesn't realize that he isn't the main lead of the series. The show so far has been all about Betty and Veronica moving the plot forward with Jughead. Archies pretty much done nothing. Betty and Veronica are the main characters not Archie. Which is really interesting. So yeah, Archie is actually a supporting character to Betty and Veronica who are the actual main stars of the show.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 4, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Hollismason posted:

This series isn't a adaptation of the Archie Comics. It's a adaptation of the Betty and Veronica comics.

Actually I read a interview that made a lot of sense that Archie is a stereotypical teen from a 90s TV show and oblivious to not only his idiocy but how the world doesn't revolve around him. It's a interesting choice to make the main character of the comics to be tertiary to the plot but that's what he is and he doesn't realize that he isn't the main lead of the series. The show so far has been all about Betty and Veronica moving the plot forward with Jughead. Archies pretty much done nothing. Betty and Veronica are the main characters not Archie. Which is really interesting. So yeah, Archie is actually a supporting character to Betty and Veronica who are the actual main stars of the show.

I believe you, but if you happen to run across that interview again, I'd love to read it.

If that's the tack they're taking, though, I doubt Archie stays tertiary for the whole season. If that's how it is, so be it, but he's our main guy, and our main guy is stuck in a bubble with a severe confidence problem. Something is going to force him into the game.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

bunnyofdoom posted:

Will we ever see Jughead eating pie and coffee in Pop's?

I mean Cole Sprouse is a good looking guy...

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Also it feels more and more like this is two separate shows. Did Betty and Jughead even interact with Archie in this episode? They shared a table, but I think that's it.

They didn't just "share a table", Archie straight up asked "hey, can I join the A-plot" and Jughead and Betty gave each other an awkward look and made an excuse to not have him go because they knew it'd just gently caress things up.

Everyone on the show knows Archie is an idiot and it's great.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Hollismason posted:

So yeah, Archie is actually a supporting character to Betty and Veronica who are the actual main stars of the show.

The promo for next week seems to suggest it's pretty much the Jughead show. There is not even a hint of another character having a plot. That combined with a couple of Cole Sprouse interviews makes me think this is Jughead's ascension to full main character status, fully supplanting Archie as the center of the show. Next, Veronica will fall for him, and he will have a love triangle.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
There's also a new episode of that podcast, for those who are interested.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
as someone who forged my parents' signatures all the time in middle and high school i love how the tables are turned here.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol the CoverGirl label coming sharply into focus.

Not their first blatant Cover Girl product placement spot, either. I recall one other shot where camera behaved exactly the same: follow the character's hand as they put the product away, end with a rack focus on the label. Really draws attention to itself, but I guess that's the point.

DivisionPost posted:

If that's the tack they're taking, though, I doubt Archie stays tertiary for the whole season. If that's how it is, so be it, but he's our main guy, and our main guy is stuck in a bubble with a severe confidence problem. Something is going to force him into the game.

My pet theory is "Archie was the intended victim because somebody wanted to hurt Fred Andrews, Jason was murdered by mistake." My basis is 1) Most of the adults in this town have shown themselves to be amoral monsters and B) Mrs. Blossom directly called out how Archie and Jason look alike.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

The Cooper's are loving monsters. I mean, hold a grudge for age-old family murders, I get that, but locking your daughter away and calling her crazy for carrying the spawn of your hated enemy is mental. Then again, the horror movie plot of the Blossom's combined with the Cooper's means that kid would have come out with something.

I loved this past episode because it humanized Josie. I couldn't stand her the couple of episodes we've seen because she kinda just felt like a bitch; seeing her interaction with her parents just solidifies why she's so into her music and brand and doesn't see past it sometimes. Also, I hated that cover. Was also thinking if they were going to pull a "Veronica sucks at singing," the way they did in some of the comics; it changed around depending on the issue, I think.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
It's very Romeo and Juliet. Two houses that hate each other, two kids from those houses that fall in love, something something tragedy. I wonder if anything else fits into that analogy.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol the CoverGirl label coming sharply into focus.

In other TV threads, people can get annoyed that there's a beer sign in a bar, or a computer logo on a laptop. Just hating the concept of real products existing in semi-fictional worlds and feeling like it's product placement (even when sometimes they're not even sponsored) being shoved down their throats and they hate it.

But here, when you have commercial breaks for makeup that is supposedly being used on the show, and then having scenes of characters using makeup so you can have a lingering closeup of the product and brand... I've honestly never seen that before in any show and it is definitely something worth complaining about.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm not gonna complain about any product placement less obtrusive than Chuck's Subway obsession.

EDIT: Y'know what? In a world where commercial breaks are becoming increasingly irrelevant, I'm okay with them switching entirely to in-show product placement. Ditch all ads. A three second shot of a Maybeline product versus a thirty to forty-five second ad? No contest.

Just don't be as bad about it as Chuck. Or Hawaii 5-0.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 6, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Given the sheer absurd amount of very specific product placement, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Covergirl is actually providing most of the show's operating budget.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Phylodox posted:

I'm not gonna complain about any product placement less obtrusive than Chuck's Subway obsession.

EDIT: Y'know what? In a world where commercial breaks are becoming increasingly irrelevant, I'm okay with them switching entirely to in-show product placement. Ditch all ads. A three second shot of a Maybeline product versus a thirty to forty-five second ad? No contest.

Just don't be as bad about it as Chuck. Or Hawaii 5-0.

I gave the Chuck Subway ads a pass because they basically saved the show.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!
I wish Jason had an open casket funeral so all the cast could exclaim how natural he looks with COVERGIRL® LashBlast™ Mascara.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

MorgaineDax posted:

I wish Jason had an open casket funeral so all the cast could exclaim how natural he looks with COVERGIRL® LashBlast™ Mascara.

No no no. They would have used COVERGIRL concealer to conceal the bullet hole.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'm waiting for the reveal that mama Blossom's maiden name was Vorhees.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

ynohtna posted:

I'm waiting for the reveal that mama Blossom's maiden name was Vorhees.

I have no idea what that would imply. Is that an American brand? Or a tertiary Archie comics character?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I have no idea what that would imply. Is that an American brand? Or a tertiary Archie comics character?

Jason wants a word with you.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Jason Voorhees, Friday the 13th, drowned when young, abusive mother, disfigured face, enjoys arising from water, hanging out in woods, sports paraphernalia, machetes, and proactively judging promiscuous youth.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jamesman posted:

But here, when you have commercial breaks for makeup that is supposedly being used on the show, and then having scenes of characters using makeup so you can have a lingering closeup of the product and brand... I've honestly never seen that before in any show and it is definitely something worth complaining about.

Is this the first TV show you watch in a decade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHuZ5qrYX4

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Jason wants a word with you.

Meh, I don't feel bad about not knowing that guys last name.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

Is this the first TV show you watch in a decade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHuZ5qrYX4

Never watched that show, but I read about it and admittedly forgot about it. Yeah, this is definitely worse.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Never watched that show, but I read about it and admittedly forgot about it. Yeah, this is definitely worse.

What the gently caress is with the camera in this? Like 20 cuts in a clip that's under a minute and the camera is never not moving.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jamesman posted:

This borders on parody. That's some Wayne's World level poo poo. It almost (but definitely doesn't) makes me want to watch the show.

Doesn't make me want Subway, though.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Oh boy, I wonder whose murder we'll be solving next year!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Pop Tate.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I hope the show goes as balls-to-the-wall crazy as the comics. But, like, so gradually that, by season seven, we're not even phased that the main plot involves Jon Bernthal's Frank Castle fighting off the Predator while Sabrina desperately tries to undo her soul-switching spell that's got everyone in the wrong bodies.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Phylodox posted:

I hope the show goes as balls-to-the-wall crazy as the comics. But, like, so gradually that, by season seven, we're not even phased that the main plot involves Jon Bernthal's Frank Castle fighting off the Predator while Sabrina desperately tries to undo her soul-switching spell that's got everyone in the wrong bodies.

hell yeahs let's go full once upon a time

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This isn't spoilery, but it is some interesting info.

In the first draft of Riverdale that was commissioned by the CW, Polly was actually living at home with the Coopers. She's clearly mentally loopy, and went through some DARK stuff. But she's not shipped off to the mental asylum and does not have a pregnant belly.

I guess they decided to ramp up the batshit factor with the mental institution from hell. I approve.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the original pilot draft had a number of interesting changes -- though I think the main loss is that Kevin's a bit more of an actual character (I suspect someone suggested that the original script was too gay).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Rich families did this poo poo, and worse, to their 'unruly' daughters all the time back in the day.
And still do.

"Take a woman of color. We have a brand to uphold."
I was wondering about that, is Veronica's mother supposed to be South American or something? Or did Josie just completely ignore her mother's instruction there?

Pan Dulce posted:

Was also thinking if they were going to pull a "Veronica sucks at singing," the way they did in some of the comics; it changed around depending on the issue, I think.
I was absolutely convinced that they were going to have Veronica get kicked out of both performances and never end up singing at all, making it impossible to tell if she was actually a good singer or not. Like, maybe she just thinks she's a good singer but she's actually terrible, or maybe she's a brilliant singer, and no one will ever find out. Slightly disappointed that she actually did end up on stage.

Phylodox posted:

:same:

Jamesman posted:

That is amazing. :allears:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, the original pilot draft had a number of interesting changes -- though I think the main loss is that Kevin's a bit more of an actual character (I suspect someone suggested that the original script was too gay).
It's interesting that Jughead seems to have almost entirely replaced him now. Episode one, he's Betty's best friend. Episode six, he's basically a background character.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Tiggum posted:

I was wondering about that, is Veronica's mother supposed to be South American or something? Or did Josie just completely ignore her mother's instruction there?

camila mendes and marisol nichols aren't white

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hermione also referred to Veronica as "mija" an episode or two ago.

Its super subtle, but definitely there in the text.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hermione also referred to Veronica as "mija" an episode or two ago.

Its super subtle, but definitely there in the text.

She's done so two or three times. It's more obvious when you binge.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Man, too many people in this thread apparently don't know about the stride gum episode of Smallville.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't cause gently caress Smallville.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
What's a smallville?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Reminder that Tony Topaz cyberbullied Veronica re: her ethnicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Reminder that Tony Topaz cyberbullied Veronica re: her ethnicity.

I love Ace McDonald's progression from "Burn" to "Workshoppepd burn" to "Who am I kidding"

• Locked thread